Very skinny celebs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
Forum Member
Kate moss looks terrible. How can showing your backbone be attractive?

Her picture is now on display in Christie's auction house.

Not a good role model for women at all.

It is an unatural look. She has starved herself a lot to look like this and why?

Her picture is disgusting.

http://galleries.thelondonpaper.com/slim_celebs/1

Comments

• Merry HappyMerry Happy Posts: 8,228
    Forum Member
    So is this about all skinny celebs or just Kate Moss? To be fair, I think she is naturally skinny since she has been since she was 15 and first in the public eye that's not to say I think she looks particulary healthy but some folk are just like that.

It's people who go skinny after being a little podgy beforehand that bother me, they end up not suiting their new figure and it adds years to their looks.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, Kate Moss has always been on the very thin - even sometimes malnourished-looking - side.

She obviously has that kind of figure, but there are other people who clearly don't eat a full diet in order to reach size zero proportions (hello Mrs Beckham, Jordan, etc)
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Moss is one of those women who are naturally thin as against Victoria Beckham who is a woman who isn't but starves herself trying to become someone she isn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I am naturally skinny and you can see my spine. Not a problem for me and nothing I can do about it. How is it disgusting??
  • Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    xarjia wrote: »

It is an unatural look. She has starved herself a lot to look like this and why?

Gross, and how many more times do we have to put up with seeing Kate Dross in the nud?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And people would actually pay money to see that piece of "artwork"??! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    mazurka wrote: »
    I am naturally skinny and you can see my spine. Not a problem for me and nothing I can do about it. How is it disgusting??

I am naturally slim, and when I was younger up until I was about 16 I was very skinny. But I ate just as much as everyone else, I don't know why but I suddenly started putting on a lot of weight when i was 16, now I am almost 18 and have gone from 7 and a half stone to 9 stone 11, I am 5ft 6 btw. I just feel for those people who can never put on any weight, because I know how it felt to have people say you look annorexic and constantly point out how skinny you are. You wouldn't do it to really fat people so why do it to really skinny people?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't actually think she looks that thin in that picture. She looks in proportion. You can see her spine but you can't really see other bones poking out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazurka wrote: »

:) I'm sure you look lovely.

The problem with any debate on extremely slim people is that it is not always possible to tell at a glance the difference between people who are fit, well-fed, healthy, happy and genetically whippet-like and people who are on the verge of death. I mean, Keira Knightley's body fat is extraordinarily low, but she doesn't really look ill, and one assumes that she is eating a reasonable diet.

As long as women continue to have a normal menstrual cycle their low body weight shouldn't be doing them any harm. Which does appear to include Victoria Beckham. The frequency with which celeb mothers either adopt (Calista Flockhart) or rely on assisted conception (generally speaking, anyone who has twins, though obviously this CAN just happen!) suggests that some celebs are not eating enough to stay well.
  • Lush_LolaLush_Lola Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just the way she's sitting that makes her spine show, and she doesn't starve herself its her natural size.
  • The DaneThe Dane Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    People have different shapes.

With my body type I shouldn't be too thin, since I would look gaunt and frankly emaciated, but some have a smaller frame than me and will look less gaunt if they weigh less than I do.

In all this obsession with being too big, I'd like to say that some people have problems gaining weight. I have a colleague who would LOVE to just gain 10 pounds, even 20, she is so thin, her metabolism is sky high, and she does not eat light products, although she eats healthily. And she hates being so thin! She says she's almost always freezing.

So not all slim people are anorexic or too obsessed with being slim:)
  • Billy NomatesBilly Nomates Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Mrs Nomates is tiny. She eats like a horse, more than me and I'm about 15 stone. people are always saying to her, "you must starve yourself", "you're too thin" etc and it seems to be acceptable for people to talk to her like this, yet if she said to an overweight person, "eat less and exercise more" this would not be acceptable. why?
  • ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member

That picture is not disgusting IMO.
    Would you care to post one of yourself in that pose so we can compare and contrast?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much Kate's alleged drug use contributes to her still sylph-like physique?

Of course it may be entirely down to nature and a good metabolism......:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Nomates is tiny. She eats like a horse, more than me and I'm about 15 stone. people are always saying to her, "you must starve yourself", "you're too thin" etc and it seems to be acceptable for people to talk to her like this, yet if she said to an overweight person, "eat less and exercise more" this would not be acceptable. why?

Making critical remarks about someone else's body is always horrible. :mad:

Even so, I promise that fat people do have it worse. I have been a variety of shapes (apart from thin) over the years, and can promise you that nothing quite matches the face of a salesgirl in a clothes shop when a girl too large for the clothes walks through the door. Or the howls of laughter from a tv audience when, in a side-splitting tv comedy, a man finds himself confronted by a fat girl. At my maximum size 20 I as not exactly in the 'insults shouted in the street' category, but I was definitely in the 'person at party very obviously nudges neighbour and nods faintly in my direction to stop him making fattist comments' category.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsh1807 wrote: »
    I wonder how much Kate's alleged drug use contributes to her still sylph-like physique?

Of course it may be entirely down to nature and a good metabolism......:)

Of course. That's what they all say. ;)
  • Billy NomatesBilly Nomates Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Making critical remarks about someone else's body is always horrible. :mad:

Even so, I promise that fat people do have it worse. I have been a variety of shapes (apart from thin) over the years, and can promise you that nothing quite matches the face of a salesgirl in a clothes shop when a girl too large for the clothes walks through the door. Or the howls of laughter from a tv audience when, in a side-splitting tv comedy, a man finds himself confronted by a fat girl. At my maximum size 20 I as not exactly in the 'insults shouted in the street' category, but I was definitely in the 'person at party very obviously nudges neighbour and nods faintly in my direction to stop him making fattist comments' category.

But it is always larger ladies that say it to her, if what you say is true (and I don't doubt it is) you'd think they would know better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it is always larger ladies that say it to her, if what you say is true (and I don't doubt it is) you'd think they would know better.

For some reason the whole area of weight brings out the very worst in people. All I can think is that 'larger ladies' sometimes have the unattractive characteristic (common to bullied people) of looking for someone they can bully in their turn.

I do wish people would be a bit more accepting of human diversity. I can't help noticing that in old novels a "fine-looking woman" meant nothing more than someone healthy and cheerful. Today women seem to be expected to conform to an almost impossible ideal: extremely slim but with large, gravity-defying breasts; teeth of a dazzling whiteness all identical in size and shape; skin like a five year old, no body hair ever, abdominal muscles of steel and a mane of blonde, perfectly straight hair. Fail publically on any of these counts and Heat magazine will put you on their circle of shame page. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member

My GF eats plenty too and is a size 8. Mind you, she works out quite a bit down the gym so this will contribute to her staying trim and eating what she likes.

On the subject of weight loss, it's actually harder for women to keep their weight down - mostly - than it is for men. Men carry more muscle than women and muscle burns fat. That's why women who work out and build muscle can stay slimmer.

It's harder as you get older too to lose weight and that's not an ageist thing - it's a fact - the metabolism slows down as we age. The only real thing to do to help is to exercise regularly and eat healthily - never mind all the faddy diets. Exercise and a good eating plan are the only things that will help people long-term.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OATZ MM wrote: »
    It's harder as you get older too to lose weight and that's not an ageist thing - it's a fact - the metabolism slows down as we age. .

That is tragically true. My recollection of my early adult years is that I lived on lard and cheap cider and I seemed none the worse for it. Nowadays I live on guilt and cravings and am considerably bigger.
  • JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That looks like a really old picture, before the surgery :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    That picture is not disgusting IMO.
    Would you care to post one of yourself in that pose so we can compare and contrast?

I certainly don't have my spine showing but then I train a lot in the gym so I have a very althletic body.

It's all subjective. If you find seeing someone's spine attractive, then that's your opinion. I certainly don't. Equally, you might not think a fit dancer's body is attractive like I do. It's up to you.

I have been a variety of sizes all my life and was size 4-6 a few yrs ago of lean muscle.

I have also been a size 12 carrying large amounts of body fat for a good few yrs.

There are only a few people that are naturally like that but even then YOU CAN ALWAYS CHANGE your body if you know how and if you are not happy.

If you are naturally thin and want to put on weight, you can do so. i have done it and am now a size 8-10 of muscle.

I go to the gym and have been doing heavy weights for yrs and have put on muscle to get to this size.

It's not about being fat or thin, it's about being healthy and lean with a bit of muscle to support your body so you are not cold all the time, can wear most clothes (as it is hard to find size 4-6 in every shop unless you buy kids clothes) and are fit.

In my opinion, she does not look well, I'm sorry, it comes with being so anorexic looking and does give off that image. I'm sure i am not the only one that thinks that look is harming and a bad message to young teenage girls today.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For one thing, she's a model not a role model.

But more importantly, that's a very old picture anyway and as you can see, she's always been tiny (even pre-fame) so not sure what your point is tbh.:confused:
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The photo of Kate Moss makes it look as though she only has one leg.
  • justagirl83justagirl83 Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of Kate Moss, and I have seen her looking a bit too thin, but in this photo she looks absolutely fine.

Some people just have a more prominent spine than others. My spine is visible at size 6-8, but it was also visible when I was a size 12.

I find it worrying that even naturally slim people are automatically labelled as unhealthy or anorexic these days.