Options

The Term Knacker - Irish fans please confirm

JillyAJillyA Posts: 2,205
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read on a different website the other day in connection with a completely different matter that the term"knacker" in Ireland refers to a member of the travelling community. Can any Irish fans please confirm whether that is correct and if that is the case should BB be warning Marc over calling Harry a knacker?

Comments

• Options
    lee_mcclearylee_mccleary Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah its a term for travellers and theyd knock you out for saying it to their face.
    He shouldnt be warned though.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. Marc himself is from that community and it's a common word.
  • Options
    KT_DogKT_Dog Posts: 6,385
    Forum Member
    I've heard the term spoken by our west-land cousins too... I believe it's just a version of 'chav'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why shouldn't he be warned - he was using it in a derogatory way and therefore in a racist manner surely?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »

Is he? I keep hearing this but couldn't get confirmation on it.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

He's not a traveller
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Irish slang for Chav.
  • Options
    lee_mcclearylee_mccleary Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KT_Dog wrote: »
    I've heard the term spoken by our west-land cousins too... I believe it's just a version of 'chav'.

Worse than chav, alot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeenieTina wrote: »
    Is he? I keep hearing this but couldn't get confirmation on it.

I read that he lived in a caravan before he went to study Chemistry and Bio.
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    yeah it can be used for travelers but is more commonly used towards "scumbags" from what ive heard
  • Options
    sheils1sheils1 Posts: 16,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JillyA wrote: »
    But why shouldn't he be warned - he was using it in a derogatory way and therefore in a racist manner surely?

oh please, why all the racist shite.:o:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Urban Dictionary top result.

TOP DEFINITION
    knacker
    Incestuous, boxing, sovereign ring wearing, tracksuited shaven headed scumbags. Girls wear bellytops (Even if they're 15 stone), guys are small, jewelry and violence are rampant. Enjoy having children with sisters, looking at you with squinty eyes and scaring people. In many places refers to SCUMBAGS in general, and good travellers are not covered by the word - depening where you're from.
    "C'mear yow, give oos a fooking Yaro boss or I'll fooking box ya" said the knacker.

:D
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JillyA wrote: »

Harry is clearly not from the Travelling commuinity so therefore he was not being Racist towards her..i'm puzzled you think he was :confused:
  • Options
    PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He basically called her an old **** snd he'd be right to.
  • Options
    erin_perin_p Posts: 25,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I goggled and got this
    However, in modern usage, especially in Ireland, the word has come to describe both those from lower-class backgrounds who tend to engage in anti-social behaviour, as well as those of an Irish Traveller background. In this sense, the usage of the word "knacker" is akin to the usage of the term "chav" in England and ned in Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worse than chav, alot.

But I don't get why Marc gets all the wrath when she has said equally bad things too.

Smash his face in? The C word. That's OK because she's a girl? Maybe why Helen got away with it.
  • Options
    KT_DogKT_Dog Posts: 6,385
    Forum Member
    I read that he lived in a caravan before he went to study Chemistry and Bio.

My Uncle Terry lives in a caravan and he's not a knacker... I mean he's on the sex offenders register and thinks Jesus talks to him through traffic lights... But he's not a knacker. So think on.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Short for knacker's yard, and yes, in Yorkshire at least, it's a derogatory term for travellers, as a play off their horses and the rag and bone trade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I thought that using derogatory terms against the travelling community was now considered as heinous as using the N word and inappropriate these days. Emily was evicted for using the N word.
  • Options
    erin_perin_p Posts: 25,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Uncle Terry lives in a caravan and he's not a knacker... I mean he's on the sex offenders register and thinks Jesus talks to him through traffic lights... But he's not a knacker. So think on.

sorry but reading that made me spit my coffee out :D:D

Post of the night
  • Options
    jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's someone who collects dead animals , but it is also used as an insult meaning low class person , who might steal anything that isn't nail down
  • Options
    pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same as chav, less offensive version of scumbag..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    It's slang for scumbag.
  • Options
    SneakyBooSneakyBoo Posts: 7,850
    Forum Member
    Yeah its a term for travellers and theyd knock you out for saying it to their face.
    He shouldnt be warned though.

You could really use it towards anyone as long as they are not from the traveller community because then it is offensive and as you say they would belt the face off ya for it. Loads of Irish people use it to insult each other as a bit of banter don't you know :D
  • Options
    SneakyBooSneakyBoo Posts: 7,850
    Forum Member

Oh Jesus H Christ :D:D:D