Options

Dean's Comeuppance

tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So we already know that Dean will suffer some consequences for raping Linda, but I really hope that Shirley suffers too, every time that she does wrong, she seems to get away scot free.

Comments

• Options
    NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We known this? How? Where please? I am so happy to hear this. He is so nasty! Hope Shirley gets a foot up the arse too! Vile woman.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Shirley's disgusting, I hope she's kicked into the gutter when the truth comes out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noush wrote: »
    We known this? How? Where please? I am so happy to hear this. He is so nasty! Hope Shirley gets a foot up the arse too! Vile woman.

Justice for Linda
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Shirley's acting no different from Mick in this storyline. Both are defending their loved ones to the death despite there being no actual evidence.

Unlike us viewers who actually know what happened, neither character has been presented with a reason to not trust the story they've been given. Shirley's not purposely doing wrong; it's natural to take the side of someone you care about over someone you don't.

If Linda's story was proven and Shirley continued to believe Dean, then there'd be a good reason for comeuppance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadiochao wrote: »
    Shirley's acting no different from Mick in this storyline. Both are defending their loved ones to the death despite there being no actual evidence.

Unlike us viewers who actually know what happened, neither character has been presented with a reason to not trust the story they've been given. Shirley's not purposely doing wrong; it's natural to take the side of someone you care about over someone you don't.

If Linda's story was proven and Shirley continued to believe Dean, then there'd be a good reason for comeuppance.

Well surely Mick has more reason to believe Linda, he has been with her since they were teens, so when Linda told him, he must have had a moment of clarity as to why Linda had been the way she had since she was raped. Whereas Shirley is accepting one sons word over anothers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tq21 wrote: »
    Well surely Mick has more reason to believe Linda, he has been with her since they were teens, so when Linda told him, he must have had a moment of clarity as to why Linda had been the way she had since she was raped. Whereas Shirley is accepting one sons word over anothers.

It doesn't matter who said what or why; both of them are simply going on word alone. They're in the exact same position and think the other has been tricked, not that they're telling lies. It's not a matter of Shirley choosing one son's story over another because it's not Mick's story.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter who said what or why; both of them are simply going on word alone. They're in the exact same position and think the other has been tricked, not that they're telling lies. It's not a matter of Shirley choosing one son's story over another because it's not Mick's story.

Shirley is being vile about it , keeps trying to go into the pub and forcing Dean along for the ride . It is ok to believe in Dean as it is her son but she is making everything worse with the way she is behaving as she is adding fuel to the fire .
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noush wrote: »

DTC has said he gets a shocking comeuppance. People don't seem to believe it though.

Mick obviously does something to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you never felt that there is something wrong with someone & you ask them & they say no I'm fine, then later realise what it was you were picking up on? What I'm saying is that Mick at this stage should Linda inside & out, her behaviour did change (obviously) after the rape, & he must have picked up on something being wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tq21 wrote: »
    Have you never felt that there is something wrong with someone & you ask them & they say no I'm fine, then later realise what it was you were picking up on? What I'm saying is that Mick at this stage should Linda inside & out, her behaviour did change (obviously) after the rape, & he must have picked up on something being wrong.

Everyone picked up on it, the difference is that Dean and Shirley believe the reason for it was that Linda felt guilty about having cheated on Mick. The only reason Mick believes differently is because Linda told him otherwise.

No matter the reasoning or how close they are to the actual truth, nobody besides Dean and Linda can say for sure what actually happened that night, as there weren't any witnesses or evidence.

Shirley may be going about it in an objectionable manner, but in her eyes Linda is the villain and she wants expose that to everybody for her sons' sakes. In a way this is probably one of the most selfless things she's done for a while.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shirley hasn't really done anything wrong. She is sticking up for her Son, which is exactly what Linda would do, if Johnny or Lee were accused! Shirley being called vile because of this is a bit silly.

Fair enough, people being a bit off with Shirley, but why should Shirley get a big comeuppance for siding with her Son?:/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly. Just the Anti-Shirley brigade at it again!

I actually find her a very watchable character!
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Shirley hasn't really done anything wrong. She is just sticking up for his son, which is exactly what Linda would do, if Johnny or Lee were accused! Shirley being called vile because of this is a bit silly.

I think a lot of people think she's vile because she is blindly choosing to believe Dean. His side of the story was very telling. He admitted that Linda rejected and slapped him during previous advances, but in his words "she loved it". She's ignoring obvious signs that something is wrong all because she doesn't want to accept that he's a rapist.

Plus she's choosing to believe that rather than keep shut about the whole thing, Linda spoke out to save her marriage. It makes no sense. Dean has never stated that he threatened to tell Mick, so how does it make sense that she lying to save her own skin, when she voluntarily didn't keep quiet?
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Maybe he gets castrated?
  • Options
    jboy2k8jboy2k8 Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe the justice is linked to Shabnam. That's if he did rape her.
  • Options
    momentarythingmomentarything Posts: 20,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley hasn't really done anything wrong. She is sticking up for her Son, which is exactly what Linda would do, if Johnny or Lee were accused! Shirley being called vile because of this is a bit silly.

Fair enough, people being a bit off with Shirley, but why should Shirley get a big comeuppance for siding with her Son?:/

Absolutely. It's totally believable imo. It's not pleasant to watch, but Shirley's motivations are completely understandable. Who would want to believe their son, particularly one with whom they've only just reconciled, is a rapist?

That said, I'm going to find it incredibly hard to believe when Shirley is inevitably interacting normally with Mick and Linda again after Dean is gone. They're not going to have Shirley not interact with Mick and Linda, as it's a goldmine of drama right now, but I'm not sure how they're believably going to reconcile them- how do you forgive the person who believed your wife could lie about being raped? I'm sure Shirley will realise at some point, but, irl, it'd be too little, too late. I'm not sure how they can rebuild it.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The fact that Matt may be staying in the role (re: last Sunday's The Star article) makes it even more complicated with it being said that Linda will get justice - how?!
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My issue with Shirley in this storyline has nothing to do with her standing by Dean, it's her vicious attacks on Linda, it's her behaviour to the Carter children (including blackmailing them), it's like tonight when she taunts Mick even knowing he's upset, it's, like Tina said, Shirley making it all about her - not Dean.

That's before I even get into the fact that she knows he's lying and is lying to convince herself otherwise or the 'cuckoo in the nest' and the 'she's not even blood' comments which makes it appear that she has been harbouring some sort of deep rooted, long lasting grudge against Linda and is using this as an excuse.

Linda said it tonight - she wouldn't want to believe her kids were rapists either, but there is a difference between that and behaving the way Shirley has over it.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Dean's comeuppance can't come soon enough. Smug, arrogant git.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dean's comeuppance can't come soon enough. Smug, arrogant git.

Exactly this
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shirley's treatment of her son's wife and the mother of her grandkids is disgraceful.

I can't believe Mick is actually still having conversations with her and went back for the birthday card. He should buy her out and officially ban her from the pub...then let her or Dean anywhere near his wife.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dean is the rapist here, but lemme save up all my hatred and vitriol for a woman who has no way of knowing what the truth is and is simply trying to stand by her son.

Logic.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dean cracks mentally and commits hari-kari by climbing up onto the railway line behind the pub
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shirley's treatment of her son's wife and the mother of her grandkids is disgraceful.

I can't believe Mick is actually still having conversations with her and went back for the birthday card. He should buy her out and officially ban her from the pub...then let her or Dean anywhere near his wife.

Again. She isn't treating them in a bad way. She is trying to be civil with Mick, Nancy etc... But obviously that can't happen, because Shirley believes Dean, so both Shirley and Mick and co are giving it out on both sides. Mick and Shirley weren't there on the night of the rape, they are obviously going to believe Linda and Dean respectively. The rivalry between Shirley and Mick and Co, is more about who they believe, etc... So it's understandable they are going to fall out over it. Shirley is trying with Mick, and she was trying with her grandchildren the other week. She isn't treating them that badly. She is treating Linda badly because she believes her son and thinks that Linda is lying...

She has spent so much time trying to reconnect with Dean, so it's understandable she's going to believe her son, and think that Linda is lying, which is why Shirley is treating Linda badly. The only person in the wrong at the end of the day is Dean really! All these Shirley is a vile creature for believing her son comments are laughable! Linda would believe Johnny or Lee over someone claiming that they were raped by them!

Edit: I read your comment wrong!:blush: but everything else I said about her treatment of Linda etc... Is understandable IMO! It's not nice to watch, but Shirley believing her son isn't shocking, it's probably what a lot of mothers would do! The lack of evidence doesn't help. Such a shame for Linda, but they are trying to portray real life, and I'm no expert, but I suppose things like this can happen in real life!:(
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Easy and wrong way to wrap up the story" - beaten to within an inch of his life then by a mysterious assailant.