Quick update Ref EPG Update

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drabble wrote: »
    I am stuck in my ways. ;)

Speaking of progression I am still wondering why we can't defer updates until the box is not busy and manually update via the internet.

I am tired of the years of Part Rec, reason Upgrade, Power Cut and so on.

That functionality will probably come with a new generation of boxes. Sadly, I don't think they'll get round 'Power Cut' recording failures ;).
  • jammie82ukjammie82uk Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Double tapping TV Guide is hardly difficult.

To hear some of you talk, I'm surprised we ever progressed from a ZX81, move with the times.

You really love this update don't you

First You praise them for introducing a "new" feature for switching back to the last viewed channel as it's much easier being only one key press instead of two

But then ironically you contradict yourself by saying that two key presses is "hardly difficult"
  • drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That functionality will probably come with a new generation of boxes. Sadly, I don't think they'll get round 'Power Cut' recording failures ;).

I have had upgrades reported as Power Cuts before.

Power Cuts are hard to do as my boxes are connected using UPS's. ;)
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    drabble wrote: »
    I have had upgrades reported as Power Cuts before.

Power Cuts are hard to do as my boxes are connected using UPS's. ;)

Maybe a feature that automatically searches on demand and downloads a programme in its entirety if there was a problem in its initial recording such as a power cut or clash etc.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Maybe a feature that automatically searches on demand and downloads a programme in its entirety if there was a problem in its initial recording such as a power cut or clash etc.

Thats actually a very good suggestion, it might be hard to program in, but it would be very popular!
    It would only work with a connection to the internet though, which apparently some people still dont bother with!
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jammie82uk wrote: »
    You really love this update don't you

First You praise them for introducing a "new" feature for switching back to the last viewed channel as it's much easier being only one key press instead of two

But then ironically you contradict yourself by saying that two key presses is "hardly difficult"

The Blue button was already used for something else (favourites), peole asked for a seperate button at the time, so this is what they have done.

If you do not wish to use the new button, you do not have to, as they have also left it on the blue button for those that prefe it that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Thats actually a very good suggestion, it might be hard to program in, but it would be very popular!
    It would only work with a connection to the internet though, which apparently some people still dont bother with!

Or even highlight the program (especially if it is in a stack), to warn you, so you can then go off and look for it yourself.

Muskateers was only part recorded at weekend, as i recorded something off CH4 a few weeks back, and it decided to record other shows it linked with the series link, so missed the beginning. I hadn't noticed until i went to watch it, but luckily was still available On Demand, but a warning when you go in the planner might help people to grab it before it expires.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member

I have some occasionally.
    If people knew this feature was available it could drive up connectivity
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    Leave it to you and chenks to rain on people's parades and be the voice of doom. :(

It happened though. Back in the early days of Sky Digital (I think it was in 2001) they update all the Grundig boxes in one go with the software for Pace boxes instantly hosing around 20,000 boxes. Certainly not a good time to be working at Sky's call centre in Livingstone back then.

Lesson learned: Don't update all the boxes of one group at the same time. :):)
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would a useful function be when the planner picks up multiple episodes in the series link? Ie. a show that's on every day is in your planner to record for the next 7 days. Really useful for shows that are one after the other.

It can be done because the Virgin boxes do it using guide data.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Another annoying thing in the new epg is in the planner, the HD programme is highlighted as yellow.
    I would like the planner highlighting individually turned off .
    Its obvious in the planner what is in HD, by the prog title, like 'Sky F1 HD'.

The yellow text shows that the programme was actually in HD not upscalled SD. If you look in the Guide at some of the channels that show old repeats (ITV3HD, Watch HD) you will see that some programmes are in white and some in yellow. This update adds that to the Planner.
  • drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also agree it is not a bad idea.

However my problem with it is what I want is not available on demand.

Take Raw for example which is usually on Tuesday morning between 1am and 4am, (midnight-3am in recent weeks) now there is no repeat of the live broadcast nor is it available on demand, only the edited version usually is which I do not want to watch.

Anyway I do not trust what I want to watch will be on demand and in HD nor do I like using on demand as I don't like the expiry which is sometimes before I want to watch.

I schedule more and more recordings after midnight every day because of the limitations of duel tuners so it is more of a problem for me when the random nature of the update happen, might be less of a problem with planner sharing (hint). ;)

So is it really that hard to come up with a nag screen, say:

New update available.
    Press select to update now or backup to cancel.
    Updating will interrupt any planned recordings for the next 15 minutes.
    This update will be automatically installed in 7 days.

Once a day with a 15-20 second banner timeout until installed, with an option to update on the Options tab.
  • Robin ArmitageRobin Armitage Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Another annoying thing in the new epg is in the planner, the HD programme is highlighted as yellow.
    I would like the planner highlighting individually turned off .
    Its obvious in the planner what is in HD, by the prog title, like 'Sky F1 HD'.

I prefer the flat look, iOS7/W8 influence, but the yellow on the darker blue is not so nice.

Also, in the planner, we now have a small blank second column. Do not remember that before.

To bloody right. I record only HD so now my planner is completely yellow >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To bloody right. I record only HD so now my planner is completely yellow >:(

You can turn it off, so it is only in white, as I presume you know where you are recording from anyway, so will know if something is in HD on the guide.
  • Robin ArmitageRobin Armitage Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    You can turn it off, so it is only in white, as I presume you know where you are recording from anyway, so will know if something is in HD on the guide.

EXACTLY.. so why do SKY think we are too stupid to remember what weve recorded that they have to remind us again by turning it yellow. :confused:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There was a thread about what people would like to see in a perfect world and I suggested something similar but going futher which was to series link from On Demand. I doubt it would happen because of the loss of ad revenue.
  • jammie82ukjammie82uk Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    The Blue button was already used for something else (favourites), peole asked for a seperate button at the time, so this is what they have done.

If you do not wish to use the new button, you do not have to, as they have also left it on the blue button for those that prefe it that way.

That wasn't even my point
    Did you actually read my post at all?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There was a thread about what people would like to see in a perfect world and I suggested something similar but going futher which was to series link from On Demand. I doubt it would happen because of the loss of ad revenue.

Well if the commercial channels are so worried they could add ads to the on demand content, Im sure it is that hard to do? in fact some do already!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't there be a lot of contractual disputes with that though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jammie82uk wrote: »
    That wasn't even my point
    Did you actually read my post at all?

Yes, did you not read mine, or do you not understand?

2 presses isn't difficult, and those wishing to press blue then select still can, but as blue was already used for favourites, they have added the ability by pressing a button NOT used for something else, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    EXACTLY.. so why do SKY think we are too stupid to remember what weve recorded that they have to remind us again by turning it yellow. :confused:

Agree.
    I've turned the HD yellow off now, as its so annoying in the planner and I really made no use of it in the tv guide if I'm honest.

Not sure on the box I will really make use of the Homepage, so I'm using Play button as I did before, then the Red and Yellow for OnDemand and TVGuide.
    Just must remember not to use the backup when in the guide to avoid ending up in the homepage..
    Suppose we are all different in the way we use the guide.
    I do not need/use Movies, Sky Store, Showcase (Best of On Demand) or possibly look at New Series.
    I use the sky+ app a lot and that covers all my searching and recording selections, not on the box.
    But nice to see it mirroring and the choice for those who may want it.

Showcase (Best of on Demand) offers very little these days and has that Hunger Games movie in there for ages.
    Suspect some must make use of it, to keep it active.
  • hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree.
    I've turned the HD yellow off now, as its so annoying in the planner and I really made no use of it in the tv guide if I'm honest.

Hi

How do u turn it off? Ive not go the new EPG yet but it will save me asking at a later date lol.

Thanks

Baz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hi

How do u turn it off? Ive not go the new EPG yet but it will save me asking at a later date lol.

Thanks

Baz

Settings button on remote, then select Options, Customise and turn off 'Highlight Programmes Originated in HD'
  • hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Settings button on remote, then select Options, Customise and turn off 'Highlight Programmes Originated in HD'

Hi

Ok, the same way it could always be turned off.

Thanks

Baz
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree.

Not sure on the box I will really make use of the Homepage, so I'm using Play button as I did before, then the Red and Yellow for OnDemand and TVGuide.
    Just must remember not to use the backup when in the guide to avoid ending up in the homepage..
    Suppose we are all different in the way we use the guide.
    I do not need/use Movies, Sky Store, Showcase (Best of On Demand) or possibly look at New Series.
    I use the sky+ app a lot and that covers all my searching and recording selections, not on the box.
    But nice to see it mirroring and the choice for those who may want it.

Showcase (Best of on Demand) offers very little these days and has that Hunger Games movie in there for ages.
    Suspect some must make use of it, to keep it active.

If you dislike the home page so much why dont you do a forced update and roll back to what you had before.
    I know eventually you will get this new version back, but that seems like the best option for you for now!

I on the other hand would be making use of these updates and the yellow in the planner wouldnt bother me!
    People like me and DanSky+HD would have been better candidates for the early update!