Options

Can I download Vista?

VinnienetVinnienet Posts: 2,100
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there anywhere that I can download Windows Vista from? I want to do a clean install of my PC, I assume I can use the key that came with the computer?

I did a quick google search but it didn't seem to give me anything :(

Comments

• Options
    chaos77chaos77 Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would be looking for the retail disk? i honestly don't think there is a legal way of downloading vista! Can someone prove me wrong?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vinnienet wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that I can download Windows Vista from? I want to do a clean install of my PC, I assume I can use the key that came with the computer?

I did a quick google search but it didn't seem to give me anything :(

Not legally. Plus, you have an OEM key, so you would need an OEM disk.

Don't you have a recovery partition on the PC? What make/model is it?
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    If you can borrow a disk of the same type, ie. OEM or retail probably the former and enter your key when required ... then you should be ok, or so I'm led to believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I thought it was simpler than that, isn't the program useless without a key (effectively?)
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I thought it was simpler than that, isn't the program useless without a key (effectively?)

Yep - without a legit key you've got a maximum of 90 days in which to get one. If you don't the OS will lock itself down, basically stopping you from creating new files or modifying existing ones.. pretty much rendering your computer useless.

You should be able to use your key existing key with any OEM Vista DVD/installer, or if it was retail licence, then with any retail copy.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Most branded PCs from the last five years or so will come with either a recovery partition or a recovery disk. Either of these will allow you to restore back to factory settings. Check the documentation which came with the machine or search Google for your particular model.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Most branded PCs from the last five years or so will come with either a recovery partition or a recovery disk. Either of these will allow you to restore back to factory settings. Check the documentation which came with the machine or search Google for your particular model.
    I don't think there is anything obvious on the PC itself and if there's a disk then it's lost in the other disks that I have :(

I might just treat myself to a new PC :)
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Money > sense ? ;)

Have a look in Disk Management to see if there is a hidden partition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Money > sense ? ;)
    Definitely!

I'll have a look, cheers :)
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any definitive source stating whether or not downloading the OS is illegal?

After all, you can install the OS without providing a product key, and you don't need to do so for at least 30 days. What other reason did MS do this for?

Indeed, for Windows 7 at least, MS personally sanction the download and use for trial: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495

(and if you buy Windows 7 using certain methods, such as MS' "ultimate steal" for students, you have to download the ISO anyway unless you want to pay £10 for a disc)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, downloading isn't really the problem, is it.

The problem is with licensing. You will find that downloaded versions will work until MS get wise to the fake license key - then they'll block it, essentially making it useless, and no way of recovering it without a matching disk and key.

The Internet is such an integral part of Windows these days, that you need access to it just so you can start playing many games, installing updates, or creating files you want to share with others.

You even need the Internet to use Office applications these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobAnt wrote: »

The problem is with licensing. You will find that downloaded versions will work until MS get wise to the fake license key - then they'll block it, essentially making it useless, and no way of recovering it without a matching disk and key.
    +1.

When my brother's Sony laptop HDD packed up, I had to install a new HDD, obviously. Problem was I had no copy of Vista OEM. Sony didn't supply one either. So I downloaded a copy and used the Vista OEM licence key supplied with the laptop. Hey presto!, legit Vista OEM.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Internet is such an integral part of Windows these days, that you need access to it just so you can start playing many games, installing updates, or creating files you want to share with others.

You even need the Internet to use Office applications these days.

SOME things you just have to buy because faffing around with the "alternatives" just isn't worth the hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which is why, as the OP stated, you download a unmolested image (easier than you think) and use the product key that came with your machine.

It isn't a "fake licence key" then.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those options sound good, but another alternative is to buy a full retail (non-OEM, non-upgrade) copy of Windows 7 - far less expensive than a new computer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Those options sound good, but another alternative is to buy a full retail (non-OEM, non-upgrade) copy of Windows 7 - far less expensive than a new computer.

an even better way is to buy the upgrade version (cheaper), then there is a registry key you can change so that windows doesn't detect you don't have a previous version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an even better way is to buy the upgrade version (cheaper), then there is a registry key you can change so that windows doesn't detect you don't have a previous version.
    Is that legal? If is then damnation I've just purchased a full version! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »

If you want to buy Windows, you might as well buy OEM.

I am not sure what the current loopholes are regarding buying it from the usual online retailers, but it used to be that including a free mouse or modem or something met MS' rules.

You save a fair chunk of change, and still get a legit copy (or, at least, the chances of MS caring and invalidating your copy are practically nil). One would assume the retailers buy from MS, so they don't mind the fact that they sell OEM copies in this way.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    I don't think there is anything obvious on the PC itself and if there's a disk then it's lost in the other disks that I have :(

Many recovery partitions are hidden, so it won't be obvious. As said above, either run diskmgmt.msc to see if there is a hidden partition or check Google for you particular model's recovery options.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prankz wrote: »
    When my brother's Sony laptop HDD packed up, I had to install a new HDD, obviously. Problem was I had no copy of Vista OEM. Sony didn't supply one either. So I downloaded a copy and used the Vista OEM licence key supplied with the laptop. Hey presto!, legit Vista OEM.

Errr....no.

Using a legit key with installation media obtained illegitimately does not result in a legit installation of Windows.

Don't confuse 'it passes WGA' with 'legit'.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I am not sure what the current loopholes are regarding buying it from the usual online retailers, but it used to be that including a free mouse or modem or something met MS' rules.

The current 'rules' are the same as they have been since September 2005 - an OEM purchase only results in a legit installation if it is purchased with a fully assembled computer system.

If it wasn't....well see my comment in the post above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon:
    "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, English, 1 Pack, DSP OEI (DVD) (This OEM software is intended for system builders only)"
    "This software is not intended for purchase or installation by consumers. Click (link) for licence details and system builder obligations by manufacturer."
  • Options
    CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can borrow a Vista disc from someone and use your licence key, it will be as 'legit' as it needs to be, I do this for customers at work all the time with our 'spare' MS OEM disc.
    Screw buying windows again just becuase the HD has gone down

And it's never, ever been a problem as far as WGA or activation longevity are concerned.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    The current 'rules' are the same as they have been since September 2005 - an OEM purchase only results in a legit installation if it is purchased with a fully assembled computer system.

If it wasn't....well see my comment in the post above.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but a load of websites out there musn't follow the rules then, as amazon seems to sell the OEM version just on it's own ..... thankfully. I want what I want in a desktop without having to pay some middleman to build it for me ..... which I don't need.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selling OEM to non system builders seems to have always been a grey area in so far as MS obviously can see retailers selling the OEM software to all and sundry but don't seem to do much to prevent it.

As Loobster continually attempts to point out in these threads, installing and getting activated is not the same as being legitimately licenced. He's not trying to be the OEM police but simply highlighting to continuing stream of incorrect assumptions made about OEM and licencing.

As always with MS and OEM software, what you can do in reality bears little to what the licence says you can do.