Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    What 16 year old boy would genuinely wish to hang around with a 13 year old girl from school all the time? Especially one like Faye who looks even younger than 13. It would come across as a little bit strange I think. Three years at that age is an enormous gap.

While I'm at it, the salon seemed to be doing roaring business. Zero custom! I know the one in my town that is always busy doing trade with men and women from early morning until evening if you walk past and gaze in the window. It was meant to be afternoon so where was everyone? Extra's given a day off were they?

He lives on the street who else is he meant to hang about wiih?! You should know by now that the street is a local street for local people! Craig and Faye will be married in a few years time. In few years time, they should all be a bunch of inbreds! :o

http://www.theimagesgroup.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Are-You-Local.jpg
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    I thought Sarah was Brian's and only David was Martins. Although I confess to not being an expert.

Seeing Sarah with Nick(y) does emphasise how much older the actor is than his character. He'd pass for Sarah's father rather than older brother.

Martin adopted Sarah and Nick.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition to the previous comments about how ridiculous it was Sarah getting the pub job, Eva left ages ago so why only now has she been replaced?

Last night I did something I haven't done before - I just couldn't face the Platts and Callum so fast forwarded through most of their scenes. A sad state of affairs for a loyal viewer since 1978.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin adopted Sarah and Nick.

I don't think Martin adopted Nick as Nick is still known as Nick Tilsley. I think Martin wanted to but Ivy kicked up a stink as she wanted at least one of Brian's children to still have the Tilsley name.

I might be remembering that wrong though.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Martin adopted Nick as Nick is still known as Nick Tilsley. I think Martin wanted to but Ivy kicked up a stink as she wanted at least one of Brian's children to still have the Tilsley name.

I might be remembering that wrong though.

He was adopted and got the surname Platt, but I think Nick had his surname changed back as Ivy was to leave him the house on the account he was called Tilsley.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was adopted and got the surname Platt, but I think Nick had his surname changed back as Ivy was to leave him the house on the account he was called Tilsley.

That's it, thanks. I knew Ivy was involved somewhere regarding the name change.
  • Options
    fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never did understand why Sarah always called Martin by his first name rather than dad especially as he adopted her when she was about four. Could maybe understand if she'd been 14 at the time!

The Ivy will thing had to be an early SOR as I don't think that would be a valid condition of any will from what I vaguely remember from my law degree.
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member

Yes, thats how I remember it too. What happened to the house? :confused:
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Chesneys house, number 5
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Nick sold the house to someone, can't remember who.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick sold the house to someone, can't remember who.

I think it was Don (Ivy's second husband).
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    Never did understand why Sarah always called Martin by his first name rather than dad especially as he adopted her when she was about four. Could maybe understand if she'd been 14 at the time!
    Does anyone on here know why David persists in calling his mum "Gail" quite frequently, most recently at the cemetery. It's naff and I just fail to understand it. :confused:
  • Options
    ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone on here know why David persists in calling his mum "Gail" quite frequently, most recently at the cemetery. It's naff and I just fail to understand it. :confused:

I always thought it was just David showing his disrespect for his mother. I'm not sure if he has always called her Gail or if he started after he found out she almost aborted him.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member

I love it when David calls his mum 'Gail'! It never fails to make me chuckle.
  • Options
    fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it when David calls his mum 'Gail'! It never fails to make me chuckle.

Me too. Definitely a disrespect thing. Whereas in Sarah's case using the first name was just odd, that's something you'd do with a stepfather you'd met as an older child, not with an adoptive dad you'd known pretty much your whole childhood.

Said this before admittedly but it's a bit odd Max never calls David dad (even without the forgotten adoption rubbish) as he had said he wanted to when he overheard them talking about it, and most small children who didn't have a father figure surely would call their stepfather this? Yet he calls Callum it having only just met him aged eight? The Corrie writers really know nothing about ordinary families do they?
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member

The Ivy will thing had to be an early SOR as I don't think that would be a valid condition of any will from what I vaguely remember from my law degree.
    Ivy stated in her will that the house should go to Nick if he had changed his name to Tilseley, otherwise it would go to her husband, Don Brennan.

Don disputed the will, but it stood.He was almost evicted during the fight over it, but eventually Nick sold the house to Don.

Whether it is a valid condition or not, the Corrie writers wouldn't let that get in their way of what they thought was a good story.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    In addition to the previous comments about how ridiculous it was Sarah getting the pub job, Eva left ages ago so why only now has she been replaced?

Last night I did something I haven't done before - I just couldn't face the Platts and Callum so fast forwarded through most of their scenes. A sad state of affairs for a loyal viewer since 1978.
    As the producers like Sean Ward so much, what's the betting that he'll stay in Corrie, move into the flat above Dev's with Sarah and Bethany, making the Platts lives even more complicated, and get a job in either the knicker factory, the pub, the kebab shop or the gym?
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Whether it is a valid condition or not, the Corrie writers wouldn't let that get in their way of what they thought was a good story.

On that basis, and using what now seems to be the Corrie principle of disregarding history, can we now expect John Stape and Colin Fishwick to be dug up (literally :o ) to add a bit of spice to Bethany's education and reasons for being at school, or not?
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. Definitely a disrespect thing. Whereas in Sarah's case using the first name was just odd, that's something you'd do with a stepfather you'd met as an older child, not with an adoptive dad you'd known pretty much your whole childhood.

Doesn't Faye refer to Anna and previously Owen as Mum and Dad?
  • Options
    Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    After the wollop that Jenny gave Maria wouldnt she have a bruise on her face the next day???

David got bruises in an hour

Fake Gavin got a black eye in minutes.

Funny old thing bruises in Corrie. In the real world they seem to come the next day
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David got bruises in an hour

Fake Gavin got a black eye in minutes.

Funny old thing bruises in Corrie. In the real world they seem to come the next day

Yet maria gets a wollop and nothing shows
  • Options
    Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »

Seeing what Stuart Blackburn says about her makes you realise how bad CS had become and why/
  • Options
    OndineOndine Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Faye refer to Anna and previously Owen as Mum and Dad?

Faye calls Anna mum but she called previously Owen, Owen. She's still got a dad. He's the bloke who can't read and lives with Sally, sorry his name has slipped my mind.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ondine wrote: »
    Faye calls Anna mum but she called previously Owen, Owen. She's still got a dad. He's the bloke who can't read and lives with Sally, sorry his name has slipped my mind.

You mean Faye's dad is the bloke who could read, then he couldn't read, then he can read again. :)
  • Options
    OndineOndine Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean Faye's dad is the bloke who could read, then he couldn't read, then he can read again. :)

Got it in one. :D:D
This discussion has been closed.