Options

Could they make a Titanic replica?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Spend all that money, then have to sink it after 5 days?

Not a very good shareholder return.

I'm sure there will be a virtual reality version !

You know, I can actually imagine that.

Celebrity Titanic Voyage. The last Zleb to survive wins a career hosting a late night phone-in quiz show.
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    The last White Star ship the SS Nomadic can be seen at the Titanic Quarter in Belfast, she was the tender ship for the Olympic class ships including Titanic and is currently being restored to original condition as a tourist attraction, probably the nearest thing to the Titanic we will ever see. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ss+nomadic&qpvt=ss+nomadic&FORM=IGRE#
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    You know, I can actually imagine that.

Celebrity Titanic Voyage. The last Zleb to survive wins a career hosting a late night phone-in quiz show.
    how is that any differnt from ITV now?

however the idea of the Titanic for a Fort Boyard type game show, is intersting.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure I saw something the TV about some group who were building Titanic II, to the same (or similar specs) as the original ship...

well bless Wikipedia's lickle heart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replica_Titanic
    It was planned that she would have be a modern cruise ship inside and would be larger than the original Titanic.

From the outset the intention was to build an exact copy

Eh? That article on Wiki needs editing.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    The last White Star ship the SS Nomadic can be seen at the Titanic Quarter in Belfast, she was the tender ship for the Olympic class ships including Titanic and is currently being restored to original condition as a tourist attraction, probably the nearest thing to the Titanic we will ever see. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ss+nomadic&qpvt=ss+nomadic&FORM=IGRE#

Was that the same White Star boat ( ship ? ) that was for many years a floating restaurant moored on the Seine in Paris ?
  • Options
    toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    Was that the same White Star boat ( ship ? ) that was for many years a floating restaurant moored on the Seine in Paris ?

That's the one.....

It looks nothing like the Titanic
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    That's the one.....

It looks nothing like the Titanic

Well it wouldn't, would it. It was only the tender for the Titanic i.e. one of the boats that carried passengers from smaller docks to the ship itself.
  • Options
    UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It need not be 100% original, there's no need for a steam powered engine, riveted platework, too few lifeboats or to dispense with modern maritime communications.

Underneath the Edwardian style superstructure there could be a modern built ship with a state-of-the-art power unit with all mod cons in each cabin.

It could well be a huge money-spinner, I'm surprised no-one has thought of it before.

For me, that would ruin it!
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    You would have to modernize the design for safety and modern engines. But sure, given enough money, just no one has been willing to fund such a project. People have different expectations of accomodation today, so you'd have to make so many changes, I think they even used to have steerage class... so you'd have to strip more and more autheticity away the more you actually modernized it.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be a small ship compared to the liners of today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    From the bottom of the web page...

They have to make it to the destination first.. :eek:

ICEBERG........:D

I'm curious as to where the amusement is in the deaths of 1,517 men, women and children? Strange world.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    A replica did exist in the RMS Olympic which was scrapped in 1935, she was one of three near identical liners which included the Brittanic and the Titanic which was the last of the three ships to be built and the least luxurious...
    The Olympic was the first to be built, then the Titanic followed by Gigantic, later renamed Britannic before completion.

It was Britannic that was the least luxurious, because she was requisitioned by the Royal Navy for use as a hospital ship in WW1. She sank after striking a mine.