Options

When will Top Gear come to an end?

Comments

• Options
    storminmikestorminmike Posts: 46,928
    Forum Member
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    In addition, it is perfectly right that many people are concerned with Top Gear and the disproportionate profile the BBC give it. It's a completely dumb show, aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Idiots do like their Stig bubble bath for Christmas though.

I thnk you'll find that's the soaps IMO
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeham wrote: »
    Here we ago again

"It's all set up and scripted!!!!!"

WE EFFIN GET IT ALREADY

That's shocking news. Next you'll be telling me that Jools Holland's New Year Eve show isn't live :eek:
  • Options
    tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help feeling that a genuine documentary about the making of the Top Gear christmas special would have been a lot more entertaining than the tripe that actually appeared on the screen.

My mind boggles at the size of the support and technical crew they undoubtedly take with them on such a trip.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then what does it matter to you if it goes on forever?

I never ever will understand people who think that because they don't like something, no one else should and that they should therefore stop it for everyone.

There are many programmes that I don't like: Guess what? I don't watch them! I also don't mind if they continue for the people who do like them as it doesn't affect me at all.

So please tell us all what your motivation is as I would be genuinely interested in finding out how the world works for posters like you?

The Clarkson chappie hates Wales is one motive, he's not popular in the vallies lol.

Another motive is that I'll talk about anything I fancy, if you don't like it then tough breast, don't read my posts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a big Top Gear fan for about four and a half years now, but I think it's definitely on it's last legs.

The only way they can get away from the accusations of being samey is by changing the format radically, and the worry is for them I guess that if they change the format too much, ratings will drop away.

They're stuck between a rock and a hard place really. I've read that James is tired of the predictability and silliness of it, and I believe that Jeremy and Richard also feel that way, but they seem to have got themselves into a habit of having to "perform" for their audience, and to produce what the audience expects of them.

I think this is what has led to what I now dislike about the show - that the three presenters have turned into charicatures of themselves. Up until and including series 10, I always felt a genuine friendship between them, and the humour came as a result of that genuine friendship. They're trying too hard now to be funny, they're far too self referential. I always compare it to Due South - the first couple of series were unknowingly quirky, but when they realised it was quirky, they began to try to force it and it didnt work.

Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond are not idiots. They're all very intelligent men. I just think it would be nice if they felt they had the freedom to be themselves again and let the quality come naturally. Maybe then James and Richard wouldnt feel like they had to act their Top Gear personas on the other shows they present.

Sadly, I think it's too late for them to go out on a high. They're on a downhill slide now and I guess its up to Jeremy and Andy Wilman just how far they're prepared to let it fall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    In addition, it is perfectly right that many people are concerned with Top Gear and the disproportionate profile the BBC give it. It's a completely dumb show, aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Idiots do like their Stig bubble bath for Christmas though.

Well, I consider myself to be a normal level headed family guy with a sensible job and responsibilities who enjoys being entertained by programmes that explore the lighter side of life.

And my 8 year old daughter used her own money to buy me a Stig bubble bath for Xmas because she knew I watched TG.

So that me makes me an "Idiot" does it?
    In which case you're a "****".:(
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    The Clarkson chappie hates Wales is one motive, he's not popular in the vallies lol.

He actually likes Wales in real life.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tgabber wrote: »
    My mind boggles at the size of the support and technical crew they undoubtedly take with them on such a trip.
    So, what size technical & support crew do you think they do take? And what size is reasonable in your view for any 75-min programme?
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another that can add themselves to the 'long-time watcher but pretty bored with it nowadays' gang.

The gags have been done over and over again - I'm not really excited by the challenges anymore either :(

I seem to remember Clarkson (or May?) saying something similar not too long ago too.

Perhaps it just needs a break for a year or two.

PS Definately like the suggestion of Sabina from Germany joining the team :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So, what size technical & support crew do you think they do take? And what size is reasonable in your view?

I saw them filming in the City of London a few months back - they were just driving three nice cars around on a Sunday mornin and there were more than a dozen support vehicles including an ambulance, recovery vehicles and Police!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    I saw them filming in the City of London a few months back - they were just driving three nice cars around on a Sunday mornin and there were more than a dozen support vehicles including an ambulance, recovery vehicles and Police!
    And that proves what exactly?

What would be a reasonable size of technical and support crew to make any programme in your view?

I reckon that TV costs time and money to make, regardless as to whether it is three blokes in cars, a documentary, drama or OB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And that proves what exactly?

What would be a reasonable size of technical and support crew to make any programme in your view?

You're having a go at the wrong guy - I'm just sharing what I saw ;)

I can imagine that a lot of people think they just go off on their own with a couple of camera cars - the reality is very different! I was genuinely surprised at how much support there was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    You're having a go at the wrong guy - I'm just sharing what I saw ;)

Sorry, didn't mean it to come across like that. I reckon that TV generally means an extensive technical/support team (unless it's done on a shoestring, which generally shows). And you can only state that something is too much if you have comparatives to hand (and I am guessing that most here do not). If not, then it's just a case of "that's a big number, it must be extravagant"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I don't know what people expect from Top Gear nowadays. Do some want it to go back to a dull, boring car show with about 3m watching? It is fun and entertaining, it provides escapism from the real world for a lot of people. We don't get much to laugh at these days on TV and TG is a rare programme that does make a lot of people laugh.

It is hardly "on its last legs" if 6m plus regularly watch the programme and many more watch the repeats and see it on Iplayer. As long as the programme gets these viewing figures and as long as Jeremy Richard and James enjoy doing it...I have NEVER heard them say they don't!!! ...the programme will go on for a long while yet. Just think of the outrage when Andy and Jeremy do decide to end the programme! What for heavens sake will there be for people to watch? Yet more and more soaps, game shows and reality programmes!!! Perhaps that is what people want! I certainly don't as TG is one programme that I do actually enjoy.

If people want a different TG, why can't they explain what they do want from the programme except for moan moan moan each time it comes on. And how can they do these specials without scripts and planning! If they did so, there would be buckets loads of complaints saying they should have planned it better and why couldn't they do anything funny etc etc. It would be very difficult for them to go out to these countries and just rely on things to happen spontaneously, because most of the time nothing does happen!!!

Andy and the lads are doing a fantastic job and long may it continue!!!
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    digisk wrote: »
    I don't know what people expect from Top Gear nowadays. Do some want it to go back to a dull, boring car show with about 3m watching? It is fun and entertaining, it provides escapism from the real world for a lot of people. We don't get much to laugh at these days on TV and TG is a rare programme that does make a lot of people laugh.

It is hardly "on its last legs" if 6m plus regularly watch the programme and many more watch the repeats and see it on Iplayer. As long as the programme gets these viewing figures and as long as Jeremy Richard and James enjoy doing it...I have NEVER heard them say they don't!!! ...!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a285471/james-may-top-gear-is-a-sitcom-now.html?rss
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

And from that link:
    The 47-year-old went on to insist that there are occasional flashes of technical expertise on the BBC motoring show, but conceded that the programme would be nowhere near as popular if the presenters did not play up to their "characters".

"Ultimately we do know what we're talking about and we do let that be known occasionally," he added. "Very subtly, every now and then, you think, 'Oh, actually, they do love their subject and they do know a bit about it.'"

May concluded: "If I played the real me with my slightly secretive love of really nerdy things and staring at things for too long, that wouldn't make a very good Top Gear because... well, it would make a very late-night Top Gear for people who were interested in taking cars apart."
  • Options
    PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it just needs a rest for a year so, whilst they gather some new material.

Didn't do Dr Who any harm.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top Gear will come to an end when the Daily Mail and the rest of the PC brigade get their way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1342138/Top-Gear-stars-cause-religious-storm-dressing-burkas-Boxing-Day-special.html

Judging from the comments after the article, the only ones upset are the daily mail themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    A rest? 2010's run was only 6 hours long!

The show still does well, ratings are at an all time high, it's been franchised throughout the world and will probably continue for a long time yet in my opinion.

What they've done is gone for that safe middle of the road Sunday night 'family in front of the TV' audience, together with mild innuendo, mild language, crash bang wallop set on fire......... It's turned into something that could have been churned out in the USA.

To me, it's excruciating to watch the scripted jokes, predictability and celebrity guest arse kissing. It did have a good balance of fun, together with some car stuff and seemingly genuine banter. Oh well.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    He actually likes Wales in real life.

Not sure I believe that, none the less the damage is done, he'd best be in a fast car if he visits :eek:

The three of them shooting a stig poster or whatever this week was churlish too.

I think Richard May is the most interesting of the three, certainly the brightest who has done some good shows away from Hammond and the rude chap.
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    Top Gear will come to an end when the Daily Mail and the rest of the PC brigade get their way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1342138/Top-Gear-stars-cause-religious-storm-dressing-burkas-Boxing-Day-special.html

Judging from the comments after the article, the only ones upset are the daily mail themselves.

DM found it SO offensive that they used multiple pictures and linked the video, exposing it to even more people. Good work.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    JG600 wrote: »
    I've been a big Top Gear fan for about four and a half years now, but I think it's definitely on it's last legs.

The only way they can get away from the accusations of being samey is by changing the format radically, and the worry is for them I guess that if they change the format too much, ratings will drop away.

They're stuck between a rock and a hard place really. I've read that James is tired of the predictability and silliness of it, and I believe that Jeremy and Richard also feel that way, but they seem to have got themselves into a habit of having to "perform" for their audience, and to produce what the audience expects of them.

I think this is what has led to what I now dislike about the show - that the three presenters have turned into charicatures of themselves. Up until and including series 10, I always felt a genuine friendship between them, and the humour came as a result of that genuine friendship. They're trying too hard now to be funny, they're far too self referential. I always compare it to Due South - the first couple of series were unknowingly quirky, but when they realised it was quirky, they began to try to force it and it didnt work.

Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond are not idiots. They're all very intelligent men. I just think it would be nice if they felt they had the freedom to be themselves again and let the quality come naturally. Maybe then James and Richard wouldnt feel like they had to act their Top Gear personas on the other shows they present.

Sadly, I think it's too late for them to go out on a high. They're on a downhill slide now and I guess its up to Jeremy and Andy Wilman just how far they're prepared to let it fall.
    digisk wrote: »

It is hardly "on its last legs" if 6m plus regularly watch the programme and many more watch the repeats and see it on Iplayer. As long as the programme gets these viewing figures and as long as Jeremy Richard and James enjoy doing it...I have NEVER heard them say they don't!!! ...the programme will go on for a long while yet. Just think of the outrage when Andy and Jeremy do decide to end the programme! What for heavens sake will there be for people to watch? Yet more and more soaps, game shows and reality programmes!!! Perhaps that is what people want! I certainly don't as TG is one programme that I do actually enjoy.

If people want a different TG, why can't they explain what they do want from the programme except for moan moan moan each time it comes on. And how can they do these specials without scripts and planning! If they did so, there would be buckets loads of complaints saying they should have planned it better and why couldn't they do anything funny etc etc. It would be very difficult for them to go out to these countries and just rely on things to happen spontaneously, because most of the time nothing does happen!!!

Andy and the lads are doing a fantastic job and long may it continue!!!
    Somewhere inbetween the two. It's stil a good show but it has got a bit lazy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member

Another motive is that I'll talk about anything I fancy, if you don't like it then tough breast, don't read my posts.

He likes Pendine Sands
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-I53UmcSA#t=4m23s
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

1. It's Valleys
    2. He 'hates' Wales about as much as he hates any other place in the world.
    3. I'm from Wales, and frankly, I couldn't care less if he didn't like the place.
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people keep repeating 'stale' and 'scripted' as if they were the first to come up with that...'opinion'?

If that is your opinion then fine, but you don't need to tell everyone for the 1000th time.