Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still don't see the need for a marquee striker. I think Sturridge is better up there on his own and we look tighter with an extra body in midfield. We just need a decent enough stop-gap for when Sturridge needs a rest or is out suspended or injured. Therefore, Bony will be fine.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    I still don't see the need for a marquee striker. I think Sturridge is better up there on his own and we look tighter with an extra body in midfield. We just need a decent enough stop-gap for when Sturridge needs a rest or is out suspended or injured. Therefore, Bony will be fine.

If Sturridge was to get injured then I wouldn't be against seeing Sterling go up top filling Sturridges role with Ibe going out on the wing tbh
  • SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    I'd love a big name signing, but some fans do seem overly obsessed with getting one. If they had their way we probably would have ended up with Sneijder over Coutinho

The Eto'o link sounds like agent talk to me

Right time for Kelly to move on. Now behind Johnson, Manquillo and Flanagan and at 24 he needs game time

Toure seems to be on his way out too with Ilori also leaving to join Bordeaux on loan. We'll then probably see one of Agger/Coates leave. Assaidi (remember him?) and Borini too.. Lucas possibly with links to Napoli

Expecting 2-3 signings after Moreno is complete. A goalkeeper, a striker and possibly another attacking player
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »

Also even not signing a big name, the manager needs to make sure whoever he is interested in can work well with Sturridge if needed.

Not just about signing a striker. Lots of variables to weigh up.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not bothered about a big name, but I would feel more comfortable if we signed another striker..or at least keep Borini.
    Forum Member
    Moreno confirmed by the club
    I'm not bothered about a big name, but I would feel more comfortable if we signed another striker..or at least keep Borini.
    I'd be very surprised if we didn't sign a striker especially considering Sturridge' injury record. Even if it does mean going for Bony late in the window

Borini I think will be moved on eventually. £14m is a lot of money for someone that'll probably be 3rd choice at best for us
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I am not keen on the obsession with some of wanting a 'top name' striker - that is not LFC type thinking. It is the type of thinking shown by some other clubs - esp tbh CFC when they rate people like Torres and Eto'o above Sturridge and Lukaku - no offence to Richmond and other CFC supporting DS posters. Remember we are LFC not CFC and yes at times we may sign big names but they have to be the right big names and frankly the likes of Eto'o and Ballotellki who was also recently linked are not the right big names.

I have seen some LFC fans on DS and elsewhere comparing Ricky and Borini very unfavourably with Eto'o. Last season RL scored more in a worse team than Eto'o and Borini prob did as well as Eto'o altho he did score 2 less (7 to 9 - I have checked, btw RL scored 13 altho yes I know that included penalties) bearing in mind who he was playing for and his ratio of games to goals - esp later in the season when he found his feet, played more, was given a key role and got more confidence for Sunderland.

I am not saying another striker is not desirable - it is - and Remy not happening was disappointing altho I do think there is something of the mercenary about him so maybe we will get someone even more suitable in. I think we just have to trust BR - he knows the type of player suitable for LFC and I think all 8 choices this summer seem good altho I will reserve judgement until at least Christmas before hailing any of them as LFC heroes or whatever!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »
    If Sturridge was to get injured then I wouldn't be against seeing Sterling go up top filling Sturridges role with Ibe going out on the wing tbh

Thats a good shout that is, the way we rotate positions throughout the game anyway shows that Sterling is more than capable, he seems to play as much upfront and in behind as he does out wide.

Havent really heard of or seen that Moreno, I don't follow as much Spanish football but judging by the response of alot of people Im excited to see him play. He's a complete unknown for me. Atleast he has some big games in Europe under his belt.

As for Martin Kelly, I've got nothing against the lad, its good to have a local lad in the side too, but I just don't think he is good enough, injuries have messed him up but in my opinion, he isnt upto standard.
    I wish him well at Palace and hope he settles in down London, I reckon the price was a fair deal too,
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »

Forgot to also add Marckovic and Suso as other wing options whilst Sterlings up top
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Its a shame the way the pre season has panned out as to me the signings I most wanted to see are Lalallna and Markovic and both have had knocks so hardly played.

In an ideal world I think my front 6 would be

Gerrard Hendo

Sterling Coutinho Lallana

Sturridge

so while Lallana is not fit we need to tinker with that - Markovic is the obvious choice but he is unfit too so maybe yeah maybe Ibe or even Suso as the other 'front 6' options are Cam, Allen and Lucas who are not attacking minded enough and are the back up to SG and Hendo.

Now we do have lots of options tho don't we 6 CBs for 2 places, 6 FBs for 2 places and these forward options with Ricky and Borini as alternatives to Sturridge so more or less 3 options all round the pitch.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kolo Toure has turned down a move to Turkish side Trabzonspor after Rodgers convinced him to stay. [Radio City]

Toure’s influence in the dressing room is very underplayed.

Clearly a very good character for the squad to have.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim Vickery on Talksport right now hopefully he'll be asked about this mystery man
  • OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »

Always reckoned Kolo was one to hang onto, he's like a mix between an agony aunt and a mother hen - runs (well, strolls really) around looking after all the players. Tea and sympathy in abundance on a loss, bear hugs and cheerleader on wins! Worth his weight in gold, we have to keep him, just be spare on playing him! :D I love the guy! :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Tim Vickery on Talksport right now hopefully he'll be asked about this mystery man

Cavani?

Le'quipe this afternoon is reporting we have bid £39 mil for Cavani.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That class striker is all we need now to partner Sturridge and we look good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @BenSmithBBC: #LFC still looking for a striker. Have enquired about Benzema, Falcao and Cavani. But have been told 'no chance'

@BenSmithBBC: Samuel Eto'o is being considered by Liverpool but is one of a handful of moments. LFC have not met his camp
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Sunderland seem increasingly confident that they've convinced Borini to go there. Rumours are that he'll undergo a medical in the next few days. Should that happen we'll have made just over £90m from sales and spent just over £100m so far (assuming Moreno deal is all good). Busy window!

Still plenty of time for us to pick up a striker so I'm not worried. I have some concerns over Bony but I'm certain he'd get goals and I could see us going back there once we've exhausted all our other options.
  • edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool have opened talks with Italian club Sampdoria over a deal to sign Argentina World Cup goalkeeper Sergio Romero.

The Reds are desperate to sign a quality glovesman this summer to offer competition for Simon Mignolet, and have turned to Romero after failing to sign David Marshall and Karl Darlow.

Reports in Italy, backed up by Sky Italia journalist Tancredi Palmeri, say Liverpool approached Sampdoria last night over a deal.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tancredi Palmeri could tell me it was raining and I'd not believe him! :D
  • mattlewis86mattlewis86 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thinking I know people say we need one world class striker but if we lose Borini to Sunderland do you think we would need to replace him as well? Or would having Sturridge, Lambert and one more striker be enough?
    Forum Member
    Just thinking I know people say we need one world class striker but if we lose Borini to Sunderland do you think we would need to replace him as well? Or would having Sturridge, Lambert and one more striker be enough?

3 would probably be enough considering it seems like Rodgers will go 1 up top this season rather than 2 like last season
  • edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports in Britain today speculate that Liverpool are preparing a €25m bid for Fiorentina forward Giuseppe Rossi.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/football-italia-reds-plan-rossi-raid
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    edduk1981 wrote: »
    Reports in Britain today speculate that Liverpool are preparing a €25m bid for Fiorentina forward Giuseppe Rossi.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/football-italia-reds-plan-rossi-raid

Personally think the media just throwing up any name.

Rossi is a good player though, he does score goals.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,952
    Forum Member
    Rossi was a very good player pre-injury back in his Villareal days. He's got a decent goalscorers instinct, but £20m for a guy with a suspect knee is an awful lot of money to risk. I'm not really sure the PL is the best environment for him anyway.
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »

I've been told on here no place for sentiment and that was for legends so not sure we can sway from that viewpoint for Toure.

I see Suarez ban upheld but he can train.

Nice to see Alan posting too :)
This discussion has been closed.