Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor. BBC1. 23/11/2013 19:50. Official Thread

Comments

• madasalorrymadasalorry Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I watched the episode in Spain. Doctor Who has never been aired on TV here and it was only for the fact that one of the major cinemas gave in to fan pressure and aired the episode in a select few cinemas across the country.....at 1:00am this morning! The session was full so another was added last minute which is such a heart warming sign of fan support. The crowd was young but the gasps and applause when TB appeared on screen was surprising for such an age range.

Personally, I enjoyed the episode but was also left feeling that it lacked action with regards to the time war. It was obviously aimed at fans and it delivered most of what we wanted to see. Love that fact that Billie Piper was in it but would have preferred to see her as Rose. Overall good entertainment though, looking forward to the Xmas special!
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask - where was John Hurt when he was in the hut in the desert ? was that Gallifrey ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Bother, of course it was. Wrong Baker. :o

The idea of using pre taped scenes of a future Tom Baker regenerating, since we now know he will be there, might still work as a bridge to a third era though. :)

I kinda wish he had worn the outfit he wore in those aussie bt ads.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you denying that No 11 (Matt Smith) is NOT now No 12?

No, he's not. As far as 9 & 10 are concerned, Hurt is still the 'not Doctor' version of them who did terrible things and so isn't worthy to use the name. 11 is the only one who knows it's now gone differently, so Hurt is still the one they tried to forget about. 8 said it himself when he regenerated 'Doctor no more'.
    I thought this was quite simply epic. Beyond epic. I thought this far surpassed any episode of Doctor Who there has ever been. Not only was the whole idea of saving Gallifrey completely inspired but there were so many nods to the past (including Clara teaching at the same school as Barbara and Ian) and Capaldi and Baker appearing was a joy but it was funny, epic and completely fantastic. It rewrote the Doctor's history in a way that fit with canon and it was absolutely 100% worthy of being the 50th but also the best episode so far. Brilliant. Phenomenal.

My first reaction was 'this is ******* immense!' and I stand by that. I could have done with less Queen Elizabeth and less Clara but the rest was fantastic, so much going on and so many little touches in tribute to the last 50 years, and then Tom Baker. I am so glad I pre-ordered the DVD last week:):):)
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be some manipulated footage of William Hartnell. Perhaps the Doctor could glimpse him at the end of a corridor or pass him on the stairs.

I did as well, and it would have been wonderful, but Tom was pretty amazing instead.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted excellent, as someone who has criticised Moffat in the past for his writing I thought he got it just right last night, nods to the past, present and future, topped off with that wonderful cameo from Tom at the end.

I particularly liked the echoes of The Three Doctors, with Hurt's disdain at his future selves mirroring Hartnell's similar reaction to Troughton and Pertwee.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did they get William Hartnell's Doctor to say Gallifrey?
  • saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to go back and read all 50 pages in a sec, but just to say I voted Average.

It was just, well, ok. Until Capaldi turned up and I went Yay!
    When Baker turned up it was more of a WTF?

1. John Hurt was good, but McGann could have done it.
    2. McGann should have done it.
    3. Was Tom Baker being the Doctor or playing a different role?
    4. How did the timelords before John Hurt know to go to Gallifrey and pop it in the painting?

Hoping i'll find answers to those somewhere in this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

^^ This.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Impersonation.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saxy wrote: »
    I'm going to go back and read all 50 pages in a sec, but just to say I voted Average.

It was just, well, ok. Until Capaldi turned up and I went Yay!
    When Baker turned up it was more of a WTF?

1. John Hurt was good, but McGann could have done it.
    2. McGann should have done it.
    3. Was Tom Baker being the Doctor or playing a different role?
    4. How did the timelords before John Hurt know to go to Gallifrey and pop it in the painting?

Hoping i'll find answers to those somewhere in this thread.

1. He could. But worked equally well.
    2. Not as written.
    3. Yes
    4. See time-travel, Bill & Ted style.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upon reflection, I prefer The Five Doctors to The Day of the Doctor as an anniversary celebration. TDOTD was good fun, but I won't be revisiting it the way I do with The Five Doctors. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DanielF wrote: »
    1. He could. But worked equally well.
    2. Not as written.
    3. Yes
    4. See time-travel, Bill & Ted style.

Ah. Capaldi went back and taught them how to play guitar :)

Few more things...

Kate Stewart is fantastic.
    The CGI of all the doctors at the end was laughable.

6/10
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saxy wrote: »
    Ah. Capaldi went back and taught them how to play guitar :)

Few more things...

Kate Stewart is fantastic.
    The CGI of all the doctors at the end was laughable.

6/10
    Now that's an out of 10 rating I'm much more pleased to see! :)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darn....can't change my vote, can I?!

Voted 'Good' last night (no option for 'Very Good') but rewatched it without distractions like, you know, other people asking me questions :mad: ;) and loved it to pieces. Maybe my expectations were off the scale?

I now decree it (Best David Banks impression) 'Excellent.'

The Gallery scene alone has an added dimension (Ha!) after watching 'The Five-ish Doctors'. Couldn't see Pete, Col and Sylvs' shoes sticking out, though. :p
  • Romola_Des_LoupRomola_Des_Loup Posts: 3,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Ah, yes - I had in my head that Capalidi was the 13th, but until we saw Hurt there could still have been one more regeneration?

I had assumed Hurt was regenerating into Capaldi though, and assumed that would somehow tie in later to going back to the first regeneration and getting them out of the 12 regenerations thing - but have seen people saying he was regenerating into Ecclestone.

I had a quick watch again, and realise we don't really see either. I can't remember now, but what did we see in Ecclestone's first episode?
    It was explicit in the dialogue between the three doctors and Clara that Hurt's doctor was younger. If you know already that Hurt is the War Doctor and it's well established that Eccles, Tennant and Matt's Doctors are affected by their actions in the Time War, it's clear that Hurt was regenerating into Ecclestone.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I think it could have been made into a much better 30 minute episode. Just too much filler and padding. Why not use the other living doctors more?

Too complicated and not very easy to understand.
  • G926G926 Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night I did enjoy the Day Of The Doctor. But I must admit I did feel a little underwhelmed. It may have been the hype, it may have been the storyline.

But now, having just watched it a second time today, I "got it". I saw things I missed and I also could enjoy the episode more.

I now think it was excellent, the story was intricate but it now opens up a great future story arc for Peter Capaldi. The interaction between Hurt, Smith and Tennant was excellent at times.

Last night I would have given it 7/10, I now modify my assessment to 9/10.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it twice and surprisingly, I have no questions to ask about it.:D

I enjoyed it and thought it was just what the Doctor needed, to move him forward, the long way round.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Now that's an out of 10 rating I'm much more pleased to see! :)

It was originally 4.5 but Kate Stewart and Capaldis eyebrows pushed it to 6...
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First episode i've not really enjoyed. It was full of padding. The scarf girl, the whole Elizabethan stuff the whole Tardis being carried around by the helicopter. The whole barn stuff, the lack of any real action, the rubbishy timelords running about like idiots etc.

Oh well. Never been a fan of the specials.
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G926 wrote: »
    Last night I did enjoy the Day Of The Doctor. But I must admit I did feel a little underwhelmed. It may have been the hype, it may have been the storyline.

But now, having just watched it a second time today, I "got it". I saw things I missed and I also could enjoy the episode more.

I now think it was excellent, the story was intricate but it now opens up a great future story arc for Peter Capaldi. The interaction between Hurt, Smith and Tennant was excellent at times.

Last night I would have given it 7/10, I now modify my assessment to 9/10.
    7/10? Great minds think alike I suppose! :D
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I've not been a big fan of The Moff's era. But this overwhelmed me - I voted Excellent! What a brilliant way of celebrating its anniversary.
    I thought the humour, drama, action and sentimentality were blended together well (to make a perfect Souffle! :D)
    I loved the banter between Matt and David ( 'Chin' and 'Sand Shoes') Along with John Hurt it was certainly a modern take on "The Three Doctors".
    Looks like the new series may be a quest to find Gallifrey. Sounds more like good things to come!

Loved the way it started too - like a proper movie (no cheezy opening credits) I got rather peed off at the end - my PVR cut off before it finished properly!!!:mad: I'll try recording it again tonight on BBC3, see if that works better!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darn....can't change my vote, can I?!

Voted 'Good' last night (no option for 'Very Good') but rewatched it without distractions like, you know, other people asking me questions :mad: ;) and loved it to pieces. Maybe my expectations were off the scale?

I now decree it (Best David Banks impression) 'Excellent.'

The Gallery scene alone has an added dimension (Ha!) after watching 'The Five-ish Doctors'. Couldn't see Pete, Col and Sylvs' shoes sticking out, though. :p

I agree. It gets better with each re-watch.

The best holy sh*t moment, however, still Capaldi's eyes.

He could end up being my favourite Dr, just from that :eek:
  • chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots to enjoy about last nights episode, right from the very start as the policeman walked past the sign of the scrap merchants attached to the school the first actual clip shown in the original series, whether you like it or not you have to remember its supposed to be a celebration of Dr Who over the last 50 years, hence the the list of contributors at the end listed each & every doctor, its never going to please everyone all of the time but I'm sure it pleased most people at least some of the time so job done in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    Lots to enjoy about last nights episode, right from the very start as the policeman walked past the sign of the scrap merchants attached to the school the first actual clip shown in the original series, whether you like it or not you have to remember its supposed to be a celebration of Dr Who over the last 50 years, hence the the list of contributors at the end listed each & every doctor, its never going to please everyone all of the time but I'm sure it pleased most people at least some of the time so job done in my opinion.

I tend to agree.

If Moses had come down from Mt Sinai, with a 50th script written on stone tablets, some people would still rush to get their hammers and smash it to bits.