Food Prices In London

fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
Forum Member
How expensive is it to eat out compared to other places?

Is McDonalds etc expensive?

Comments

• CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Very!
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same price
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    How expensive is it compared to other places?

Do you mean eating out or supermarket shopping?

Eating out can range from ridiculously expensive in tourist hotspots and high end restaurants to pretty reasonable in a local cafe or greasy spoon. Probably a bit more expensive than some other places though because rents are higher.

I assume supermarkets are about the same.

I think McDs is the same tbh, except in specific locations like Leicester square etc, again rents are probably the reason (and the fact that they can skin tourists).
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same price

As above
  • GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I brought a Big Mac in Kensington for £4.99 which is the standard rate if I recall.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Gage wrote: »
    I brought a Big Mac in Kensington for £4.99 which is the standard rate if I recall.

Really, it is cheaper where I live. A Big Mac medium meal where I live is at most around £4.09.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Standard for London or for McD nationwide?

It's around £3.69 up here I think.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Do you mean eating out or supermarket shopping?

Eating out can range from ridiculously expensive in tourist hotspots and high end restaurants to pretty reasonable in a local cafe or greasy spoon. Probably a bit more expensive than some other places though because rents are higher.

I assume supermarkets are about the same.

I think McDs is the same tbh, except in specific locations like Leicester square etc, again rents are probably the reason (and the fact that they can skin tourists).

I mean eating out.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    I mean eating out.

Fair enough, in which case it is probably a bit more expensive on average, but there is such a massive range of options that you should be able to find something to suit your budget. Have a look on this website, it lets you specify how much you want to pay.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think food in London is cheap.

A prime example is the chain TGIF. The one in Piccadilly is cheaper than ours in Toronto, that's craaaazy.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prices for things in general for London are more expensive. However, the prices for bus travel is quite cheap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    Relatively expensive I think.

I can get through £50 of food in a day easily, or around £1500 a month of food alone.

But I can get by on £50 a month for food without difficulty.

Restaurants are in some cases a total rip-off but it depends where you go. There's a niche for all wallets.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relatively expensive I think.

I can get through £50 of food in a day easily, or around £1500 a month of food alone.

But I can get by on £50 a month for food without difficulty.

Restaurants are in some cases a total rip-off but it depends where you go. There's a niche for all wallets.

except mine...what the heck do you eat spending £50 a month on food?
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Standard for London or for McD nationwide?

It's around £3.69 up here I think.

It's £4.09 down this way I think (Devon)

I'm quite disappointed in myself that I can quote the price of big mac meal. :(
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    since when is MC D's "eating" ?!
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    since when is MC D's "eating" ?!

there's always one :rolleyes:
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you are talking about the sandwich on its own without the meal then no way did you pay that much.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,633
    Forum Member
    We have far more choice of dining options in London compared to the rest of the country. You can pretty much find a meal for whatever you're prepared to pay if you know where to look and avoid the obvious tourist traps.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    not been to mcdonald`s for a couple of years but most things here are roughly the same as in london, i can`t imagine they`d be any different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    It depends on what you want to eat and where. Places like Wetherspoons are cheap but it's not really the greatest food in the world.

You also have noodle bars, some places do buffet's which can be quite cheap and almost chearful.

First of all you need to decide what you call cheap? I call anything under £10 cheap, but I go for a meal with a group of people, the stereotypical I'm a pensioner and have no money that bitch and complain if it's above £6. They're pensioners you know, they have no money (bingo money doesn't count as that is a necessity for life). Tight bastards! :(

I know of one person that goes into pubs that do two meals for £7.50 (or whatever it is) order two meals despite being on his own. When they arrive he get tupperware boxes out packs the spare meal up and takes it home to reheat the next day.

Have to give him credit, it does work out a cheaper way to live, even if you do look like a nutter to everyone around you. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming you mean 'proper' eating out, sitting down, waiter service etc. I've found the main difference to be you pay what it says on the menu and veg/sides are usually included in that price outside London. In London, and I expect most cities, it's more common to add 'opional' service charges and to charge for all veg individually.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you hang around SOAS at lunchtime the Hare Krishnas turn up with veggie curry that you can get a huge portion of for a couple of quid :D
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,633
    Forum Member
    Assuming you mean 'proper' eating out, sitting down, waiter service etc. I've found the main difference to be you pay what it says on the menu and veg/sides are usually included in that price outside London. In London, and I expect most cities, it's more common to add 'opional' service charges and to charge for all veg individually.

What?! Most places charge for 'sides' on top of whatever you order as your main course, regardless of geographical location.

It depends more on the establishment. Some places class 'sides' as part of the main meal, others don't.

Service charges are also normal across the country.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    What?! Most places charge for 'sides' on top of whatever you order as your main course, regardless of geographical location.

It depends more on the establishment. Some places class 'sides' as part of the main meal, others don't.

Service charges are also normal across the country.

Not here. Most places will charge £18-£22 for fillet steak but that price is all inclusive.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bloody hate the rip-off practice of charging extra for veg. I know it's pointed out on the menu but if you haven't seen the menu before you sit down it's a bit late then.:mad: