Lorraine upset by news stories

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of Katie Hopkins two years ago. When she appeared on the You're fired show, she has lost a LOT of weight. All the strength she put on the show was clearly a facade. She was clearly affected by the whole thing. No matter how much she was aggressive in the show, the way she was treated after the show was just horrendous. I didn't think she deserved it at the time.

These people are in a competition, I can understand when they deal with each other aggressively, but outside the show, we should be very careful in our comments. Those who fabricate stories about the candidates, should not get away with it.

I know it is all a bit too much for her partner but I hope he considers going back together or at least supports her during this time.

The Kate thing is completely different. Yes, she was aggressive in the show and had a fling with Paul and so on - but she also carvorted naked in a field with a married man. So she was clearly courting publicity. She also wrote on her CV that she had had affairs with married men. I remember that coming up at interview, so Kate clearly brought any vitriol on herself. Lorraine, on the other hand, reminds me of one of those kids at school who other people just target and bully for no discernable reason. Many of the other candidates shout, snap and holler at the others and none of the other candidates pull them up on it - yet when Lorraine voices an opinion she's so terrible. How she has been treated by Phil and to a lesser extent by some of the others is an example of workplace bullying, and I feel very sorry for her - esopecially if the swinger stories are untrue.
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there, in fact, a shred of evidence that any of these stories are fabricated? Other than one piece in the Mirror?

Rather more to the point its there a shred of evidence that any of these stories are true? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    If the stories are false I'm sure she's smart enough to hire a lawyer and sue for libel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    The Kate thing is completely different. Yes, she was aggressive in the show and had a fling with Paul and so on - but she also carvorted naked in a field with a married man. So she was clearly courting publicity. She also wrote on her CV that she had had affairs with married men. I remember that coming up at interview, so Kate clearly brought any vitriol on herself. Lorraine, on the other hand, reminds me of one of those kids at school who other people just target and bully for no discernable reason. Many of the other candidates shout, snap and holler at the others and none of the other candidates pull them up on it - yet when Lorraine voices an opinion she's so terrible. How she has been treated by Phil and to a lesser extent by some of the others is an example of workplace bullying, and I feel very sorry for her - especially if swinger stories are untrue.

I don't believe Lorraine was bullied in the show. Philip and Lorraine had arguments as a result of a personality clash. One of their biggest arguments were in the cereal task and I didn't notice any signs of bullying. They did work well together in the fitness task and he tried to avoid conflict with her in the selling to the trade task.

Even what Yasmina said was under stress. Yasmina did work with Lorraine very well in that task. She used Lorraine's slogan and went with her theme. Overall they got on very well until it was 40 min before the deadline.

As for Katie, do you believe that, if the swinger story is true and Lorraine did discuss it privately with some of the candidates that she deserves what has been written, i.e. she brought it to herself?
  • nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Kate thing is completely different. Yes, she was aggressive in the show and had a fling with Paul and so on - but she also carvorted naked in a field with a married man. So she was clearly courting publicity. She also wrote on her CV that she had had affairs with married men. I remember that coming up at interview, so Kate clearly brought any vitriol on herself. Lorraine, on the other hand, reminds me of one of those kids at school who other people just target and bully for no discernable reason. Many of the other candidates shout, snap and holler at the others and none of the other candidates pull them up on it - yet when Lorraine voices an opinion she's so terrible. How she has been treated by Phil and to a lesser extent by some of the others is an example of workplace bullying, and I feel very sorry for her - esopecially if the swinger stories are untrue.

Personally, I don't think any candidates "deserves" to have untrue stories told aout them in the newspapers. I'm not always even sure if the "true" stories based on past mistakes are needed.

Lets says for hyperthetical reasons; both the stories about Kate and Lorraine are untrue; are you saying one deserves it and one doesn't? and if true; are you saying Lorraine should not have stories printed and Kate should?

People firstly assumed the swinger story true and then assumed this suicidal story true. Has anyone considered that possibly both stories have been massively exaggerated for media purposes? If true, then I feel story for Lorraine. But there is no more evidence of this being true that the article printed about swinging. I take a lot of these stories with a pinch of salt.

Even today, Ben's interview in Heat has a completely different spin to the NOTW one. Even mentioning Kate and Phil. You had mona the other week declaring he was after everyone and it not real. This week Ben is saying how besotted Phil is, how he fancied Kate day one and that it is very real. It's all about one person's standpoint. Lorraine's ex states they broke up over this story. Why and why isn't he supporting her? Why on earth is he selling this story to the newspaper and who sold the original story? When you read from ex candidates how many untrue stories are printed it is almost all based on some tiny grain of truth (ie. at a party). Stories are almost always embellished and dramatised for selling purposes. Even interviews are twisted often.

And Lorraine has most definately not been bullied in the programme. Not always listening to Lorraine and not thinking of her highly does not constitute bullying and it is a gross exaggeration tosuggest it is. And Lorraine has shown us evidence time and time again that she can stand up for herself. She is hardly some meek mild mouse, That's why she is still in the programme and not fired weeks ago.

If people like Lorraine; fair enough. People feeling sorry for Lorraine if the stories are true; fair enough. But this poor Lorraine mentality that she is worse done by than the other contestants and if you dare say anything against her you are victimising her or causing her distress etc.... is wearing thin.

I don't think the swinger stories are true, I don't agree with the way the media pry into the personal lives of candidates (which can cause some serious harm) and I don't enjoy reading about the distress these stories cause candidates. However, I think choosig a show like this means that criticism of someone's business acumen and whether they would be a suitable candidate and other candidates criticising their business acumen etc... is part and parcel of the show and is something very much to be expected. Philip didn't rate Lorraine as a candidate - fair enough. Neither do a few others in there. In the same way they didn't rate Nooral and a few others. Others do rate her; fair enough. That is a person's choice. But it isn't bullying. That sort of behaviour goes on every day in the corporate world. I see it every day. It's why the environment is more stressful, with so much competition and ambition. If they can't cope with it in this show fro other candidates; they simply wouldn't cope in the organisation. It's the corporate lifestyle of workingin blue chip organisations. The article is a different kettle of fish.
  • JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
    Forum Member
    That's a really good post, nickymonger. Very well thought out.

I agree entirely with your points about printing negative stories and especially about candidates pasts being brought up to show them in a bad light. I don't often read press stories unless they've been linked here......and even then I choose not to get taken in by them. I like to think that I judge candidates on how they are on the show and disregard what they did before and after the show.

I don't know what to make of this story about Lorraine and it's all very sad if allegations being made about her are affecting her health. Nobody deserves that. But then again, your point about the ex giving the story to the press in the first place trying to say that he feels sorry for her and yet he's still split up from her. It's very contradictory in that he expects public support of Lorraine and yet he himself is no longer with her or supporting her. Was it all just about making money out of it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe Lorraine was bullied in the show. Philip and Lorraine had arguments as a result of a personality clash. One of their biggest arguments were in the cereal task and I didn't notice any signs of bullying. They did work well together in the fitness task and he tried to avoid conflict with her in the selling to the trade task.

Even what Yasmina said was under stress. Yasmina did work with Lorraine very well in that task. She used Lorraine's slogan and went with her theme. Overall they got on very well until it was 40 min before the deadline.

As for Katie, do you believe that, if the swinger story is true and Lorraine did discuss it privately with some of the candidates that she deserves what has been written, i.e. she brought it to herself?

As of yet we have no idea if the stories of Lorraine being a swinger are true or not. She has said that alot of stories have been fabricated but hasn't actually issued a denial on this story. However, the issue with Katie Hopkins is different. If you write on your CV that you have had several affairs with married men in the workplace then you are making a point of bringing it into the public domain. It was brought up to her in the interview and she admitted that yes, she wrote it on her CV. So yes, it's fair game for that to be printed about - it's a fact. WIth Lorraine, the swinger story is very damaging and we have no idea if it's true or not. So unless the press are 100% sure it's true, then I maintain that it was wrong for them to print it. It's a different issue with KAte. If it is true, then it makes her very foolish not to consider the impact it would have on her and her family.

Finally, the criticisms of Lorraine went beyond that expected at a business level and got quite personal. That was why Phil was fired - Siralan could see he was not professional enough to put aside personal dislike and get on with the task. Just because a person can stand up for themselves, it does not actually mean that they are not being bullied. I used to work in conflict management, and adult bullying is rife in the workplace. Just because it goes on in many workplaces it doesn't mean it's acceptable behaviour. I'm glad last night that Nick Hewer pointed out taht Lorraine was targetted because she was perceived as being different from the others. He clearly saw it went further than ordinary workplace disagreements.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    Poor Lorraine - I hope this is not true - she looked great on You're fired so hopefully she has recovered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally, the criticisms of Lorraine went beyond that expected at a business level and got quite personal. That was why Phil was fired - Siralan could see he was not professional enough to put aside personal dislike and get on with the task. Just because a person can stand up for themselves, it does not actually mean that they are not being bullied. I used to work in conflict management, and adult bullying is rife in the workplace. Just because it goes on in many workplaces it doesn't mean it's acceptable behaviour. I'm glad last night that Nick Hewer pointed out taht Lorraine was targetted because she was perceived as being different from the others. He clearly saw it went further than ordinary workplace disagreements.

Lorraine herself confirmed in her post firing interviews that she was not bullied in the show. She also confirmed my earlier thoughts that she was not affected by the conflicts with the other candidatesand if it was not for her two daughters, she would have not been affected as much by the stories in the media.

The final 5 show yesterday certainly showed Lorraine to be a strong woman. I started watching the show disliking her negativity in pointing out other people's mistakes but she improved over the series and I have warmed to her alot since then. I believe that she will do very well for herself in the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I'm just glad she looked fine and seemed to be doing well on You're Fired. Those tabloid reports made it sound like she was having a breakdown or something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    diary_room wrote: »
    If the stories are false I'm sure she's smart enough to hire a lawyer and sue for libel.

Ever heard of the Streisand Effect?
    WIth Lorraine, the swinger story is very damaging

That rather depends on the truth value of the story and on whether she wants it to be damaging.
  • k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would a national newspaper make this up? Of course it is true. She is clearly up for it. You can tell in her wild, burning eyes. She was only probably upset during the show because she couldn't release herself at one of her legendary parties that the media have told us about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    k-bola wrote: »
    Why would a national newspaper make this up? Of course it is true. She is clearly up for it. You can tell in her wild, burning eyes. She was only probably upset during the show because she couldn't release herself at one of her legendary parties that the media have told us about.

I hope your joking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The News of the World also printed a story about Yasmina having a relationship with their chef. The local paper proved that to be all made up with silly mistakes. Same journo, Dan Wooton (26) was responsible (hah!!) for that and the original Lorraine one. There's your dirty snake. Right there.
    Forum Member
    Tercet2 wrote: »
    The News of the World also printed a story about Yasmina having a relationship with their chef. The local paper proved that to be all made up with silly mistakes. Same journo, Dan Wooton (26) was responsible (hah!!) for that and the original Lorraine one. There's your dirty snake. Right there.

It gets worse..
  • k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope your joking.

why would I joke about such a wild swinger (allegedly) who will do anything (allegedly) with anyone and anything. Burning eyes. burning eyes. Who are you her lawyer?
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?sid=88bcfba3520ddcc1dba812c9ca1389e6&gid=87754916885&ref=search

What a disgusting piece of work the creator of this group is
    (and some of the comments)

I don't think Lorraine got a particularly bad edit and amongst the normal viewing public she is well liked. She just seems really mixed up by a few things she shouldn't be.
    Hopefully she has friends who can help her through this anxious period
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That facebook group is vile! If it's any consolation, it says everything you need to know about the creator-cretin and his mates. Next time he or they apply for a job, that could be found. Hope it is.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,197
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it Lorraine who chucked the Kate/Phil relationship into the mix in the boardroom, in an attempt to get Phil fired? Just interesting that some relationships are fair game to bring up, yet she doesn't like it when the press pry into her own...

How anyone could apply for these shows, and not be prepared for the trash that follows in the media is astonishing - it's not like it's the first time is it - That Boyle woman's had a far harder time of it than her, for example!
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    Wasn't it Lorraine who chucked the Kate/Phil relationship into the mix in the boardroom, in an attempt to get Phil fired? Just interesting that some relationships are fair game to bring up, yet she doesn't like it when the press pry into her own...

Well, the Kate/Phil thing was a fact whereas the Lorraine/swinger thing seems to be a fabrication of the gutter press (who've scored a clean sweep of unsubstantiated rubbish on this series).

There is, I'm sure you realise, a great deal of difference in bringing up something that has an immediate relevance to the matter in hand and making something up that is absolutely irrelevant. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member

How anyone could apply for these shows, and not be prepared for the trash that follows in the media is astonishing - it's not like it's the first time is it - That Boyle woman's had a far harder time of it than her, for example!

No, she mentioned that Kate and Philip's had a close friendship because it contributed to the failure of the task, even Philip has admitted that she was right.

I think it would be wise take this with a pinch of salt, as in interviews Lorraine has confirmed that the majority of the stories reported in the tabloids have been fabricated and that she was fully prepared for public public scrutiny before entering the process. However, I still believe she deserves sympathy and it isn't a competition of who's had the hardest time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Although I believe that Lorraine should not have brought Kate/Phil relationship in the boardroom, I can't see the relevance to the swinger story!!

The relationship was real and was brought up in the context of the game in order to get a rival fired. Why did the media fabricate the swinger story?!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all saw Kate and Philip enjoying themselves, giggling, on that task, not caring about it too much. We don't know the truth about Lorraine - newspapers do lie.