Do the ratings prove this forum is out of touch?

Comments

• SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it would be a brave - or stupid - person who claimed that any of the actual shows were an improvement over what we used to get on C4. They've been very poor indeed. This isn't so much a revamp as a massacre.

Ever heard of individual opinions? I'm loving the show, it doesn't make me "stupid".
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's had a good start, but we'll see what happens. I think Celebrity Big Brother could hold up but the regular series is another matter altogether as viewers cannot place a characterture with the Housemate to keep them interested.
  • Toffee GuyToffee Guy Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miz_sam wrote: »
    however the time to really start judgeing the viewing figures is when BB12 starts. because if BB12 flops so does CBB9 and BB13. and if BB13 flops that means BB will definatly not be renewed for any further seasons.

The key thing though is that BB12 starts IMMEDIATELY after CBB finishes, so the momentum will be maintained. That will be a key factor in retaining the audience.

I think if CBB continues to do well, BB12 will do well too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no question that the first three shows have proved extremely successful ratings wise. But it would be a brave - or stupid - person who claimed that any of the actual shows were an improvement over what we used to get on C4. They've been very poor indeed. This isn't so much a revamp as a massacre.

I thought you said if there was no LF you wouldn't watch beyond the launch show ? :p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. The massive number of people protesting all over Facebook and Twitter are mostly non-DS posters (a lot of have asked what DSBB is, many don't seem to look on any BB forums at all or even use FB/Twitter normally).

There is no question that the first three shows have proved extremely successful ratings wise. But it would be a brave - or stupid - person who claimed that any of the actual shows were an improvement over what we used to get on C4. They've been very poor indeed. This isn't so much a revamp as a massacre.

It's obvious that the early shows are going to get a lot of attention. X Factor started last night and there were a lot of people probably having a look at CBB who wouldn't normally. The presence of Jedward is guaranteeing about a million little girls tune in every night.

The real acid test would be a regular series of BB. IMHO, there is just no way it could sustain anywhere near the 2m average that Desmond has apparently said he'd be happy with, any more than BB10 could reach the 3m C4 considered to be the low water mark.

It's true that DSBB posters are often out of touch. We were fanatical over people like Aisleyne, who would have swept to a resounding victory over Perfect Pete and Gln had it been down to us. But on this occasion - no, we're not out of touch. This version of BB is terrible. A 24/7 LF wouldn't make the highlights show any better edited than it is. It wouldn't make Marcus less annoying. It wouldn't make the zelebs any more high profile. But it would at least give us the chance to see what was actually happening and comment on it.

Your post makes no sense and is a prime example of how out of touch the forum actually is. If the show was terrible then noone would be watching it, its that simple. Casual viewers aren't fanatical fans who will watch regardless and don't feel loyalty to the show like some seem to on here.This is the first series I've been hooked on since BB7, the revamp has put some much needed life into a failing show. It isn't going to be universally accepted, as you prove yourself by not being a fan, but clearly other people are enjoying it and not only is it doing well in the ratings, but so far its performing better than the opening days of BB11.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Jazzman wrote: »
    I agree with you wholeheartedly OP.

OK a few hundred keyboard warriors have been spamming the facebook and twitter pages. I don't understand how C5 haters use this as proof that their opinion in the majority, people that like the show aren't gonna go out of their way to write about in on those platforms to the extent of those who wish to complain.

I still believe that BB in this format will die a death.

I'll once again bring up that old chestnut, that THIS is not Big Brother at all.

If it is in any way a ratings success (which I doubt, give it a while) it's because people will watch any old pap so called reality show.

It is definitely not BB, though, and never will be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    i think the new wave of DS bigbrother fourm members need to unite together!! were all on the same page i think the fossels on here are just outa touch!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Toffee Guy wrote: »
    The key thing though is that BB12 starts IMMEDIATELY after CBB finishes, so the momentum will be maintained. That will be a key factor in retaining the audience.

I think if CBB continues to do well, BB12 will do well too.

does bb12 start on the same night as the end of CBB? or do we know yet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RHMassive wrote: »
    i think the new wave of DS bigbrother fourm members need to unite together!! were all on the same page i think the fossels on here are just outa touch!

Thank you very much! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and the few people in the world who use Facebook are out of touch too, which is why so few of them "Like" any of the wonderful things posted there by BB. There again Facebook only has 750 million users - what would they know, the divs!
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no question that the first three shows have proved extremely successful ratings wise. But it would be a brave - or stupid - person who claimed that any of the actual shows were an improvement over what we used to get on C4. They've been very poor indeed.
    And it's because of posts like this that I hope the series does exceptionally well for C5 (which it has done so far). Just because people are enjoying the new style of the HLs does not make them stupid. What a terrible assumption to make.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    Yes, and the few people in the world who use Facebook are out of touch too, which is why so few of them "Like" any of the wonderful things posted there by BB. There again Facebook only has 750 million users - what would they know, the divs!

(I sense sarcasm in your post)

Well... Facebook is notoriously known for being filled with idiots. I was once on Facebook... I was an idiot back then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Thank you very much! :p

lol i hope you dont think i ment old in age! sorry if offence might have been taken i just mean the PROPER old skool fourm members who still after 8 years still have somthing to moan about even tho they will still watch it!
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's obvious that the early shows are going to get a lot of attention. X Factor started last night and there were a lot of people probably having a look at CBB who wouldn't normally. The presence of Jedward is guaranteeing about a million little girls tune in every night.

I must be brave or stupid then, because I don't mind the new highlights format. Just cut down Marcus's cript to the basics and I wouldn't find too much wrong with them. Certainly last night was an improvement on Friday's questionable music when Kerry was going to ask to move beds!

Indeed, if the show had the unmentionable I'd be enjoying it. As it is...I'm putting up with it under protest at the moment. :p
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show feels positive and 'feel good' at the moment. In the last few years on Channel 4, the show became tarnished with negativity but Channel 5 have brought it back and are trying to make it a positive, feel good entertainment show and so far they are succeeding :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its doing well because it has 4 reality TV stars it with the addition of others.

Paddy - 8 million of MBFGW
    Amy - 2 million on TOWIE
    Jedward - 15 million TXF
    Katon - The sunday papers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeaCosy wrote: »

I know plenty of people around my age who wouldn't sit and spam facebook pages all day long. So I don't think these spammers are representative of the targetted audience. It's probably an echo of what we see on this forum.. the live feed moaners (I use loosely) doing the same thing on the FB page.
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Grenade wrote: »
    It puts to bed the argument that live feed is needed for the ratings. Thats now three series out of four where the ratings have been good or OK. BB10 had already collapsed by the same point we're at now but this series has held up exceptionally well. Its slightly up on last year.

I wouldn't make that call until tonight's ratings, Last night as the first time people have seen the new highlights format. Lets see if they come back tonight.
  • crisis3crisis3 Posts: 2,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings prove that Jedward are a huge crowd puller the only comversation I have heard about CBB alll today were about Jedward and always at the extremes, either they are great or cant wait for them to fail. It doesnt bode well for BB12 the Jedward fans will be back at school and the haters will loose interest. Ch5 are going to have to come up with something dramatic to pull in the viewers for the normal show the fact that its autumn should help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't make that call until tonight's ratings, Last night as the first time people have seen the new highlights format. Lets see if they come back tonight.

Well your theory would be flawed too as Saturdays are known to draw in alot less viewers, even more so now alot of the target audience would be out clubbing ect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show feels positive and 'feel good' at the moment. In the last few years on Channel 4, the show became tarnished with negativity but Channel 5 have brought it back and are trying to make it a positive, feel good entertainment show and so far they are succeeding :)

How wonderful! No wonder we don't get a live feed. FIVE just want to make us all happy!

Fantastic (although, as I'm sure you know, reality is seldom that simple)

All cheer for FIVE! The saviour of our happiness!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crisis3 wrote: »
    The ratings prove that Jedward are a huge crowd puller the only comversation I have heard about CBB alll today were about Jedward and always at the extremes, either they are great or cant wait for them to fail. It doesnt bode well for BB12 the Jedward fans will be back at school and the haters will loose interest. Ch5 are going to have to come up with something dramatic to pull in the viewers for the normal show the fact that its autumn should help.

You'd be seriously surprised, I've been watching since I was 8/9 years old :eek: and I'd still watch the HLs at 9pm on school nights, so did many of my friends, we'd often discuss the previous nights BB at school..
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    But the people who are complaining will still be watching it (just about in my case :p ), it's only been a couple of days so the people who are complaining will still be watching waiting for something to happen. They may get bored soon though.

Right now Ch5 seem to be appealing to the half-assed casual fans who like any old trashy rubbish, whereas the real fans of BB are the ones who are loyal and expect it to be at its highest standard.
    Giving negative critique just shows you care. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RHMassive wrote: »

Haha. :D I'm one of the fossils but I realise the show has to
    change to survive. If I hate it's new direction (which seems likely) then I'll just stop watching and stop posting - there'll be no frothing and seething drama queen flouncing from me, it's just a crappy TV show after all. :D
  • MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself, Dan.

Call me when it averages 3.7m, like the last series of CBB.

It's doing okay now, but it's all downhill from here...