Options

The doctor's enemies are stupid

!!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They thought the doctor would be responsible for the cracks.

So rather than teaming up with the universe's other nasties and building a special inescapable prison, specifically designed to block his personal strengths and ingenuities... one which, no doubt, will prove escapable after all...

why didn't they just shoot him with the bloody big guns each of them seems to have conveniently forgot they all have?

Comments

• Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it wouldn't be a good story. :cool:
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'd regenerate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's against the zeroth law of drama.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'd regenerate.

A much better explanation. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The daleks never take the opportunity just to blow his head off... which would be a rubbish story, but could be a way to end it when the axe eventually falls again....
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    They thought the doctor would be responsible for the cracks.

So rather than teaming up with the universe's other nasties and building a special inescapable prison, specifically designed to block his personal strengths and ingenuities... one which, no doubt, will prove escapable after all...

why didn't they just shoot him with the bloody big guns each of them seems to have conveniently forgot they all have?

Also, however brilliant they think they are, they all know they have been bested by the Doctor on numerous ocasions. Therefore, the best way to get rid of him is to permanently incapacitate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'd regenerate.

Dalek guns tend to make the person disintegrate. I doubt he could regenerate from that!

Still, it's the James Bond school of drama.

"Ah, Mr Bond. You've found my lair! Let me explain in minute detail the intricacies of my plan and any potential weak spots. And then, rather than killing you outright, I shall put you in a cell from which you might escape! You'll never stop me!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Also, however brilliant they think they are, they all know they have been bested by the Doctor on numerous ocasions. Therefore, the best way to get rid of him is to permanently incapacitate.

Yeah, but you could read "the best way to get rid of him is to permanently incapacitate"

as

"the best way to get rid of him is not to shoot him, destroy his brain* or use up his regenerations, but to lock him away where someone, somewhere, might find him again"

* that might just be zombies, though maybe it works on timelords too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dalek guns tend to make the person disintegrate. I doubt he could regenerate from that!
    Still, it's the James Bond school of drama.

"Ah, Mr Bond. You've found my lair! Let me explain in minute detail the intricacies of my plan and any potential weak spots. And then, rather than killing you outright, I shall put you in a cell from which you might escape! You'll never stop me!"

He could come back. The Master was burnt to a crisp and he did. (Twice)
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Yeah, but you could read "the best way to get rid of him is to permanently incapacitate"

as

"the best way to get rid of him is not to shoot him, destroy his brain* or use up his regenerations, but to lock him away where someone, somewhere, might find him again"

* that might just be zombies, though maybe it works on timelords too

Also, it's quite clear the Alliance are being manipulated somehow. So it's not really their plan - whoever it is in charge will have thought of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tennant was shot by a dalek and regenerated.

Although the real reason he can't be shot is that he isn't Gareth Thomas.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'd regenerate.
    Not necessarily. Instantaneous death negates the regenerative process. And in any case, they'd just have to shoot him again straight away.
    aardvark85 wrote: »
    Although the real reason he can't be shot is that he isn't Gareth Thomas.
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could come back. The Master was burnt to a crisp and he did. (Twice)
    Not necessarily. Instantaneous death negates the regenerative process. And in any case, they'd just have to shoot him again straight away.
    :D:D:D

What about my point about the Master, though?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'd regenerate.

he only has 12 regenerations, unless that is changed somehow, he is currently on his 10th regeneration, they'd just have to kill him twice more and he'd be bye bye doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about my point about the Master, though?

Well, we have no idea how he survived his apparent death on Sarn, but the Master's most recent resurrection involved outside help and wasn't really that successful in any case. I can't see the Doctor taking that route.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCRendle wrote: »
    he only has 12 regenerations, unless that is changed somehow, he is currently on his 10th regeneration, they'd just have to kill him twice more and he'd be bye bye doctor.

So they say. I don't believe it. What about the Master, how many regenerations has he had? I'm sure its more than 12. Where's Tingramretro when you need him?
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    Wasn't the idea that the alliance also consisted of races who wouldn't necessarily have advocated the death penalty? This was, after all, an accidental crime that the Doctor had not yet committed.

So they went with perpetual imprisonment instead.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they say. I don't believe it. What about the Master, how many regenerations has he had? I'm sure its more than 12. Where's Tingramretro when you need him?
    The Master had used up all his regenerations by The Deadly Assassin. He survived this by stealing the body of Tremas of Traken using the power of the Keeper (not a regeneration) and later, in the novel First Frontier, achieved a kind of regeneration with the use of alien technology. He then survived his execution on Skaro by transferring his consciousness into an alien Morphant and subsequently possessing the body of an ambulance driver (also not a regeneration). None of these were true regenerations in the strictest sense. He appears to have gained a new set of regenerations after being resurrected by the Time Lords, but it's doubtful he could have done this without their help or he'd have done it long before. By my reckoning, he's currently on about his eighteenth body.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    Wasn't the idea that the alliance also consisted of races who wouldn't necessarily have advocated the death penalty? This was, after all, an accidental crime that the Doctor had not yet committed.

Regards,

Cypher
    Yes. I doubt the Draconians or Judoon would have sentenced him to death for a crime he might commit.
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because shooting him with big guns is what they always try to do.

And always fail.

Time for plan B...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Master had used up all his regenerations by The Deadly Assassin. He survived this by stealing the body of Tremas of Traken using the power of the Keeper (not a regeneration) and later, in the novel First Frontier, achieved a kind of regeneration with the use of alien technology. He then survived his execution on Skaro by transferring his consciousness into an alien Morphant and subsequently possessing the body of an ambulance driver (also not a regeneration). None of these were true regenerations in the strictest sense. He appears to have gained a new set of regenerations after being resurrected by the Time Lords, but it's doubtful he could have done this without their help or he'd have done it long before. By my reckoning, he's currently on about his eighteenth body.

OK, I'm wrong then.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Regards,

Cypher

Yes, a much more liberal and compassionate response :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the Master, how many regenerations has he had? I'm sure its more than 12.
    it took the Time Lords using special measures during the Time War to bring him back.
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    Yes. I doubt the Draconians or Judoon would have sentenced him to death for a crime he might commit.

Exactly - I'm sure the Dracanians had made him an honourary nobleman (or something like that), and the Judoon hardly viewed him as a source of evil...maybe a bit of a troublemaker.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly - I'm sure the Dracanians had made him an honourary nobleman (or something like that), and the Judoon hardly viewed him as a source of evil...maybe a bit of a troublemaker.

Regards,

Cypher

He was made an honorary noble of Draconia by the 15th Emperor.