Rolf Lassgard Wallander

Comments

• jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Started my own thread on this with realising about this one :o

But I'd prefer Rolf as Wallander - he looks like a bloke you wouldn't want to **** with. I can't imagine the Krister version of Wallander kicking a hooker out of bed.:D
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was puzzled at first when I tuned in expecting a Krister Henriksson episode to find Boris Johnson had somehow got the lead role, but once I actually read the Radio Times and realised it was the film versions, I found it really good, a different take on the Wallander character and I thought probably closer to the books. Certainly it knocked Branagh's rather one dimensional version into the long, moodily atmospheric Swedish grass.

Looking forward to seeing more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    This is the, in Sweden, most popular film (from 1996) where Lassgård plays the lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mNIz1qHJ3Y

It’s called Jägarna (translated The Hunters) and is a film based on a true story about organised poaching in the north of Sweden

This is a film almost everyone in Sweden has seen, often more than once:D, and therefore it is also often, and easily, parodised.

We like big guys here ;) and Lassgård certainly is one of those. I saw him in the Stockholm underground a couple of weeks ago and he seem to be even taller in real life.
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC4 are broadcasting a programme next Monday all about "Nordic Noir" novels. Among the contributors are Henning Mankell and Krister Henriksson. The programme also covers novels from Norway and Iceland as well as those from Sweden.

The programme is shown just before part-two of Firewall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I missed the first couple of minutes of this episode and thought the plot involved someone impersonating Kurt. :o

I enjoyed the episode but prefer Krister in the role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the first Wallender where I've noticed that the external events were mirroring the internal life of Wallender himself. For example the car explodes (his relationship is in a precarious state). Plus you get these dream/fantasy sequences, and bits of voiceover. I guessed it would be closer to the novel and apparently this is the case. All rather more psychological.

The English version of the same story on the other hand is more Hollywood melodrama, plenty of emoting and everything resolved in the 'nick of time'.

Anyway I'm grateful for all these versions, nice that a television show has such depth of interpretation.
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also nice to be able to watch a foreign production with subtitles, it's nice to be treated as a grown up capable of handling subtitles instead of being considered too stupid to watch and read in real time. That and a plot that doesn't sanitise or reduce things down to 30 second chunks for the Goldfish generation.

Thank God for BBC4.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DBC wrote: »
    BBC4 are broadcasting a programme next Monday all about "Nordic Noir" novels. Among the contributors are Henning Mankell and Krister Henriksson. The programme also covers novels from Norway and Iceland as well as those from Sweden.

The programme is shown just before part-two of Firewall.

On the 27th they will be showing Italian Noir: The Story of Italian Crime Fiction followed by a repeat of one Inspector Montalbano episodes they showed last year
  • chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    It's also nice to be able to watch a foreign production with subtitles, it's nice to be treated as a grown up capable of handling subtitles instead of being considered too stupid to watch and read in real time.

I posted this on the other Wallander thread but if you are tolerant of subtitles and are on Virgin Media, the channel cinemoi is presently on a free trial basis until the end of January. Lots of subtitled films there. Jonathan Ross is now advertising the channel (I think there was something recently about him having invested/taken a stake in it).

Here be the link.

On a related note, I was listening to Front Row on Radio Four last night and there was mention of this:

"Rufus Sewell plays Michael Dibdin's Italian detective Aurelio Zen in a new TV adaptation. Crime writer NJ Cooper has been watching the series which begins on BBC One in the New Year."

The reviewer seemed broadly positive. I don't know anything of the books but since Wallander (in the multiple incarnations) has given me a taste for foreign detectives, I intend to give it a try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    I posted this on the other Wallander thread but if you are tolerant of subtitles and are on Virgin Media, the channel cinemoi is presently on a free trial basis until the end of January. Lots of subtitled films there. Jonathan Ross is now advertising the channel (I think there was something recently about him having invested/taken a stake in it).

Here be the link.
    The other main alternative is Film4, which randomly shows foreign films late at night, recent example being Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Tokyo Sonata.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MalUK wrote: »
    The other main alternative is Film4, which randomly shows foreign films late at night, recent example being Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Tokyo Sonata.

They have also shown Japanese horror films such as the Death Note and Ju-On series as well as the animated films of Studio Ghibli
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is to-night's 10pm showing just a repeat of Saturday's film, or is it the 2nd of a two parter?

Both Radio Times and the BBC4 websites don't really give any clue.

-rapido
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rapido wrote: »
    So is to-night's 10pm showing just a repeat of Saturday's film, or is it the 2nd of a two parter?

Both Radio Times and the BBC4 websites don't really give any clue.

-rapido

It's a repeat of last Saturday's episode.(The Man Who Smiled) . That's a complete film.

There is a two-parter next Saturday and Monday.(Firewal).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a repeat of last Saturday's episode.(The Man Who Smiled) . That's a complete film.

Many thanks, most appreciated.

-rapido
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked the extra length (said the actress....) as it felt more immersive but OTOH it allowed time for one too many shag scenes during which it was hard to know whose tits to look at! The man is just ludicrously oversized. Krister’s Krown is still safe.

Will definitely watch the next two-parter all in one go on the repeat to get the full benefit of 3 hours plus of immersion.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Liked the extra length (said the actress....) as it felt more immersive but OTOH it allowed time for one too many shag scenes during which it was hard to know whose tits to look at! The man is just ludicrously oversized. Krister’s Krown is still safe.

Will definitely watch the next two-parter all in one go on the repeat to get the full benefit of 3 hours plus of immersion.

alt-a = å on my laptop.

Did find this episode too long and compared with the Henriksson series there were a lot of "commercial break" moments, where something would happen and then it would fade to black. Did both versions run on the same channel in Sweden?

One other difference was that in the books Mankell writes about the beautiful countryside in Skåne and The Man Who Smiled had some atmospheric shots of the landscape, whereas the Henriksson Wallanders had their signature shot of Kurt strolling on the beach.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    alt-a = å on my laptop.

Did find this episode too long and compared with the Henriksson series there were a lot of "commercial break" moments, where something would happen and then it would fade to black. .

Had some sh*gging though. :)

So what's the chronological order here: was it filmed before and after the long series? (the crimes seemed to be 2000-2002).
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This ugly fat fella obviously uses Lynx deodorant as did Tom Sellick in Magnum that made them so an attractive to women.

No I don't think so either.

Gave it five minutes and called it a day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    Had some sh*gging though. :)

So what's the chronological order here: was it filmed before and after the long series? (the crimes seemed to be 2000-2002).

Apart from the last three all these "new" Wallanders were made before the Krister Henrikkson ones
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I liked Wallander, Maja and Lisa plus the two main suspects. Other characters like Linda were a bit flimsy. Perhaps they have more substantial roles in other episodes.
  • chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    There's an article in the Guardian today about Lassgard's portrayal of Wallander.

Link is here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    I liked Wallander, Maja and Lisa plus the two main suspects. Other characters like Linda were a bit flimsy. Perhaps they have more substantial roles in other episodes.

I thought Svedberg was good as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I thought Svedberg was good as well

The poor man gets murdered in the next-but-one episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poor man gets murdered in the next-but-one episode.

Oh, thanks.:(

In the Mousetrap, the butler did it :p

Anyone notice that Mr Dyson was the villain ? ;)
    http://www.bme.eu.com/media/media-news/news-thumb/091014/dyson.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    Oh, thanks.:(

It's in the Radio Times! Anyway the investigation of his murder is one of the two main plots of the episode. Without his death, you wouldn't have a story.