Graphic content on UK tv?

RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
Forum Member
✭✭
Is there a law in the UK that prevents the showing of graphic images of death on TV, even if it is for a news program?

I was wondering why the UK doesn't air such footage that is readily aired in some Arab countries for example.

I was just curious.

Comments

• jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubusRoo wrote: »
    Is there a law in the UK that prevents the showing of graphic images of death on TV, even if it is for a news program?

I was wondering why the UK doesn't air such footage that is readily aired in some Arab countries for example.

I was just curious.
    I don't think there's a law, more that they know the line where is they might put viewers off and/or prompt a deluge of complaints. The tolerance for seeing dead bodies is probably higher in the Mid East where government/law enforcement is more violent, there have been more frequent wars, are public executions etc.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've shown the charred bodies of civilians in Libya, with a warning beforehand. I'd say that was graphic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    They've shown the charred bodies of civilians in Libya, with a warning beforehand. I'd say that was graphic.
    They were pretty much completely burnt though, they still avoid showing dismembered or rotting bodies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because we live in a country where people complain about the smallest thing on tv
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    They were pretty much completely burnt though, they still avoid showing dismembered or rotting bodies.
    Why would you want to see that anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »

Why should the news be sanitized?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Becuase it's unnecessary & potentially traumatizing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it not be beneficial, in some cases, for people to see the consequences of what is normally illegal actions?

For instance, young kid thinks carry a knife around would be cool because his friends do it and doesnt think or see what would happen if he used it. for him to then watch the news, see a stab victim and what might become of him, do you not think it would make him think again about carrying that knife?
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes graphic stuff should be shown, same way sky news have done it, give plenty warning
    if people do not want to see it there is an off switch on their tv plus they could also change channels

we should all be given the chance to see things, if you dont want it then switch off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    I never said I did, I was just stating there is a line of taste to avoid complaints, also grounds of privacy where bodies might still be identifiable.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeejayAJ wrote: »
    Becuase it's unnecessary & potentially traumatizing.

But its life.

People behave representatively to one one another. Nature can unleash terrific and biblical onslaughts. Human expression, arts, literature, popular culture, journalism and even television need to respond to all of this. If they don't then there is very little point....... sorry,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    But its life.

People behave representatively to one one another. Nature can unleash terrific and biblical onslaughts. Human expression, arts, literature, popular culture, journalism and even television need to respond to all of this. If they don't then there is very little point....... sorry,
    As said above there are privacy issues, respect for victims families to take into account.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miost certainly they do not show dead bodies of white people, but for other races they often show them dead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Miost certainly they do not show dead bodies of white people, but for other races they often show them dead.
    I can't recall bodies being shown with faces exposed, unless it is a funeral.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob.cryer wrote: »
    Why should the news be sanitized?

So if a British soldier had his head shot open in Afghanistan and died from his injuries, would you want them to show that?
  • mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people don't want to see it. And things people don't want to see do not sit well next to adverts on commercial news -C4, ITV, Sky etc.
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They 'often' show footage of Nazi experiments / murder / concentration camps on tv on the documentry channels. I've seen images of a male with the top of his head removed to record the brain and it's reaction to the extreme cold while still alive during the day time. They have also screened footage of Jews being massacred and thrown into a open grave as part of a programme. Very shocking but 'justified' And as has been posted they have recently screened images of burned bodies in Lybia.

Both are very graphic but still should still be seen in context 24 hours a day.