Options

WORST Christmas song??

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry to open the thread a bit early but I wonder if anyone has any worst Christmas songs they wish to share/warn us about....

It seems that everyone agrees on the same "best of". Whats the worst??

Comments

• Options
    x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mud - Lonely this christmas. Depressing
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody. I absolutely detest the song and how it's re-dug up every Christmas and is usually playing in every shop I go into from, well from about now really! The most stupid, cringeworthy, awfully sung song ever.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    x+y wrote: »

I agree - it's depressing and I would go as far to say banal too. I will admit to not minding one or two of Mud's other hits but 'Lonely This Christmas' isn't one of them. The only relatively good thing about it was the infamous performance on Top of the Pops where Les Gray messed about with a ventriloquist dummy during the spoken part in the song. Watch out for Jimmy Savile at the start of the clip! :D

I've suggested the following in previous years but they represent some of the worst in my opinion:

Ronan Keating & Maire Brennan - Fairytale of New York. Without a doubt, this is one poor cover version. The rewritten lyrics are just glowing examples of P.C. tripe: "you're cheap and you're haggard" don't cut it for me I'm afraid.

Cheeky Girls - Have A Cheeky Christmas . I was never a fan of the music and whilst it may have only been for a laugh, this number was definitely a step too far. How anybody could admit to liking this I don't know.

Band Aid II - Do They Know It's Christmas. Everybody should listen to this version at least once and if possible, watch the video too. There were some excellent artists involved, notably Lisa Stansfield, Chris Rea and Jimmy Somerville. However, the line-up pales in comparison to the original Band Aid. I'm not the biggest fan but this is possibly one of the poorest examples of the 'Hit Factory' sound.

S Club Juniors - Sleigh Ride. Yuck!

Spice Girls - Christmas Wrapping. Thankfully not heard a lot but for some reason, the Girls (well, 2 of them) did a cover of The Waitresses' christmas classic and sort of updated it. For example, I'm sure 'Tesco' is mentioned in it. A b-side that occasionally turned up on inferior compilations - a b-grade in essence.

However, the worst surely must be Steps' cover of Slade's 'Merry Xmas Everybody.'
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    Ronan Keating & Maire Brennan - Fairytale of New York. Without a doubt, this is one poor cover version. The rewritten lyrics are just glowing examples of P.C. tripe: "you're cheap and you're haggard" don't cut it for me I'm afraid.
    I didn't know they had a cover so I checked it out :eek: :eek: :eek: Words fail me, so I'll quote one of the comments instead
    he should be shot with a ball of his own shite for even attempting to do this.

so so embarressed for you ronan.

the longer it goes on the worse it gets.

I dont have the vocabulary to express my utter contempt for this unmitigated diaster.
  • Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x+y wrote: »

LOVE this song!!
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    One of Cliff Richards' Christmas songs.

*Shivers*
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Fairytales of new york

Seen as a classic but i hate it with a passion.
  • Options
    NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul McCartney. It's like fingernails on a blackboard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    Fairytales of new york

You're not alone.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairytale of new york

i dislike it now.... its well overdone, besides it isnt really a christmas song! its a song that mentions christmas.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not alone.

I agree. Also hate Mud...Elvis wannabe **** who thinks he's oh-so-funny when he breaks out the ventriloquist's dummy. Har bloody har.

Despite being a Macca fan, I also detest Wonderful Christmastime. Saccharine to the point of nausea-inducing.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairytales of new york

fifthed
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem with Fairytale of New York isn't so much the song itself as the reasons why people seem to go nuts for it.

"He's drunk..she hates him...it's wot Xmas is really like innit?...He said ****...hurr hurr."
  • Options
    LadyFluffLadyFluff Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    A Spaceman Came Traveling - loathe the song, probably because I first heard it when I was being bullied in school and the bully ringleader loved the song, as did the teacher who did nothing about it.
    So I'm probably just bitter, but I refuse to listen to it or add it to my Christmas MP3 collection...
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since I'm a bit of a Scrooge I loathe most Christmas songs but special mention has to go to Cliff who has a knack of releasing utter tripe at this time of year.

However, even worse than Cliff is "Merry Xmas Everyone" by Shaking Stevens. God it's awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    The Spice Girls and East 17 songs, which i do not see how they actually relate to Christmas anyway, but there we go.

They seem to manage to find their way onto a lot of Christmas albums, somehow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    absolutely all of them. They have managed to destroy any pleasure in christmas shopping, as a trip to the shops is now constant bombardment of musical tinsel and cheese.

ok, thats not the songs fault themselves, but the overall effect is overkill, which is detrimental to the songs, as they now only raise my stress levels, rather than engage any festive spirit.

Still love a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds singing Away In A Manger in the school or nursery nativity during the week of christmas though ( brings a tear to my eye every time)
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cliff Ricahrd - Mistletoe & Wine.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Nellie the elephant.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairytales of new york

Me too...and the Spice Girls' massacre of the Waitresses' Xmas Wrapping

Shakin' bleeding Stevens - Merry Christmas everyone

I would also add the 2nd and 3rd Band Aid tunes
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this thread OP, I now have my chance to vent :D

Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody
    Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
    Wizzard - I Wish It Could be Christmas everyday
    East 17 - Stay Another Day
    That one by The Darkness I can't remember the name of
    Band Aid II - Do They Know its Christmas (much prefer the original 80s version)
    Most of Cliff Richard's ones (especially Mistletoe and Wine)
    That Shakin' Stevens one (gets annoying after a while)

There's probably others...
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairytales of new york

Same here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Cliff Richard- The Millenium Prayer.

Good god it's awful. The tune of Auld Lang Syne set to the words of the Lords Prayer. As if that wasn't bad enough the video featured good ole Cliff singing it in front of a bunch of starving Africans. Was number one for a few weeks as i recall
  • Options
    WizardjWizardj Posts: 3,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairytales of new york

Same here. Can't stand Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You, Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone or any Christmas song by Cliff Richard either
  • Options
    speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You (damn you dfs adverts!!)