Red Light district in Amsterdam

13»

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Tubtui wrote: »
    It seems like a waste of money to me to book a flight and hotel room just to get drunk and look at naked women in another country when you can do the same closer to home.
    Depending on how much they drink they won't remember much afterwards anyway.

Exactly. Plenty of places in the UK for all that.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    It's always the newbie that bumps old threads, but then I tend to think it's one particular person using multiple accounts - there was someone a while back in GD who always bumped years old threads, often with really daft, inane comments until they got banned.

F***, I've just noticed. I'm reply to a bleeding four year old thread.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Rappi_Man wrote: »
    I would recommend both Banana Bar and Casa Rosso. They are fun places to visit and neither one of them has nothing to do with prostitution.

You can read more about Amsterdam red light districts from here: http://www.wikisexguide.com/wiki/Amsterdam

Do you have a connection with either place?
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't help wondering why the need to go to Amsterdam if all they want is some innocent, if drunken, fun? Just asking.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help wondering why the need to go to Amsterdam if all they want is some innocent, if drunken, fun? Just asking.

You can walk through the district for a joke, maybe go into a stripper club, but never use the services.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..but never use the services.

I did and i'm still here to tell the tale. no green skin or scales or anything like that :)
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did and i'm still here to tell the tale. no green skin or scales or anything like that :)

I think for most people its not fear of catching something, its just a bit seedy and there is shame attached. But some people do, and what happens there stays there. I personally would not.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Rappi_Man wrote: »
    I would recommend both Banana Bar and Casa Rosso. They are fun places to visit and neither one of them has nothing to do with prostitution.

You can read more about Amsterdam red light districts from here: http://www.wikisexguide.com/wiki/Amsterdam
    It's always the newbie that bumps old threads, but then I tend to think it's one particular person using multiple accounts - there was someone a while back in GD who always bumped years old threads, often with really daft, inane comments until they got banned.

Since then, all the mega-bumps have been by new accounts with less than 10 posts, so it does make me wonder.

Anyway, I don't really see what the issue is with Amsterdam and going in to the "shops", if you want to call them that :). I think it's typical of the british psyche that it's supposed to be a big deal or something 'seedy' when it comes to sex or anything like that. I went in to one when I worked out there and the world didn't come to an end or anything.

I nearly knocked myself out on the way out, but then i think i've told that story before .. heh :)

Rappi_man actually started a thread a week ago called Sex Tourism Destinations , then never revisited it.

Rappi_man also claims to be a 63 year old woman. :confused:

Spam for tea , anyone ? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think for most people its not fear of catching something, its just a bit seedy and there is shame attached. But some people do, and what happens there stays there. I personally would not.

There's only "shame attached" if you subscribe to this typically british attitude that it's something to be ashamed of. I can certainly understand if you're married but if not then I can't really see a problem if it's something you (not you specifically it'scold) choose to do and I, for one, would never judge someone who did.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    I'd find it all very embarrassing - I don't think I'd dare ask for more than directions to the post office. I don't know how people pluck up the courage, I really don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I'd find it all very embarrassing - I don't think I'd dare ask for more than directions to the post office. I don't know how people pluck up the courage, I really don't.

I remember when I was there once and I saw a group of middle aged woman all huddled together in a crowd trying to hold a map. They're all laughing nervously and trying to find their way somewhere and i realised they were from england so i asked them if they were lost.

One of them said "We're, um, we're .. trying to find the red light district. We're not looking for work or anything!!! hahahahahahaha!!!!".

As far as plucking up the courage goes, if it's in Amsterdam it's actually fairly easy - you're in another country, nobody knows you out there so why not ?. When in rome and all that ..
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visited Amsterdam in January and had a walk through the district. A few ladies in underwear in the windows, but honestly, it seemed all rather tame and discreet, including the 'coffee shops.' I've seen much more blatant stuff around in Montmartre in Paris. Nothing to get het up or embarrassed about at all. As for directions it's clear in any guidebook where it is.

I do believe that Amsterdam has cleaned up quite a bit over recent years, especially regarding the use of drugs, they would come down like a ton of bricks if you were to attempt anything outside of the establishments. It all seemed quite civilised and well-behaved.