Options

"Ghost" image when watching DVD

I have a Wharfedale 21" CRT, and ever since I got it (which was a couple of years ago), there's always been this "ghost" image when watching a DVD.

When the DVD menu is on you get an outline of the actual image, it's quite annoying and I had it on an old Sanyo CRT too. I have Sky & Video plugged in to the TV and have no problems with either of them.

I don't believe it's the DVD player as I've tried another one. So is there a solution to this at all?

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    It's almost certainly because it's a crappy un-screened SCART lead.

Either replace it with a better screened one, or cut the output leads off teh TV SCART plug (it's the output signal from the TV coupling back to the input).
  • Options
    StoppingServiceStoppingService Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=32897574&highlight=cutting+scart+pin+pins+1+3+19#post32897574

Less radical than cutting the wires, you can pinch the relevant pins with tweezers (at their roots to release the locking tags) and retract them into the body of the "TV end" Scart plug.

Regards
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=32897574&highlight=cutting+scart+pin+pins+1+3+19#post32897574

Less radical than cutting the wires, you can pinch the relevant pins with tweezers (at their roots to release the locking tags) and retract them into the body of the "TV end" Scart plug.

Regards
    DO NOT do that!

The chances are that if it is a cheap and cheerful lead with no screening it is equally likely they have not bothered to insulate the pins inside the plug.

Therefore shoving metal pins into the body of a plug is just asking to short circuit two or more pins. Not a good idea.

The true answer to the problem of course is to buy a proper individually screened SCART lead.
  • Options
    StoppingServiceStoppingService Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Therefore shoving metal pins into the body of a plug is just asking to short circuit two or more pins. Not a good idea.

That won't happen if the pins are pushed-in from outside the plug case to be nearly flush with their base, as they'll still be held in position by the sides of the hole which they occupy.

More likely, is that they'll make an unwanted re-emergence and the task may need repeating!

Regards
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as the offending scart leads are worth £1 then if you are going to cut pin 19 and audio pins then I'd personally cut the leads at both ends as far back as possible so they can't touch anything else and do the same at both ends (obviously it's not the same pin number at both ends) I wouldn't want loose pins or wires flaoting around unprotected as there are switching voltages on scart and a spare wire might get volts on it.

Doing this makes the lead a 'one way' lead so mark up the plugs for 'TV' or 'DVD' etc

I can't see the problem with modifying a scart lead to solve this problem although I'd agree that you might be better off bouying some slightly better double screened scart leads which are pretty low cost these days.

There's no need to be paying £15- £20 or more for a scart though.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    That won't happen if the pins are pushed-in from outside the plug case to be nearly flush with their base, as they'll still be held in position by the sides of the hole which they occupy.

More likely, is that they'll make an unwanted re-emergence and the task may need repeating!

Regards
    I would never rely on that.

The SCART pins are not exactly the thickest bits of metal on the planet and it is not difficult to bend them. Pushing the pin back into the body of the plug is just as likely to bend it as it is to push it straight back. And believe me I have tried pushing SCART pins back into the body and had them end up all over the place depending on how tight the wires are inside.

I would not take the risk frankly given that a proper fully screened lead would solve the problem at not a lot of cost.