Options

When the young athletes were lighting the cauldron...

chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
Forum Member
....who were the singers at that point?
I don't think I heard the commentators say who they were but I could have missed it?

I heard the children's choir, but there were also some adult singers. I spotted two ladies and a guy who was gripping his mic quite hard. Who were these people? Anyone know?

I loved the sound they were all making. I thought it was very ethereal and sort of floaty.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the music too, made it feel even more emotional
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song is Caliban’s Dream” by Underworld. The young guy is Alex Trimble, lead singer of Two Door Cinema Club, the Soprano was Esme Smith and the percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie. I didn't catch who the Choir were.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you :-)
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    The lighting of the cauldron and the music during it was easily the best part of the show for me.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    katkim wrote: »
    The song is Caliban’s Dream” by Underworld. The young guy is Alex Trimble, lead singer of Two Door Cinema Club, the Soprano was Esme Smith and the percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie. I didn't catch who the Choir were.

Thankyou! I think the choir were the kids who were featured earlier on, when the flag was going up.
    There were two women singing though. So who was the other woman?
    Did the announcers namecheck the adult singers and I missed it?

I thought it sounded fab.
  • Options
    KerangKerang Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I been a fan of Underworld for years, this music is so different to their usual stuff, its an amazingly beautiful song :)
  • Options
    LifeOfBryanLifeOfBryan Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES YES YES!!!

Thank you all I have been trying to find this music from when I cried my eyes out on the opening night when they lit the cauldron.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was haunting and very beautiful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the Opening Ceremony soundtrack from itunes (first time I've used the itunes shop in over 2 years) and I've been playing that song and the drumming one like crazy, and Emeli Sandes version of 'Abide With Me'.

I just realised that she and the Arctic Monkeys were miming to pre-recorded songs. Danny Boyle must not have wanted to leave anything to chance. I don't know why Macca didn't make it onto the soundtrack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I bought the Opening Ceremony soundtrack from itunes (first time I've used the itunes shop in over 2 years) and I've been playing that song and the drumming one like crazy, and Emeli Sandes version of 'Abide With Me'.

I just realised that she and the Arctic Monkeys were miming to pre-recorded songs. Danny Boyle must not have wanted to leave anything to chance. I don't know why Macca didn't make it onto the soundtrack.

I did NOT enjoy McCartney's performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did NOT enjoy McCartney's performance.

Yeah neither did I to be honest. I understand why he was there, though maybe he was a greedy to accept closing both the Jubilee and the opening ceremony, but he was the weakest point of the ceremony, when the closing act really should be the highlight!

But he clearly recorded his performance like Sande and the Arctic Monkeys did, so I don't know why they didn't include it. Maybe some Beatles copyright issue.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was haunting and very beautiful.

Yes it was, and very symbolic too. It was somehow sad and yet spiritually triumphant, all at the same time. Part of the same tune was used in the forging of the olympic rings segment which, I thought, was a parable for anguish and tragedy of industrialisation. Alll the suffering and death was actually not in vain, because something fantastic was created.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it - as long as there's a living Beatle that can sing, he'll be trotted out at "British cultural" events :p Doesn't mean he should be, tho'....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe The queen's parachute jump could have been scheduled to happen as macca came on
    and choreographed so she landed on his head.

na na na na na na now that could have been fun. :D