Which musical artist has the worst fanbase?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    To be honest, rock/metal really isn't so exciting or ground-breaking at the moment, infact I'd say it's in one of the worst states I've ever seen it in. Stuck in a time-loop with the same regurgitated cliches.

The same can be said for most popular genres in my opinion.

However, I agree with you that rock and metal fans are often a little bit pretentious and won't even look beyond their chosen scene, let alone accept other forms.

I am a bit pretentious but I don't instantly dismiss music because of it's genre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, I agree with you that rock and metal fans are often a little bit pretentious and won't even look beyond their chosen scene, let alone accept other forms.

I am a bit pretentious but I don't instantly dismiss music because of it's genre.

I think its more that, when metal fans are narrow minded and dismissive about other forms of music they seem in my experience to do it to an extent fans of other genres just can't measure up to.

I think its something inherant in the mindset of some metal fans, its a genre that revels in the "outsider" status.

Some of the most musically open minded people i've met have been metal fans, but it has to be said that the most closed minded people (not even just musically) that I know are metal fans.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Every single metal fan I've met, including myself, has had an eclectic taste in music that spans genres, decades and in some cases centuries.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many copies did it actually sell?

Worldwide, less than 2 million I'd say.

Which is less than Kesha's Animal :eek:
  • QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Justin Bieber fans. They threatened to kill Kim Kardashian because her & Bieber pretended to go on a date or something.

And they mocked Lily Allen when she had her miscarriage because she insulted Justin Bieber.
    It was absolutely disgusting to read the reaction of Bieber fans on Twitter when Lily Allen lost her baby - I remember following the story on another celeb gossip blog with my jaw on the desk at how cruel these little teenage girls were being; I am sure they think that the anonymity of a site like Twitter suddenly gives them the right to be as vile as they like. It would be interesting to see how they would react if their parents were to find out what they get up to online! :eek:
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2008/08b/jackolondonPA_450x300.jpg

http://dallasvintageshop.com/wp-content/uploads/dsc03215.JPG

michael jackson fans take the biscuit and trump them all. some of the most delusional wackjobs there ever was. blindly supporting someone faced with 20 charges of child abuse, who had a pet monkey as a friend and a personal zoo and fairground in his garden. it was like a competition to see who could be the weirdest between him and his fanatics. they would send death threats to people they disagreed with FFS

you can't compare those fans to those of lady gaga or justin beiber, as the wacko fans have been like that for decades, whilst the gaga beiber loonies won't keep up for long

http://blog.al.com/scenesource/2009/06/large_Michael%20Jackson%20fans%200626.jpg
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worldwide, less than 2 million I'd say.

Which is less than Kesha's Animal :eek:

1m at most
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    1m at most

Ouch!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bieber fans, standard. They are quite scary at times and will NOT accept anything bad against him, and are usually females who REALLY want to be noticed by him. It's kind of odd to be honest.

On the Gaga topic, I do agree that some of her fans go way overboard and really make themselves look stupid, but I refer to myself as a 'Little Monster' and have seen her live and consider her to be one of the best pop artists around, but am not irrational in any way and can often observe her flaws in any crap songs, and also get annoyed by her self-devotion but it's the way it goes.

Same with Britney, I am a huge fan of hers post-Toxic era, and think she is a great artist, but my god do her fans cling onto Baby One More Time. It makes me sick. She is a great artist with great sex appeal and great melodies. Can we please move on from Baby One More bloody Time.

And I agree, a lot of Metal/Rock fans are completely pretentious. I am finding this increasingly though with heavy Dubstep fans, who seem to thing their noise is very deep. Just to mention, I do own some Metal/Rock music and delve into Dubstep remixes when it strikes my fancy :).
  • teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2008/08b/jackolondonPA_450x300.jpg

http://dallasvintageshop.com/wp-content/uploads/dsc03215.JPG

michael jackson fans take the biscuit and trump them all. some of the most delusional wackjobs there ever was. blindly supporting someone faced with 20 charges of child abuse, who had a pet monkey as a friend and a personal zoo and fairground in his garden. it was like a competition to see who could be the weirdest between him and his fanatics. they would send death threats to people they disagreed with FFS

you can't compare those fans to those of lady gaga or justin beiber, as the wacko fans have been like that for decades, whilst the gaga beiber loonies won't keep up for long

http://blog.al.com/scenesource/2009/06/large_Michael%20Jackson%20fans%200626.jpg

Innocent until proven guilty, surely?
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any fans that take their obsessions to extremes, really. Such as Justin Bieber fans who threaten to kill people who speak badly of him, or sob and cry because they cant have him. Teenage girls in general really just piss me off completely.

gaga fans who call her Godga, or say Oh My Lady Gaga. Shes not God. Shes a very good artist and is very talented but thats about it. I hate the way shes latched onto the fact that shes a gay icon and all of a sudden its "all about the gays". Just Cashing in on peoples hysteria and delusion.

One Direction fans who genuinely believe they have talent. The same goes for The Wanted. Again, teenage girls piss me off to no end.

Dubstep fans who listen to nothing but that bass-heavy drivel. I know one guy who has Dubstep as his middle name on facebook, and says dubstep is his life and all he lives for. We are not friends.

Basically any fans who take their love to extremes and just go crazy. The only exception is Beyonce fans, because Beyonce is genuinely absolutely incredible and worthy of any praise she gets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Chris Brown's "RIHANNA DESERVED 2 GET BEAT" contingent has to be worth a mention, surely?
  • Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    korean fans :eek: anybody who knows 2NE1, Girl's Generation, Super Junior, TVXQ, Big Bang and Kara will know how bad there fans are........even worse than Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, Britney ect stans
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Innocent until proven guilty, surely?

you miss the point. with almost any other murder or child abuse case people are braying for blood when they hear about suspects, particularly in child abuse cases, yet MJ fans blindly support him without knowing the truth, even though he admitted on tv in an interview to sleeping with kids and said he thought it was perfectly normal. and MJ is someone with a proven track record for openly lying about things (ie. plastic surgery and skin bleaching) as his father taught him to do that to protect the family

with any other musician, or person for that matter, they wouldn't get that kind of support. you didn't get gary glitter fans or pete townsend fans protesting did you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady GaGa fans drive me up the wall. I enjoy her music but, for God's sake, she is not the second coming.

If you don't worship at her feet and slam other artists in an effort to big her up further, other GaGa fans just don't seem to understand.

I blame Perez Hilton.
  • _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Brown's "RIHANNA DESERVED 2 GET BEAT" contingent has to be worth a mention, surely?

These people actually exsist? How scary! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member

seriously. on twitter. some of his maniac fans still think that he was right to do that because she was getting to big for her boots and also- she gave him herpes. THAT'S A APPARENTLY.
    I remember someone interviewed Rihanna asking her what the upsetting rumour shes heard about herself was and she said about the herpes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for the obsessive Bieber fans because in a few years most of them will be completely mortified at how silly they looked. :D

Agreed, that's why I'm cutting them some slack and not listing them in this thread. :D

Hopefully the majority will just naturally grow out of their immature, stupid behavior.
  • da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say xtina fans, I got slaughtered for saying she had a bad performance so i stopped talking about her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    seriously. on twitter.

Yeah, http://twitter.com/search/rihanna%20deserved certainly makes for depressing reading...
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neel wrote: »
    I think its more that, when metal fans are narrow minded and dismissive about other forms of music they seem in my experience to do it to an extent fans of other genres just can't measure up to.

I think its something inherant in the mindset of some metal fans, its a genre that revels in the "outsider" status.

Some of the most musically open minded people i've met have been metal fans, but it has to be said that the most closed minded people (not even just musically) that I know are metal fans.

I'm a huge rock/metal fan and I agree with this.

Some metal fans just refuse to listen to anything else, and like you say, it's not really snobbery so much as the mindset of metal. The genre has never been given the attention by the mainstream media or radio it's massive worldwide fanbase deserves, and so for some metal fans it's a case of "us vs. them". This is mostly prevalent among young metal fans it has to be said, most of them will grow out of that attitude when they're no longer teenagers.

Conversely, Roadrunner Records recently interviewed some rock/metal stars to ask them what their top albums of 2010 were, and you should see the sheer variety - everything from hip-hop to death metal to electro to smooth piano jazz! It's often said that metal has more in common with classical music than you would think - intricate structural compositions, emphasis on volume/dynamics and a unique fanbase. It's not surprising that so many metal bands incorporate elements of classical music into their performance, and indeed there is a whole genre - symphonic metal - dedicated to that style of music.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Lady GaGa fans drive me up the wall. I enjoy her music but, for God's sake, she is not the second coming.

If you don't worship at her feet and slam other artists in an effort to big her up further, other GaGa fans just don't seem to understand.

I blame Perez Hilton.

How did I forget to mention him?!:eek:

What a f**king creep.
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Gaga has the most vile fanbase. No question about it.

(Kylie's fans are just innocently deluded, hardly ever than mean.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's unfair for FMs to state universially who has the ''worse fanbase'. IMO, it's looking at things from simplistic shades. There is good and bad in all fanbases. Not every GaGa Fan is a wierdo, not even teenage girl who loves a boyband or whatever is a scary obessive, not every Beyonce Fan is a OTT Stan and not every Xtina fan denies that Bionic wasn't her best. I find, the OTT fans in fanbases tend to be the most vocal, and thus make it seem the entire fanbase is that way.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I think it's unfair for FMs to state universially who has the ''worse fanbase'. IMO, it's looking at things from simplistic shades. There is good and bad in all fanbases. Not every GaGa Fan is a wierdo, not even teenage girl who loves a boyband or whatever is a scary obessive, not every Beyonce Fan is a OTT Stan and not every Xtina fan denies that Bionic wasn't her best. I find, the OTT fans in fanbases tend to be the most vocal, and thus make it seem the entire fanbase is that way.

That's an interesting way of looking at it.:)

So... are we just posting about the nuttiest of the nutters, then?:D:o