Charging fans for autographs?

steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was seeing this news item on GB as I cant get into the forums cos theirs some virus that attacks the pc if I go into their message board. Regarding this convention am the only one whos downright disguisted that Moff has the cheek to want fans to pay to get Matts autograph. Thats kinda taking the **** and certenly a child isnt going to understand this.

Their is plenty of celebs who will sign for free and not sure why these jokers reckon its acceptable even though they claim a pic is taken by a pro.

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Was seeing this news item on GB as I cant get into the forums cos theirs some virus that attacks the pc if I go into their message board. Regarding this convention am the only one whos downright disguisted that Moff has the cheek to want fans to pay to get Matts autograph. Thats kinda taking the **** and certenly a child isnt going to understand this.

Their is plenty of celebs who will sign for free and not sure why these jokers reckon its acceptable even though they claim a pic is taken by a pro.
    So it's more than just an autograph, it's a photo as well (staged and taken professionally I guess).

Seems reasonable.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all it's nothing to do with Moffat and second of all it's fairly common to charge for autographs at conventions. Indeed quite recently Tennant was charging something like £40 at an event he attended.
  • TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, I mean the fans are what made them who they are in the first place.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »

Why do people assume that everything they don't like is the fault of the showrunner? Really getting sick and tired of that attitude amongst Who fandom.

As strange as it may sound Moffat doesn't really have the time to organise a convention, that's down to the promoters, in this case BBC Worldwide. While I personaly think the price they're charging should include an autograph there are certainly valid reasons to try and maximise their potential profit from the event (not the least of which is that money goes back into the BBC according to the website so lots of profit = another good reason to keep funding the series).

Another really good reason (albeit one that fans won't like to hear) is simply queue management. There are going to be a limited number of people that can be dealt with in the two hour (2 x 1 hour) slot they have available. Charging in advance is one (fairly crude) way to ensure you only sell as many tickets as you can fit in during that time slot.

As I said I do think they're charging too much for this event (and have made that view clear on the Convention thread) but at the same time I can see that they're at least trying to offer something different. Makeup demos and a 'live' battle scene (x2, once for each track) aren't going to be cheap and nor is the venue they've gone with. Do I think they need to charge for autographs to make it profitable? No, probably not. Do they need to charge for autographs to maximise profits and thus justify the expenditure in a BBC that's stretched financialy as it is? Almost certainly.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can maybe understand it if it's a signed photograph, as these have to be paid for. However, if I walk in with my own autograph book, as I have done in the past, I don't see why I should pay for something that takes less than 10 seconds to do.

I went to one event in the 90's and they had some big Who names there, they didn't charge and if I knew they were going to in advance, I wouldn't have bothered going. It would have made me feel uncomfortable and it also gives an image of the person charging that maybe wasn't there before....:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can maybe understand it if it's a signed photograph, as these have to be paid for. However, if I walk in with my own autograph book, as I have done in the past, I don't see why I should pay for something that takes less than 10 seconds to do.

I went to one event in the 90's and they had some big Who names there, they didn't charge and if I knew they were going to in advance, I wouldn't have bothered going. It would have made me feel uncomfortable and it also gives an image of the person charging that maybe wasn't there before....:rolleyes:

See I don't understand why you'd feel that it changes the image of a person when you're at an official event. Take Karen f'instance - appeared at Film and Comic Con this year and charged for autographs etc. Yet every single person I've seen talk about meeting her out and about has been complimentary, she always seems to have time for fans and comes off as a genuinely nice person.

Matt's another one. Yes he's charging for autographs (although how much of that money he gets of course is another matter) yet he does stuff like this:
    IN other, rather splendid news, My wee nephews were cycling by the river in Henley where they live. They spotted Matt Smith filming something about two rowers, and they hung around for a bit as he got off the boat. He started talking to them (they are massive Doctor Who fans - I have done my Uncly duties very much in that regard) and he chatted to them for a few minutes. Then someone from the production team said to MS “Do you want a lift in the boat?” - they had their base camp about half a mile upstream. MS said “it’s okay, I’ll walk and chat with these boys for a bit”.

So they talked to him as they walked up river for about fifteen minutes; about football, Doctor who etc.

Quotable quotes:

My nephew J (aged 7) - “I got your sonic screwdriver for Christmas”
    MS “It’s brilliant, isn’t it? Have you found the secret invisibility setting?”

Nephew H asked about the filming:
    MS “it’s about two olympic rowers who didn’t get on very well, but won a gold medal. I play the not very good one, but I think that’s just me.”

H also asked about Doctor Who - MS “It’s pretty scary, next half, but if you’ve managed the silents, then you’ll really love it.”

They also said “My Uncle Gelth has been watching Doctor Who since he was really little, and he thinks you’re the best Doctor, equal with Patrick Troughton”
    To which Matt Smith said, “then your Uncle Gelth is a man of infinite taste and discernment.”

And so, as it happens, I am :)

What a nice bloke though, to make the day of just two wee boys who happened to be passing

What a total bar steward! :p

Really think people need to remember that it's not always as simple as "person X is charging for their signature and pocketing the money". There's a ton of different deals to get stars to these events where, let's not forget, people want to meet them. Often they turn up and don't get paid anything except what they make from pics, autographs etc. Sometimes they're contracted by the event and money earned on the day is taken by the convention in whole or in part. In the case of the Official Who Convention you'd assume it's treated as a public event, is in their contracts and the money they make goes to BBC Worldwide rather than the stars.

For me though the true measure of how well stars react to fans is how they deal with them outside of these events and from that perspective I've yet to hear a bad thing about any of the current cast (or crew for that matter).
  • Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Bluntly, Matt's autograph has a market value and BBC Worldwide wouldn't be maximising the money they can send back to the BBC if they gave it away.

Also, there isn't going to be time for everybody to get a photo/autograph. If the organisers did it by a free lottery then a lot of people who didn't get one would complain, and a lot of people who did would stick their ticket on eBay.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    As I understood it on the official convention site, unless I have read it wrong, it is £99 per day to attend, £50 for a photograph and £25 for an autograph. Now by anyone's reasoning that's pretty steep. I understand that the people who have arranged this convention have to cover costs and make a profit but to my mind that's ripping the fans off. I have no doubt the pricing has nothing to do with Matt or any of the other guests, but unfortunately in some peoples eyes they are to condemned for making money from their fans. In America it has long been the case that at conventions you have to pay for an autograph or a photo. Indeed many of the ex Apollo Astronauts make their living by attending conventions and selling pics etc, as do a lot of actors from long finished tv shows ie Star Trek, Land of the Giants etc. A few years ago I attended a comic mart in Newcastle and Caroline Munro was there selling autographed photos of herself, I think they were £5, however much to her minder/manager's annoyance if any fan produced an autograph book she would happily sign it for nothing.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See I don't understand why you'd feel that it changes the image of a person when you're at an official event. Take Karen f'instance - appeared at Film and Comic Con this year and charged for autographs etc. Yet every single person I've seen talk about meeting her out and about has been complimentary, she always seems to have time for fans and comes off as a genuinely nice person.

Matt's another one. Yes he's charging for autographs (although how much of that money he gets of course is another matter) yet he does stuff like this:

What a total bar steward! :p

Really think people need to remember that it's not always as simple as "person X is charging for their signature and pocketing the money". There's a ton of different deals to get stars to these events where, let's not forget, people want to meet them. Often they turn up and don't get paid anything except what they make from pics, autographs etc. Sometimes they're contracted by the event and money earned on the day is taken by the convention in whole or in part. In the case of the Official Who Convention you'd assume it's treated as a public event, is in their contracts and the money they make goes to BBC Worldwide rather than the stars.

For me though the true measure of how well stars react to fans is how they deal with them outside of these events and from that perspective I've yet to hear a bad thing about any of the current cast (or crew for that matter).

Hi Smiddlehurst,

What I was trying to say was it may cause resentment and therefore maybe people might think less of the celebrities themselves. As you say, though, there may be other factors at work that are not due to the celebrities themselves and I have no doubt most of them are nice people. Doesn't have to be their fault but I personally wouldn't go to any event where celebrities charge for autographs. Got no problem paying for the event itself, but that, no. :)
  • Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    As I understood it on the official convention site, unless I have read it wrong, it is £99 per day to attend, £50 for a photograph and £25 for an autograph.

It's £99 for the day and £25 for Matt's photo or autograph. It was originally £20 for Steven, but that's now changed to just a free random draw.

I see from the website that "All Photograph and Autograph opportunities are currently sold out." So it looks like Worldwide didn't price themselves out of the market.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Lazlo Wolf wrote: »
    It's £99 for the day and £25 for Matt's photo or autograph. It was originally £20 for Steven, but that's now changed to just a free random draw.

I see from the website that "All Photograph and Autograph opportunities are currently sold out." So it looks like Worldwide didn't price themselves out of the market.
    very apt...;)

I'm divided on this, on one hand i can see there needs to be a charge for tickets, as EVERYONE would que up, and there would be loads disappointed, and the actors need something for doing this, for coming to the event and spending all day signing, it is their job, they want paid.

I can also see that fans just want something from the stars they love, and shouldn't need to pay for a simple acknowledgment , but then i am guessing they don't charge in the street when someone randomly walks up and asks for an autograph.
  • swadeyswadey Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    I do find the pricing excessive, though with this being a BBC event I'm sure even more names and events will be announced.

To be fair to the event organisers of this, if it is true that "All Photograph and Autograph opportunities are currently sold out." - hats off to them for being honest and saying so...

...A recent London convention sold tickets up-front between £20-£35 for signed pictures, there is some questions that then knew full well their sales exceeded the time it would practically take for the guests to sign all these items.

In the end, many punters left empty handed, as guests took too long to sign, or a guest turned up 2 hours late - As a result they now have to try and get a refund via the organisers.

If guests want to charge that's fine by me, so long as people know this, and how much they will charge.

Certain "big" names often refuse to sign certain images of themselves for various reasons, plus (sometimes contractually) they are limited to what type of material they can sign at an event.

(as an aside I did find it hilarious that Dame Diana Rigg stubbornly used to refuse signing Avengers pictures as "they made her look silly", yet seems more than happy to change her principles and charge £30 for them!).

But that's the guests right, as long as we, the punters are aware of it.

At recent events Christopher Lee / Michael Crawford are two other examples who refused to sign Dracula Shots (Lee) and Crawford would only sign his biography. It was just a shame that the organisers didn't state this.

At least the events organiser seems to be communicating all the relevent info to us, even if perhaps we don't like the outcome !
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is sad when there are such high charges for autographs because it isn't just about that.

Imagine the excitement of a child/adult meeting someone that they admire, that they have only seen on the telly and then meeting them and having that moment, along with the bonus of a photograph or autograph to prove that it happened. Some people have little books filled with autographs. I think that is lovely.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David tennant was charging £40 at one of the Memorabilia events recently, so Matt Smith charging £25 seems quite reasonable.

I was staffing at NEC Memorabilia at the weekend. My group of celebs ("stars of yesteryear" would be the polite way of putting it) were stationed just round the corner from Arthur Darvill. Arthur was £15 a go, and his queue was never less than 30 people long all day.

People are quite able to charge for a signature, especially when they are at the top of their celebrity. Attending a convention, signing or PA is going to be an expensive do, and I am not surprised to hear that MS is charging.

I met MS a couple of months before he was cast as the Doctor: he was in a play with Lindsay Duncan. It was mainly her autograph I was after, but I got him as well as he was passing by. At the NEC at the weekend, i did not begrudge paying Sarah Sutton and Ian McCulloch for signatures.

Matt Smith and Steven Moffat are both perfectly good at signing through the post. Send then an SAE and you can get them for the cost of a stamp:

Matt Smith
    c/o Troika
    3rd Floor
    74 Clerkenwell Road
    London
    EC1M 5QA

Steven Moffat
    c/o Berlin Associates
    7 Tyers Gate
    London
    SE1 3HX

Hope this helps!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swadey wrote: »
    Certain "big" names often refuse to sign certain images of themselves for various reasons, plus (sometimes contractually) they are limited to what type of material they can sign at an event.

(as an aside I did find it hilarious that Dame Diana Rigg stubbornly used to refuse signing Avengers pictures as "they made her look silly", yet seems more than happy to change her principles and charge £30 for them!).

At recent events Christopher Lee / Michael Crawford are two other examples who refused to sign Dracula Shots (Lee) and Crawford would only sign his biography. It was just a shame that the organisers didn't state this.

Dame Di has declined Avengers for many years now. There was a ripple of surprise that she was signing Avengers at the stagedoor of Pygmalion recently, and her Memorabilia/Autographica/Collectormania appearance was shortly after that.

Many actors will not sign anything. Some will only sign selected items. I had a letter from Helen Mirren's agent once, explaining that she doesn't sign through the mail anymore as she feels there are already quite enough of her autographs out there in the world. I supposethe curse of Ebay.

Michael crawdford only signing his book? That does happen quite often at book signing events. I saw Joanna Lumley at a book signing recently: the queue was VAST. Must have been 300 people wanting a signature. Normally, Ms Lumley will sign anything you put in front of her, but she was adamant "BOOK ONLY" on that event, and it's quite reasionable to see why.

Lis Sladen once phoned me, in response to my fanletter. She said that she had mixed up her fanmail and wasn't certain which photos I had sent to her. "Oh, by the way, that's a really unusual photo: where did you get it?". It was not an unusual photo at all, so i can only assume she was clamping down on copyright fraud.

It seems likely that Matt Smith will have a mega queue at his signing, and in order to get the chance to speak to the fan standing inf ront of him while signing there photo, limiting numbers sounds quite reasonable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't they usually charge for things at big conventions?

If it was a signing thing like yesterday I could understand the outrage but surely a convention is there to make money for the promoters etc
    Forum Member
    Lis Sladen once phoned me, in response to my fanletter. She said that she had mixed up her fanmail and wasn't certain which photos I had sent to her. "Oh, by the way, that's a really unusual photo: where did you get it?". It was not an unusual photo at all, so i can only assume she was clamping down on copyright fraud.

It seems likely that Matt Smith will have a mega queue at his signing, and in order to get the chance to speak to the fan standing inf ront of him while signing there photo, limiting numbers sounds quite reasonable.

It's warming to know that Diana appears to have started signing Avengers, she adamantly refused for decades. Perhaps a change of heart ?... I know Linda Thorsen had a bit of a pop at her last year at some private event saying she couldn't understand what her problem was !

Yes, Lis was very VERY propriatorial about people using her image. Her cut out of any promotional work and TV repeats from Dr Who was appalling low, compared to the amount Tom was (and still is) paid per broadcast episode. You would expect Tom/Jon of course to earn more from royalties but the difference Lis got was just "unfair".

We had Lis for many many events in the 1990's/2000's when Dr Who was not as popular as it is now, and as the years went on she became more and more aware of people "cashing in" on her, citing Sadie her daughter as the principal motivation, as she wanted to make sure Sadie got something out of it.

To be honest, it did become very tiresome as Lis would scrutinise every photo passed to her for signing. If it wasn't something she authorised (and there we'rent that many), she simply wouldn't sign, and as you rightly observe chuffnobler, would ask them where they got the item, and she would try and stop them distrubuting anymore. Fair enough I suppose, tho' many in the queue genuinely bought a very good quality item, but Lis felt she couldn't sign as she did not receive any royalties from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's very interesting to read, swadey. I never met Lis, and am still stunned at her having once phoned me. She was famously proprietorial of use of her image, and I can't say i blame her. It's so easy for people to cash in ,especially in the Ebay age.
    Forum Member
    In her (Liz's) autobiography she mentions some publicity photos that were taken that she absolutely hated and tried to have destroyed, perhaps they are the ones she refused to sign.
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    In her (Liz's) autobiography she mentions some publicity photos that were taken that she absolutely hated and tried to have destroyed, perhaps they are the ones she refused to sign.

She had issues with SlowDazzle for years as they were "authorised" but Lis insisted that she hadn't received any royalties from them for years, and was "persuing them".

S&P Parker MovieMarket also infuriated her, S&P were a legit outlet, but again I guess only the photographer owned the rights and Lis got bugger all.

Genuine fans would take pictures of her from Who books, and pop to Boots to get them enlarged for her to sign - They were poor quality (you could also see the written captions below the photo taken from the book!). But to be honest there wasn't a lot of "legit" Lis photo's about, so people "made do".

Lis did sign a lot of stuff like this upto around the late 90's and then she just gave up. Once her stint in Dr Who came, she really protected her "brand".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moviemarket's photo range has greatly reduced recently, I notice ...

Lis hated the official promo photo taken for The Five Doctos. Postcards of that pic are very rare as she wnated them all destroyed. Likewise, Carole Ann Ford's 5Drs postcard is as rare as a rare thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Im Luckly as i work in a Theatre where ex doctors and other cast members are regularly in plays so i can get my DVD covers signed for free.:p
    Forum Member
    matt1969 wrote: »
    Im Luckly as i work in a Theatre where ex doctors and other cast members are regularly in plays so i can get my DVD covers signed for free.:p

Swine :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you have to realise is that the TV industry nowadays is a really tough place to work in. As a result, actors and other people aren't guaranteed work for years and years like they used to be. Am sure some of the guest stars in the show are glad of the money they get from such things in order to keep them going. £25 isn't much when you're going to own that and the memory of it forever.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people assume that everything they don't like is the fault of the showrunner? Really getting sick and tired of that attitude amongst Who fandom.

As strange as it may sound Moffat doesn't really have the time to organise a convention, that's down to the promoters, in this case BBC Worldwide. While I personaly think the price they're charging should include an autograph there are certainly valid reasons to try and maximise their potential profit from the event (not the least of which is that money goes back into the BBC according to the website so lots of profit = another good reason to keep funding the series).

Another really good reason (albeit one that fans won't like to hear) is simply queue management. There are going to be a limited number of people that can be dealt with in the two hour (2 x 1 hour) slot they have available. Charging in advance is one (fairly crude) way to ensure you only sell as many tickets as you can fit in during that time slot.

As I said I do think they're charging too much for this event (and have made that view clear on the Convention thread) but at the same time I can see that they're at least trying to offer something different. Makeup demos and a 'live' battle scene (x2, once for each track) aren't going to be cheap and nor is the venue they've gone with. Do I think they need to charge for autographs to make it profitable? No, probably not. Do they need to charge for autographs to maximise profits and thus justify the expenditure in a BBC that's stretched financialy as it is? Almost certainly.

The thing is though their charging 99 quid for the event anyway which to me with thousands of fans going the company will make a huge profit as doesnt cost that much to hire a hall. Saying that though signings should be included in the price not a separate fee. One way you could look at it is greed greed greed.

I think their was a backlash of fans claiming this isnt child friendly. Thankfully their are other actors about who arent like this and will sign for nothing like they should.