Options

migrants

Comments

• Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    this wrote: »
    Even kids can get an AK in Africa. Just saying.

OK so they have help fair enough but the African problem is that continents problem not ours.

But they are our problem - because they are trying to come here. We must do more to ensure that there are proper refugee camps closer to the countries where there is conflict and that these have a long-term plan to provide work and education for people who may spend decades waiting until it is safe to return.

And having an 'AK' is not going to protect you against an army, with RPGs and armoured cars. Babies and toddlers can't use an AK. All waving an AK about will get you is dead.
  • Options
    thisthis Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I think the government, supermarkets and the internet helped put the high street to bed, wait until $supermarket picks up on demand those shops will again close down with inevitability those areas will soon become housing.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    [/B]
    I'm sure the people I know who have lived here all their lives, have run businesses in Thanet, worked in the NHS here for years, will be heartened by such comments.

The one thing holding Thanet back as an area is the insular nature of many of the residents here and most intelligent people here understand that. You cannot live in the 50s and expect continual improvement in quality of life when looking backwards.
  • Options
    liftmasterliftmaster Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    We don't know that that will happen, but quite frankly, yeah, whatever it takes for the leaders of the world to unite and address global issues together instead of these petty insular mindsets that they all seem to have which only leads to finger pointing and the blame game whilst getting nothing done.

We could be living on Mars by now if they all just worked together.

If ever the far right needed something to boost their popularity, that would do it....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the government, supermarkets and the internet helped put the high street to bed, wait until $supermarket picks up on demand those shops will again close down with inevitability those areas will soon become housing.

Theres plenty of supermarkets in Thanet, one on Northdown Road itself, then Aldi further down the same road, then Morrisons in Margate, then loads throughout the rest of Thanet and tons at Westwood Cross.

Cliftonville has the biggest potential out of all the areas in Thanet to be a really thriving, quirky independent high street and all the new comers opening new shops down there now, in the last 6 months or so show that they are the ones breathing life into the area, not the people that have been therefore for decades.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    The one thing holding Thanet back as an area is the insular nature of many of the residents here and most intelligent people here understand that. You cannot live in the 50s and expect continual improvement in quality of life when looking backwards.

In 30 -40 years you won't have to worry about that, the immigrants will have sorted it they are out breeding us and there will be little of Britain left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theres plenty of supermarkets in Thanet, one on Northdown Road itself, then Aldi further down the same road, then Morrisons in Margate, then loads throughout the rest of Thanet and tons at Westwood Cross.

Cliftonville has the biggest potential out of all the areas in Thanet to be a really thriving, quirky independent high street and all the new comers opening new shops down there now, in the last 6 months or so show that they are the ones breathing life into the area, not the people that have been therefore for decades.

ok report back in 5 years tell us how that potential worked out.
    It is how business works
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tia how many of the premises are Restaurants?
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Millions of people left British cities or sent their children away during WW2 - and we were not invaded remember.... where the Nazis did invade huge numbers of refugees fled in front of their armies. It is what people do when they are unarmed and tanks/planes and armed troops are coming towards them.

Populations in Europe pretty much stayed where they were, there was no where to flee to, could the French flee abroad to Holland, Belgium, Italy, Norway, Greece, Poland, Hungary, Denmark etc? Of course not because the whole of Europe was consumed by war and Switzerland was cut off by razor wire. Many British children were evacuated but their parents weren't the notion that 'millions left British cities' is totaly incorrect, where would all these millions have gone anyway? Ireland was neutral but no significant numbers moved there during the war, people stayed and fought.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    The UK has "opted in" and chosen to take the grand total of 500 by the end of 2017.

The US have done and are committed to carry on taking 80,000 annually. .

http://www.fmreview.org/preventing/kornfeld

That's good of them, they can clear Calais at a stroke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok report back in 5 years tell us how that potential worked out.
    It is how business works

You dont know this area and you need to know the history of Westwood Cross before you assume that.

Cliftonville, and Margate and to some extent the other areas of Thanet have been going downhill for years and years, a somewhat backward area in a beautiful setting with lovely beaches and countryside around.

Westwood Cross nearly all but broke it and the worries were that all the local high streets were down the pan. Obviously Broadstairs survived better than the others because it remains mainly independent and restauranty, but in the last 5 years Margate and Cliftonville have been making massive improvements.

If (as the other poster implied) there has been massive change in Cliftonville over the last few years due to immigrants, then it has to be said that one of the changes at least is positive in that the shopping areas have spruced up, some of the areas are gentrifying and more shops are opening and doing business. Most of those new businesses are by newcomers.

The internet and supermarkets are always a risk but if you have people in an area willing to move forward and keep up with new things then you have the edge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tia how many of the premises are Restaurants?

There are a few more springing up, I dont live in Cliftonville but often visit there for one thing or another, at a guess I would say maybe a quarter, its not a particularly restaranty area, although some of the restaurants are getting really rave reviews.

Most of the new shops are furniture, items like that, lifestyle stuff, theres no clothing that I have seen, food shops, a very expensive soap and perfume shop which I cant wait to visit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Populations in Europe pretty much stayed where they were, there was no where to flee to, could the French flee abroad to Holland, Belgium, Italy, Norway, Greece, Poland, Hungary, Denmark etc? Of course not because the whole of Europe was consumed by war and Switzerland was cut off by razor wire. Many British children were evacuated but their parents weren't the notion that 'millions left British cities' is totaly incorrect, where would all these millions have gone anyway? Ireland was neutral but no significant numbers moved there during the war, people stayed and fought.

The number of refugees in WW2, both during the Nazis move across Europe and as the allies counter-attacked in 1943-45 were huge. The British and French forces were severely hampered because the roads were filled with civilians running from the Germans. 90,000 people were evacuated from Strasbourg alone... people went to France, then Spain and Portugal trying to keep ahead of the invasion - or to Sweden or Switzerland.. At the end of the war even more people were displaced... hundreds of thousands left Eastern European countries to escape the Russian army. Millions were displaced in the war - even two years after the end of the war there were still 850,000 people in displaced persons camps, the last of which did not close until the 1960s.

As for Britain - 3.5 million people were relocated in Britain.. nearly 1.5 million in the first three days of the evacuation. A million children, but also many others... including many government departments, teachers, disabled people, mothers, And that is just the ones the government helped to move... many other civilians left if they could.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You dont know this area and you need to know the history of Westwood Cross before you assume that.

Cliftonville, and Margate and to some extent the other areas of Thanet have been going downhill for years and years, a somewhat backward area in a beautiful setting with lovely beaches and countryside around.

Westwood Cross nearly all but broke it and the worries were that all the local high streets were down the pan. Obviously Broadstairs survived better than the others because it remains mainly independent and restauranty, but in the last 5 years Margate and Cliftonville have been making massive improvements.

If (as the other poster implied) there has been massive change in Cliftonville over the last few years due to immigrants, then it has to be said that one of the changes at least is positive in that the shopping areas have spruced up, some of the areas are gentrifying and more shops are opening and doing business. Most of those new businesses are by newcomers.

The internet and supermarkets are always a risk but if you have people in an area willing to move forward and keep up with new things then you have the edge.

Like you say I don't know the area, in fact i don't know it all.
    The shops that went under/moved what sort of goods/services did they supply? Obviously this is a question of economy, the old businesses were not viable any longer due to demand or running costs and now newcomers (sounds like district 9 :D i think i uttered it first maybe...) move in set up shop and seem to be doing well, whilst locals are shopping there i don't believe it's the target customer base if you see what i mean.

Bugger I don't even know what shops the newcomers are running so i can't say anything but i would guess at food stores (foods from home lol).
  • Options
    ilarilar Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    3.5 million people were officially evacuated - banks government depts etc, in actual fact it was more like 1.474 million. Many areas had approx 15% evacuation other than Liverpool and Manchester were it was 80% mainly children. Only 40% of children in total were evacuated not the 80% expected by the government.
    As to overseas the government evacuated 1,532 to Canada, 577 to Australia, 353 to South Africa, 202 to New Zealand. Approx 14,000 were evacuated by private arrangements ie to relatives abroad. 6,000 TO Canada, 5,000 to the US. Presumably the government arranged it with the countries receiving these children and the private arrangements were official as well, they didn't turn up banging on the door demanding their rights.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've got to get this sorted soon. I feel sorry for businesses down there, for hauliers, for coach companies, for pregnant women trying to get to hospital .... It just goes on and on with no sign of improving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We need a gibloodygantic sign that says closed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ilar wrote: »
    3.5 million people were officially evacuated - banks government depts etc, in actual fact it was more like 1.474 million. Many areas had approx 15% evacuation other than Liverpool and Manchester were it was 80% mainly children. Only 40% of children in total were evacuated not the 80% expected by the government.
    As to overseas the government evacuated 1,532 to Canada, 577 to Australia, 353 to South Africa, 202 to New Zealand. Approx 14,000 were evacuated by private arrangements ie to relatives abroad. 6,000 TO Canada, 5,000 to the US. Presumably the government arranged it with the countries receiving these children and the private arrangements were official as well, they didn't turn up banging on the door demanding their rights.

The point is that, no matter where they live, people run when armies are approaching. All over Europe in WW2 people tried to reach safety and they were sensible to do so. As for the rights of refugees - it was because of the experiences in WW2 that the international laws on refugee rights were created.

As for demanding... "One refugee was described as going about 'as if he was a duke', while some local refugee committees complained about individuals demanding a higher standard of living." - that was written in 1914, when 100,000 Belgians came to the UK after Germany invaded. As the French say 'plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair enough but it still wasn't millions and when you say evacuated it meant to a different area of this country not into another country. There was no where to go for the huge majority of this country I don't recall any stories of people taking boats from the Devon and Cornish coast to Spain or Ireland, there may have been a few of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ilar wrote: »
    Fair enough but it still wasn't millions and when you say evacuated it meant to a different area of this country not into another country. There was no where to go for the huge majority of this country I don't recall any stories of people taking boats from the Devon and Cornish coast to Spain or Ireland, there may have been a few of course.

It was millions (I don't know where you got your idea it wasn't ) and as we were not invaded there was no need for people to leave the country, just go to safer areas. If we had been invaded then people may well have taken boats to Ireland, Spain, Portugal or Sweden. The only reason there were not British roads filled with refugees trying to escape the Germans was because the Germans didn't invade.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need a gibloodygantic sign that says closed.
    they will strap some barrels on and be punting across the channel on it in no time
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was millions (I don't know where you got your idea it wasn't ) and as we were not invaded there was no need for people to leave the country, just go to safer areas. If we had been invaded then people may well have taken boats to Ireland, Spain, Portugal or Sweden. The only reason there were not British roads filled with refugees trying to escape the Germans was because the Germans didn't invade.

The Nazis invaded the Channel Islands and as far as I'm aware the population pretty much remaind there for the length of the war. I doubt many Brits would have taken to sea had we been invaded, they'd have been sitting ducks for the German Navy and U boats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Nazis invaded the Channel Islands and as far as I'm aware the population pretty much remaind there for the length of the war. I doubt many Brits would have taken to sea had we been invaded, they'd have been sitting ducks for the German Navy and U boats.

17,000 out of 42,000 people left Guernsey. 6,600 out of 50,000 left Jersey. In total about a third of the population of all the islands left - virtually every person on Alderney did.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Obviously not being intelligent, I won't have a smart answer to this, but one does wonder, when so many have taken the risk to set up new business in Margate and Cliftonville, exactly why a sudden about turn has been made on the decision to use Manston Airfield as a giant lorry park during the height of tourist season. That's going to do wonders for the roads coastbound etc.

I also did not say that immigrants in Cliftonville in the 'last few years' had caused change, but further back than that . Quite obviously,the very recent improvements, which both locals and newcomers have started, are no thanks to the state of Cliftonville/Kosoville residents, but in spite of it, trying to change the damage done.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I got the info from various places including a programme or two on Britain in WW2 and a primary school based series of lessons on the subject.
This discussion has been closed.