OnMedica - Goody effect on cervical screening wanes

OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.onmedica.com/newsarticle.aspx?id=45aad5c0-ff44-4ef9-9d50-b27db7561e7f
New figures show that the rise in women coming for cervical screening in the wake of the death of TV celebrity Jade Goody from cervical cancer was only transitory.

Between August 2008 (when Jade was first diagnosed with cancer) and June 2009 (3 months after she died) there was a 35% increase in the number of young women wanting a smear test.

But within 6 months of Jade's death, figures were down to previous levels. It seems that although women heard the message, they soon forgot it.

Regrettable, but entirely predictable once the "hysteria" died down ..... :(

Comments

• Huffy1968Huffy1968 Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I still maintain Jade had no right taking credit for the increase in screenings, at least something good came out of her and Clifford's misinformation, exaggeration and scaremongering. It's a pity it didn't last longer. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People should read her diaries - then they wouldn't forget.

Poor girl :(
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eviesmum wrote: »
    People should read her diaries - then they wouldn't forget.

Poor girl :(

or read letters from their GP inviting them in for screening?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True, but if an approach isn't working for a substantial minority of people, perhaps time to try a different approach. If the chlamydia screening advertisements turn out to have worked, maybe something similar could be done for smear tests. A difficult gig I know, since on this occasion 'peeing in a pot' really isn't enough. When you think of it, nothing is more reasonable than a young woman being frightened of a stranger sticking things up her vagina. It is surprising that anyone goes through with it at all. Someone you just don't care as much when you are older, and a smear turns into a useful opportunity to lie down in the daytime.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Uh Oh!!!!! ;):D
  • i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but if an approach isn't working for a substantial minority of people, perhaps time to try a different approach. If the chlamydia screening advertisements turn out to have worked, maybe something similar could be done for smear tests. A difficult gig I know, since on this occasion 'peeing in a pot' really isn't enough. When you think of it, nothing is more reasonable than a young woman being frightened of a stranger sticking things up her vagina. It is surprising that anyone goes through with it at all. Someone you just don't care as much when you are older, and a smear turns into a useful opportunity to lie down in the daytime/B].

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »

Its true though....all this cr*p about her being misdiagnosed....she failed to turn up for follow up appointments on several occasions...the hospital has many many more patients than her to concentrate on...she was to blame for her own condition...not the NHS
  • FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    Its true though....all this cr*p about her being misdiagnosed....she failed to turn up for follow up appointments on several occasions...the hospital has many many more patients than her to concentrate on...she was to blame for her own condition...not the NHS

Gosh - milk of human kindness running through those veins of yours.

Maybe you and JSP aren't as far apart as I thought.
  • OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, regrettably .....
    After her fourth abnormal smear she ignored a letter telling her to return to hospital and went on the Indian version of Big Brother, called Bigg Boss, for a £100,000 fee.

Jade, 27, confessed: “I couldn’t think about it.You know me – just brush it under the carpet and hope it will go away.

“They’d sent a letter to me ages ago telling me I needed to go in, but I’d been too scared to do anything about it.”

AUG 27, 2008

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/48758/I-ignored-urgent-cancer-op-for-Big-Brother/
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read her diary on holiday, it was a very sad read, and in it, she admits she stuck her head in the sand and it was no-one's fault but her own. Once she acted, it was too late.

Despite the general opinion of her on here, I thought she was an incredibly brave woman.
  • DGZMDGZM Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I read her diary on holiday, it was a very sad read, and in it, she admits she stuck her head in the sand and it was no-one's fault but her own. Once she acted, it was too late.

Despite the general opinion of her on here, I thought she was an incredibly brave woman.

Of course she was stupid to ignore the signs, but the spite of people never ceases to amaze me.
    She didn´t deserve to die and I am pretty sure many people are afraid and done the same thing, she will not be the first and sadly not the last.
    I think any person who suffers with cancer is brave,...even if they are Jade Goody!
  • DGZMDGZM Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Fringo wrote: »

Exactly what I thought myself!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some good came of the diary :

27/03/2009
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h_KVYe_gFKeXfcjo_94k5R4uN9Xg
    HarperCollins will make a minimum contribution of £25,000 from the proceeds of the book to Marie Curie Cancer Care.

This would pay for the care of 156 terminally ill people on Mother's Day.

All Goody's royalties from the book will go towards the care and upbringing of sons Bobby, aged five, and four-year-old Freddy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »

couldnt stand her but Im sorry for her kids that she died so young...
    My comment was aimed at her family and 'friends' who are supposedly suing the NHS for her 'misdiagnosis' when in reality it was JG own ignorance that caused her ultimate death...bearing in mind that she admitted herself that she ignored the follow up letters and 'buried her head in the sand'

I am nothing like JSP and I take huge offence at being compared to her in any way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My comment was aimed at her family and 'friends' who are supposedly suing the NHS for her 'misdiagnosis' when in reality it was JG own ignorance that caused her ultimate death...bearing in mind that she admitted herself that she ignored the follow up letters and 'buried her head in the sand'
    I don't know about the family and friends but from MC's Dr Coxon :

20 Mar 2010
    Harley Street consultant and former NHS doctor Ann said: "Jade's symptoms - which included heavy and irregular bleeding, pain and abnormal smear tests - can all indicate cancer. There should have been alarm bells ringing.

"Jade's death was completely unnecessary and preventable. She died of neglect and of incompetence."

However :
    Dr Coxon also revealed Jade skipped several tests as she was told on a previous visit - nine months before her cancer diagnosis - that she could not have any more children.

So, "neglect and of incompetence" or 'ignorance and avoidance'

:confused:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2900286/Cancer-docs-verdict-The-NHS-let-down-Jade-Goody.html
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, no-one should die that young, or in such a terrible fashion... but the fact remains, if she'd not been such a complete idiot, she'd very likely be alive now, and that's where all this "St. Jade/People's Princess" nonsense grates. In the final analysis, she died of a curable condition because she ignored not only the evidence of four abnormal smear results but several follow up letters, preferring to go on a reality TV show instead with the set intention of a) boosting her bank balance and b) improving her public image (which let us not forget was at a very low ebb back then). She died of stupidity. Hers.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May be it's different up and down the country but I had my regular smear in Feb and was told the results would take longer to come through, one of the reasons I was given was the 'Jade Goody' effect. When the nurse saw the surprised look on my face she said there had been a steep rise in young girls coming along for smears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    I agree, no-one should die that young, or in such a terrible fashion... but the fact remains, if she'd not been such a complete idiot, she'd very likely be alive now, and that's where all this "St. Jade/People's Princess" nonsense grates. In the final analysis, she died of a curable condition because she ignored not only the evidence of four abnormal smear results but several follow up letters, preferring to go on a reality TV show instead with the set intention of a) boosting her bank balance and b) improving her public image (which let us not forget was at a very low ebb back then). She died of stupidity. Hers.

Thank you...exactly what I said and got abused for it....
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I've definitely noticed this. I have to have a smear every year because of having had precancerous cells a few years ago. Last year I had it a month after Jade's death and it took absolutely ages to get the results, this year it only took 3 weeks.
    Forum Member
    couldnt stand her but Im sorry for her kids that she died so young...

I am nothing like JSP and I take huge offence at being compared to her in any way

Well you didn't mention anything about her family and friends and suing the NHS in your post - neither was it related to the thread title.

Again - burying her head in the sand may have led to her death but I still have the utmost sympathy because it wasn't a crime. Yes it's all very good for others to comment on how people deal with things when they've not gone through it themselves but people are in danger of being like JSP - spouting off bile even though they have no idea how hideous and frightening such a thing can be in reality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    True, but if an approach isn't working for a substantial minority of people, perhaps time to try a different approach. If the chlamydia screening advertisements turn out to have worked, maybe something similar could be done for smear tests. A difficult gig I know, since on this occasion 'peeing in a pot' really isn't enough. When you think of it, nothing is more reasonable than a young woman being frightened of a stranger sticking things up her vagina. It is surprising that anyone goes through with it at all. Someone you just don't care as much when you are older, and a smear turns into a useful opportunity to lie down in the daytime.

it isn't the procedure thats scary, for me anyway, its them bloomin finding anything! (yep i did go to my last one :) )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I've definitely noticed this. I have to have a smear every year because of having had precancerous cells a few years ago. Last year I had it a month after Jade's death and it took absolutely ages to get the results, this year it only took 3 weeks.

I guess you *do* hear back whatever the result then. mine nearly gave me a heart attack because they said they wouldn't contact me if everything was normal - then i get a letter from them (!) - it said everything was normal!!!!:eek:
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed with this post, nice round up.
    Forum Member

Such a shame that the entire world over doesn't react the same way as you isn't it. Nice up their in your turret looking down on people?

She's paid the price - as you so sweetly say - because of her stupidity. But she's paid the highest price ever - don't you think in the short months that she had left that this went round and round in her head? Don't you think that it was the most hideous lesson to learn with no ability to change it? That she would be deprived of her children and their children of a mother? don't people act irrationally and make mistakes all the time?

This thread wasn't about her "stupidity" (of which we can comfortably say they've been plenty) but this was about the fall off from the cervical smear tests being made - all those people doing what Jade did - castigate them all and be damned with them would appear to be your stance.

Well I understand that the world is made up of millions of characters and they don't react the way others expect. I don't see the point of continuing the vile vitriol at any opportunity when that is not what the thread was about and the person in question has already paid the highest of prices.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't... quite... see... how stating the simple facts of that happened (which Jade agreed with in 'her' book) is over-reacting: if there was any over-reacting done, it was when she died (or in the case of a certain glossy mag, slightly before she died...) by those who sought to make her some latter-day cult figure and saint.

You say "the most hideous lesson to learn with no ability to change it"... but she had the ability and multiple chances to change, or rather prevent, it, to not deprive her children of their mother, and she passed on every single one. Now, if that's not stupidity, I don't know what is (as an aside, knowing her as they did, why didn't one of her family, management or 'advisors' drag her, kicking and screaming if needs be, to the hospital ?).