hungry cat.

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have the same problem with our cat but as he is 18 it's age related. He has been cleared of any illness by the vet.

He drove us nearly demented with constant crying for food. No sooner had he eaten than he was tripping us over in the kitchen for more. It was endless. In desperation I was giving him more food to basically shut him up :mad: It failed as he ate it and was then sick.

We have now excepted it's age related and confusion. What is working at the moment is buying some cheap cooked chicken and chopping it up very small and adding it to a pouch of food. Then I have found myself giving him a little saucer of single cream ( I know ) if he starts crying again. Seems to fill him up so he will finally go to sleep. I have put a cat bed in the spare room and now put him in and shut the door.

I have read age makes a cat just forget they have eaten. Our boy is also showing signs of being confused when outside so keeping him in now. Hope you find a solution for you both.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    thank you:)

he`s 14, hopefully he`ll go for a few years yet. i`m getting some cat toys today so perhaps that`ll divert his attention.

the decline is sad and worrying isn`t it, i hope your cat`s a gentle one:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi.

He is a beautiful ginger boy. Had him since he was a kitten. The most loving cat we have ever had. To look at him he seems big and chunky but if you pick him up he is quite frail. The vet has given him the all clear but I did think a thyroid problem when the endless crying for food started. Never experienced anything like it. He was becoming a danger in the kitchen as always round our feet when trying to cook. The noise was like a crying baby, not even a normal sound.

All seems calm if we get him fed, give a little cream and then pop him into the spare room and he goes to sleep. Otherwise he just gets worse and worse crying for the food.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Hi.

He is a beautiful ginger boy. Had him since he was a kitten. The most loving cat we have ever had. To look at him he seems big and chunky but if you pick him up he is quite frail. The vet has given him the all clear but I did think a thyroid problem when the endless crying for food started. Never experienced anything like it. He was becoming a danger in the kitchen as always round our feet when trying to cook. The noise was like a crying baby, not even a normal sound.

All seems calm if we get him fed, give a little cream and then pop him into the spare room and he goes to sleep. Otherwise he just gets worse and worse crying for the food.

my old cat [23] did that when she went dotty, she stopped if i called her, regardless of whether she came, i read that they just need to know that you`re there. it`s a horribly distressing sound isn`t it.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thank you:)

he`s 14, hopefully he`ll go for a few years yet. i`m getting some cat toys today so perhaps that`ll divert his attention.

the decline is sad and worrying isn`t it, i hope your cat`s a gentle one:)

I was going to suggest cat toys - ours (who is younger than yours) has a toy box (yeah, spoilt) and loves playing.

She particularly likes tennis balls and pink things. The favourite at the minute is a pink mouse, pink ball and a pink furry thing.