Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malbren wrote: »
    I've been told on here no place for sentiment and that was for legends so not sure we can sway from that viewpoint for Toure.

I see Suarez ban upheld but he can train.

Nice to see Alan posting too :)

No sentiment required. His influence in the dressing room and he can still be relied upon to perform on the pitch which means its worth keeping him.
  • edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool have got the green light to sign Ezequiel Lavezzi after he turned down a new contract at Paris Saint Germain - and was told to leave.
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    No sentiment required. His influence in the dressing room and he can still be relied upon to perform on the pitch which means its worth keeping him.

His influence in the dressing room should realistically be irrelevant. I'm sure him not being in the dressing room will not harm and he will have practically no time on the pitch in games that matter. We don't need six cb's. Teams want Toure & Borini therefore as they aren't regulars BR should look to tell them they r surplus to requirements
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    His influence in the dressing room should realistically be irrelevant. I'm sure him not being in the dressing room will not harm and he will have practically no time on the pitch in games that matter. We don't need six cb's. Teams want Toure & Borini therefore as they aren't regulars BR should look to tell them they r surplus to requirements

His influence and performance on the pitch is important though as BR went out of his way to convince kolo to stay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    His influence and performance on the pitch is important though as BR went out of his way to convince kolo to stay.

What is this influence & performance you talk of? Seriously when did he last play a role for us? Please don't say pre-season.

Nothing against him I just can't see the benefit of him staying when we could get 1.5M for him.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    What is this influence & performance you talk of? Seriously when did he last play a role for us? Please don't say pre-season.

Nothing against him I just can't see the benefit of him staying when we could get 1.5M for him.

Your missing the point. BR obviously feels kolo has a good influence in the dressing room as he told him stay.

BR likes kolo or he would have sold him.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if he wants Toure to stay for his CL experience. I can't see any reason otherwise. He didn't have the best season for us last time and I don't care what his influence is like, you don't pay someone £millions to be a good influence in the dressing room. I trust BR so assume there are good reason for Toure staying but I will be surprised if we see him play more than half a dozen games this season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Your missing the point. BR obviously feels kolo has a good influence in the dressing room as he told him stay.

BR likes kolo or he would have sold him.

I'm really not. Whilst I do see what is being said I believe it to be wrong. You do not keep a rarely used player because his face fits with the manager & he thinks he's good for the dressing room. Not when we have 4 top centre backs before him. Sell now we get 1.5m, keep an unused player let go for free next season. Can't see the sense in it personally.

Maybe he'll play a starring role & prove me wrong, some how I doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    I wonder if he wants Toure to stay for his CL experience. I can't see any reason otherwise. He didn't have the best season for us last time and I don't care what his influence is like, you don't pay someone £millions to be a good influence in the dressing room. I trust BR so assume there are good reason for Toure staying but I will be surprised if we see him play more than half a dozen games this season.

Exactly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly.

He had a decent season. I thought he started really well. A couple of errors were blown way out of proportion.
    Sell now we get 1.5m, keep an unused player let go for free next season. Can't see the sense in it personally.

£1.5 mil is pocket change. I guess the manager weighs up the £1.5 mil vs. the qualities the player brings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    He had a decent season. I thought he started really well. A couple of errors were blown way out of proportion.

£1.5 mil is pocket change. I guess the manager weighs up the £1.5 mil vs. the qualities the player brings.

Going round in circles here but what qualities? What quality have we witnessed from Kolo this past six months? Please don't say Brendan must see them. If we r not seeing them on the pitch then hire him as background staff for the appropriate salary.
  • SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    It makes sense to keep Kolo for another season. Good to have experience around a young squad. Plus it allows Coates and Agger to be sold and Ilori to go on loan for a season before coming back as 4th choice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Dead excited now for the game on Sunday, its good to be back.
    For all the hype that was banded about when we got given Southampton as our 1st game and people laughing coz we signed a few of their players. Do you think any will start on Sunday?
    Lallana is injured,
    I expect Sturridge over Lambert
    Is Lovren fully fit to be starting? ( I reckon he will get the nod but you never know)

If anybody plays the fantasy league, which Liverpool players have you got in your squad? I've got Sterling, Flanagan in my team and Ibe as a sub.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darreldo wrote: »
    For all the hype that was banded about when we got given Southampton as our 1st game and people laughing coz we signed a few of their players. Do you think any will start on Sunday?
    Lallana is injured,
    Is Lovren fully fit to be starting? ( I reckon he will get the nod but you never know)

If anybody plays the fantasy league, which Liverpool players have you got in your squad? I've got Sterling, Flanagan in my team and Ibe as a sub.

Gerrard Sterling and Sturridge, Gerrard was second best mid and made the team of the season it's his assists and pens he racks up points, as did Sturridge I'm hoping for a repeat :)
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's seems like where ever you look there another different story linking us to players.

This form the Express saying we're in for Lavezzi & Romero but not Rossi.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/499436/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Lavezzi-and-Romero-deals-in-the-works-but-no-move-for-Rossi?fb_action_ids=10152706396720087&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like

I tend to assume that if it's in the papers it's pure speculation at best and ignore it.
  • Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching last season's best premiership games on Sky this morning and they were showing Sunderland v Liverpool - I'm gonna miss Suarez not playing for us next season.
    I know we're in good hands with Rodgers and co but I believe if we still had him we could have won the premier league this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    It's seems like where ever you look there another different story linking us to players.

This form the Express saying we're in for Lavezzi & Romero but not Rossi.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/499436/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Lavezzi-and-Romero-deals-in-the-works-but-no-move-for-Rossi?fb_action_ids=10152706396720087&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like

I tend to assume that if it's in the papers it's pure speculation at best and ignore it.

Seems reports from Spain linking with Song as well.

Lucas out Song in?
  • OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,483
    Forum Member
    Lallana is injured,

I have Sturridge, Sterling and Lovren atm, but I am pondering a change. In my Ultimate Fantasy League I have Henderson to make up the 4 I'm allowed. I just think that Sterling/Coutinho could be making a lot more assists/goals than Stevie G did last season - I still have 24 hours to sort this to my satisfaction! (Oh, and Lovren I am keeping, it's the other combos I will work on).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Orchideam wrote: »
    I have Sturridge, Sterling and Lovren atm, but I am pondering a change. In my Ultimate Fantasy League I have Henderson to make up the 4 I'm allowed. I just think that Sterling/Coutinho could be making a lot more assists/goals than Stevie G did last season - I still have 24 hours to sort this to my satisfaction! (Oh, and Lovren I am keeping, it's the other combos I will work on).

Im worse than Ranieri for being a tinkerman, ive changed my squad 6 times so far this morning and im going to leave it alone before I do anymore damage. Ive settled for Henderson, Coutinho and Sterling. You make a good point about Sterling and Coutinho combining up more than Gerrard, plus all them 3 lads should get 60mins a game and earn points.

Im looking forward to Rodgers press conference at dinnertime, its all building up now,
    It should be good listening to all the managers and seeing if anybody has a sly dig or tries using abit of mind games.
    I reckon Rodgers might be pushed on answering questions on a new striker so we might learn a tiny bit today hopefully
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sterling, Henderson and Lovren. I did want Coutinho in there, but I had doubts over how much game time he'd get now that we have Lallana and Markovic in the squad, as well as Ibe pressing for some time on the pitch.

I fancy Sturridge to score a lot of goals this season, shame you can only pick 3.
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Sterling, Henderson and Lovren. I did want Coutinho in there, but I had doubts over how much game time he'd get now that we have Lallana and Markovic in the squad, as well as Ibe pressing for some time on the pitch.

I fancy Sturridge to score a lot of goals this season, shame you can only pick 3.

Get yourself into the Ultimate, £5 for the season, AND you can have 4 Liverpool players in your squad - sorted! :D
  • LONERIDER37LONERIDER37 Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Draca_Noir wrote: »
    Watching last season's best premiership games on Sky this morning and they were showing Sunderland v Liverpool - I'm gonna miss Suarez not playing for us next season.
    I know we're in good hands with Rodgers and co but I believe if we still had him we could have won the premier league this year.

Me too, going to miss his brilliant footballing skills.

Well we finished 2nd with him last season so with our extra additions no doubt if we still had him too we would be right up there again.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The key, like last season, is how we do against the other top seven sides. I think we're beating the other sides as frequently as our rivals. If we can do a little better away from Anfield, we'll be right up there again. Last season, our away form improved as the season went on, with Brendan being more creative and flexible with his tactics.

As for Fantasy Football... I'm keeping quiet on that one :D
    Forum Member
    I see Rodgers has made it clear he still has one or two more 'bits of business' to do in the transfer window, "We have the money, it's there ready" - so I would say it will be a striker and a goalkeeper he's after getting. We currently have 4 out on injury, but at least one will be back in training before the City match next week.

He is bemused but pleased we are being touted as 5th-7th for the league, he is confident we are way better than that, Suarez leaving makes no difference, we can still score those goals.

Was pleased to see how upbeat he was, happy and relaxed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orchideam wrote: »
    I see Rodgers has made it clear he still has one or two more 'bits of business' to do in the transfer window, "We have the money, it's there ready" - so I would say it will be a striker and a goalkeeper he's after getting. We currently have 4 out on injury, but at least one will be back in training before the City match next week.

He is bemused but pleased we are being touted as 5th-7th for the league, he is confident we are way better than that, Suarez leaving makes no difference, we can still score those goals.

Was pleased to see how upbeat he was, happy and relaxed.

Very relaxed and I think in a way he is pleased he can now set the side up the way he really wants rather than having to accommodate Suarez and Sturridge ( which wasnt a bad thing).

Not quite sure why some analysts think we will struggle for goals. Sturridge will score loads alone.
This discussion has been closed.