Options

Tulsa officer shoots man dead after Taser 'mistake' - video

ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
Forum Member
Footage shows a reserve police officer in Tulsa, Oklahoma, shooting and killing a man after mistakenly firing his gun instead of his Taser.

http://www.channel4.com/news/tulsa-police-reserve-eric-harris-robert-bates-oklahoma

The officer is white, the deceased is black.

Comments

• Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The officer should have been policing a desk at best.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »

The Taser is Yellow, the Gun is Black

Must obviously be a color blind cop. (Notice I use the US spelling :))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see he's been charged with manslaughter with culpable negligence. Which can carry a 4 year jail term.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I thought it was my taser".. well that's a new one.

Remind me to never go anywhere near an American policeman.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Yes - awful story.

But in the US 95 per cent of black men murdered are murdered by other black men - yet no one ever seems to discuss that or ask why. Only about 2 per cent by contrast are killed by police officers.

Maybe it's not too different to this country - we only seem to care about the deaths of young black men when they are murdered by a white person.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually more bothered about the blatant disregard for the man's life shown by the other police officers.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    An honest mistake. Got a gun dealer off the street permanently so it's not all bad.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    An honest mistake. Got a gun dealer off the street permanently so it's not all bad.

Alleged gun dealer. Justice requires a fair trial, not policemen acting as judge, jury and (literal) executioners. Too easy for them to make a case after the fact.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    This is what happens when you see yourself as a female boss.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - awful story.

But in the US 95 per cent of black men murdered are murdered by other black men - yet no one ever seems to discuss that or ask why. Only about 2 per cent by contrast are killed by police officers.

Maybe it's not too different to this country - we only seem to care about the deaths of young black men when they are murdered by a white person.

Police officers aren't supposed to be criminals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did the guy not deserve a fair trial to determine his guilt or innocence?
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    The man was clearly running away from the officer. Why was there any need to either taser or shoot him? He was running away and hence was no threat to the cop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    The man was clearly running away from the officer. Why was there any need to either taser or shoot him? He was running away and hence was no threat to the cop.

At the point he was shot, he'd already been caught and was on the ground.
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give them one or the other - taser or gun.

If i were a policeman i'd go for gun every time.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm startled at the officers' blatant disregard for the suspect after he was shot. When he complained he couldn't breathe, one officer replied "Fxxk your breath."

What the hell is that response?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Since when the police are the jury, judge and executioner?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I'm startled at the officers' blatant disregard for the suspect after he was shot. When he complained he couldn't breathe, one officer replied "Fxxk your breath."

The restraint techniques used by Police are a bit dangerous. High risk of positional asphyxia and a wrongful death case levelled at you.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I'm lad the US police are FINALLY being bought to task. Too long have they just done what they liked under the 'to serve and to protect' moniker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

Don't forget one of them put a knee on the man's head after he had been shot & while he was restrained. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    The restraint techniques used by Police are a bit dangerous. High risk of positional asphyxia and a wrongful death case levelled at you.

Lot of amateurs in US law enforcement.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    they do need to be more careful
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »

Why is the colour of the decased and officer always mentioned? Is this shooting racially motivated? If not, I don't see how the colour of those involved is relevant.
    In cases like these there is always the implication in the media that this is yet again another racist white cop unjustly killing black suspects, even though there has not been any evidence shown of racism by the officer beforehand.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - awful story.

Why should only that be discussed? Should we discuss this fact also: 95 % of white people are murdered by other whites, and the same goes for other racial groups. Statistically, the majority of perpetrators target victims who are of the same ethnic group as them, and who are known to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt very much that the gun was used by mistake.

If would be interesting to find out what percentage of those killed by the Police are African American.
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    I doubt very much that the gun was used by mistake.

If would be interesting to find out what percentage of those killed by the Police are African American.

Well, start by looking at these stats Andrew:

Race of Defendants Executed in the U.S. Since 1976:

BLACK 486 34%
    LATINO 113 8%
    WHITE 782 56%
    OTHER 24 2%

Race of Victims Since 1976:

BLACK 312 15.2%
    LATINO 141 6.6%
    WHITE 1567 76.0%
    OTHER 45 2.2%

Persons Executed for Interracial Murders in the U.S. Since 1976

White Defendant / Black Victim (31)

Black Defendant / White Victim (293)

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976

Now Sunshine, when i see you posting threads about black on black or black on white crime i'll listen to you.