Options

Lyme Disease: The Latest Scare Story.

Comments

• Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The husband of a friend of mine contracted Lyme disease in his late 20's, went from being a fit active man to a near cripple in a matter of months. His GP thought it was ME at first and treated accordingly by not doing very much. He was unable to work at all for a number of years, He now works part time 3 hours, 3 days a week.His wife works fulltime to keep them afloat. Really it has ruined their life.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The news item that prompted my concern said they can be in gardens as well as the countryside.

Birds carry them, I also have foxes and badgers in the garden.

Well, as I said (and the question that you seem to mysteriously be avoiding) is that not actually going outdoors eliminates the risk entirely. Is your agoraphobia now better?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, as I said (and the question that you seem to mysteriously be avoiding) is that not actually going outdoors eliminates the risk entirely. Is your agoraphobia now better?

You seemed to have ignored the bit about my garden.

Which I don't go into often, especially at the moment as I have fox cubs running around.

But I go out in it enough to risk getting bitten by ticks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You seemed to have ignored the bit about my garden.

Which I don't go into often, especially at the moment as I have fox cubs running around.

But I go out in it enough to risk getting bitten by ticks.

So, is your agoraphobia better, then?

Oh, and why do you have to get the taxpayer to cut your grass? Most of us do it ourselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, is your agoraphobia better, then?

Oh, and why do you have to get the taxpayer to cut your grass? Most of us do it ourselves.

How is going out into my back garden, occasionally, a sign that my agoraphobia is better?

If you are on DLA my council have a scheme where they will cut your grass 4 times a year.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you understand what agoraphobia means?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is going out into my back garden, occasionally, a sign that my agoraphobia is better?

If you are on DLA my council have a scheme where they will cut your grass 4 times a year.

No sign at all I would say! Sorry to read you are agoraphobic.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Mmm, well, call me a bluff old traditionalist but I thought that agoraphobia was an (irrational) fear of open spaces. Fan as you are of posting online dictionary definitions, I'm sure you'll find one that suits your agenda.

Sorry, I had no idea that your 'agoraphobia' allowed you to go into your own garden. Is there another 'phobia' that then kicks in that prevents you actually cutting your own grass? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mmm, well, call me a bluff old traditionalist but I thought that agoraphobia was an (irrational) fear of open spaces. Fan as you are of posting online dictionary definitions, I'm sure you'll find one that suits your agenda.

Sorry, I had no idea that your 'agoraphobia' allowed you to go into your own garden. Is there another 'phobia' that then kicks in that prevents you actually cutting your own grass? :confused:

Actually there is a definition that fits me perfectly.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/agoraphobia
    Translated from Greek as "fear of the marketplace," agoraphobia involves intense fear and anxiety of any place or situation where escape might be difficult.

My hypersensitivity to noise makes cutting grass difficult with noisy machinery. Also my physical health is poor due to my type 2 diabetes.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought deer were the main culprits for the spread of the disease. The more abundant the deer the greater number of ticks. I know someone who has been completely debilitated by the disease and a lovely wee dog that died from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I thought deer were the main culprits for the spread of the disease. The more abundant the deer the greater number of ticks. I know someone who has been completely debilitated by the disease and a lovely wee dog that died from it.
    I think it is just something to be aware of.

As some people have pointed out, the trouble is that its symptoms are similar to other illnesses such as M.E. or Fibromyalgia.

I'm mainly worried because I had a bite mark on my right calf and now I have a pain in my right thigh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is just something to be aware of.

As some people have pointed out, the trouble is that its symptoms are similar to other illnesses such as M.E. or Fibromyalgia.

I'm mainly worried because I had a bite mark on my right calf and now I have a pain in my right thigh.

Are you able to go to your Doctor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Are you able to go to your Doctor?

Yes by Taxi. Trouble is he is another of those GPs that don't like patients going to them with an idea of what they may have.

That's why I took the photo because I was going to show him what it was like when it first happened, but I haven't been able to see him since September, as I wasn't in pain then. Although I did see a chemist and they had no idea what it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes by Taxi. Trouble is he is another of those GPs that don't like patients going to them with an idea of what they may have.

That's why I took the photo because I was going to show him what it was like when it first happened, but I haven't been able to see him since September, as I wasn't in pain then. Although I did see a chemist and they had no idea what it was.

I think you need to see him, whatever his views are, who cares?. He's paid to look after your health and he needs to remember that. Don't be brow beaten by bloody god almighty Doctors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I think you need to see him, whatever his views are, who cares?. He's paid to look after your health and he needs to remember that. Don't be brow beaten by bloody god almighty Doctors.

I'm just better with 'yes or no' type problems, rather than 'maybe' types.

Lyme disease can be proved but not necessarily disproved as it can remain undetected when dormant.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My hypersensitivity to noise makes cutting grass difficult with noisy machinery. Also my physical health is poor due to my type 2 diabetes.

Have you given up the Coke yet, koan?
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The photo looks very similar to a cleg bite I had.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Have you given up the Coke yet, koan?

Not yet. I'm trying to drink sparkling water and squash as an alternative but have the occasional bottle of coke.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not yet. I'm trying to drink sparkling water and squash as an alternative but have the occasional bottle of coke.

Well, that's progress. Keep it up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just better with 'yes or no' type problems, rather than 'maybe' types.

Lyme disease can be proved but not necessarily disproved as it can remain undetected when dormant.

I have nothing else to suggest then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    The photo looks very similar to a cleg bite I had.

Yes the bites do look very similar. That's part of the problem though, that a lot of insect bites can look like other insect bites.

All the pictures on the net of different insect bites, look different to each other even from the same insect half the time.
  • Options
    snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is she now? Did she know she had been bitten by a tick?
    Hi , she still suffers with arthritis type pains , it caused her to miscarry and was ill for months with blinding headaches etc . She did`nt know she`d been bitten at first , then the bullseye mark showed up .
    Her and hubby had been camping .
    Happily she`s just had her first baby :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    snoopy33 wrote: »
    Hi , she still suffers with arthritis type pains , it caused her to miscarry and was ill for months with blinding headaches etc . She did`nt know she`d been bitten at first , then the bullseye mark showed up .
    Her and hubby had been camping .
    Happily she`s just had her first baby :D

That's good news. It does show how serious it can be though.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmm, well, call me a bluff old traditionalist but I thought that agoraphobia was an (irrational) fear of open spaces.

That's a common misconception. It's actually a fear of public places (agora is Greek for marketplace), not open spaces.

It's a form of anxiety disorder, and makes life very difficult for sufferers.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Blood tests can be used to detect antibodies related to the initial Lyme infection, even if the bacteria are now dormant. Not foolproof as for various complicated reasons, tests can give false negatives in some cases (indicate no infection, when in fact there has been).