Are these 'blacked up' footballers being racially offensive?.

Comments

• U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couple of videos of locals taking offence and confronting the 'Blackfaces'
    Scroll down page for the second video.
    Beware contains VERY offensive language!

http://stirling.tab.co.uk/2015/02/06/watch-the-blackface-footballers-angrily-confront-locals-outside-cape/
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »

http://stirling.tab.co.uk/2015/02/06/watch-the-blackface-footballers-angrily-confront-locals-outside-cape/

Difficult to tell but it looks to me it's the usual getting offended on behalf of someone else.

Lot of that around, usual small minded misguided student lefties etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy who took the videos actually come over as a bit of a pussy.Hurling foul language and abuse at the footballers,yet expecting them not to react.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    Difficult to tell but it looks to me it's the usual getting offended on behalf of someone else.

Lot of that around, usual small minded misguided student lefties etc.

True.They are the 'shout the loudest' minority.I'd have laughed if he'd been lifted for a breach of the peace.In fact,hopefully this Police will see his videos and prosecute him.
    We can't have people deliberately baiting members of the public,simply out to enjoy themselves.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not like it's 'The Black and White Minstrel Show' or 'Uncle Toms Cabin'.We've moved on a bit since those days.I would have thought that black folk would've been a bit more enlightened about racial issues in the UK these days.

Maybe it's the "white folk" that need to be a bit more enlightened?
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it's the "white folk" that need to be a bit more enlightened?

Well are people offended about this or is it another case of others getting offended on their behalf ?
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PC brigade desperate to be offended. The guy taking the video is an embarrassment.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Their offence means what exactly? That they are granted special privileges over the rest of society?

Ahh! The old chip on their shoulder defence. They should shut up and not complain.

Are you unwilling to answer my question directly? And I mean an answer that doesn't come in the form of a number of questions.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

That stupid Student Grant filming and hurling "C**t" around didn't hang about when the guy ran towards him did he? Ran off like a little bitch. :D
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    Ahh! The old chip on their shoulder defence. They should shut up and not complain.

Are you unwilling to answer my question directly? And I mean an answer that doesn't come in the form of a number of questions.

Stephen Fry summed it up rather well:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Especially when you consider that all offence is, is that little swell of indignant anger inside you that causes your face to turn red and hot because you've seen, heard or read something that doesn't align with your view of the world.

So get over it I say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a knee-jerk reaction to people 'blacking-up' these days. It is not being done through malice but as fancy dress and WANTING to look black.

As what happened with this young football fan who wanted to look like is footballing 'hero' - not a hint of malice there but proud and wnating to celebrate the guy...but it was deemed racist by some.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256190/El-Hadji-Diouf-Father-apologises-son-engulfed-Twitter-race-storm-blacking-face-resemble-player.html

What could be better for race relations than wanting to be like each other?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    There is a knee-jerk reaction to people 'blacking-up' these days. It is not being done through malice but as fancy dress and WANTING to look black.

As what happened with this young football fan who wanted to look like is footballing 'hero' - not a hint of malice there but proud and wnating to celebrate the guy...but it was deemed racist by some.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256190/El-Hadji-Diouf-Father-apologises-son-engulfed-Twitter-race-storm-blacking-face-resemble-player.html

What could be better for race relations than wanting to be like each other?

That is so pathetic that people would be offended by a 10yr old boy wanting to dress up like his hero, especially when is having a photo taken with him! It was probably some eternally offended moron off DS who complained.
    Forum Member

so that's a no then :D

Edit; I personally find mealy mouthed anti PC types who won't answer straight forward questions offensive - just spit it man, for gods sake, it's not like you care if anyone is offended :D:D
    Forum Member

It's almost as if the poor dear Fry never get's offended -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8335793.stm
    "Think I may have to give up on Twitter. Too much aggression and unkindness around,"
    "You've convinced me. I'm obviously not good enough. I retire from Twitter henceforward. Bye everyone."
    Very low and depressed at the moment and any drop of meanness makes it so much worse

Ohhhh, your going to leave twitter are you Stephen, offended are you, only you Stephen Fry, are allowed to get offended - every one else can f... o.. can they :(:(

What a hypocrite.
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    I think you're trying too hard to conjure up an extreme situation that's highly unlikely ever to happen.

All right then - just for you.

Muslims against crusades burning poppies at remembrance day services.

Do you blame WW2 veterens for being offended or Muslims against crusades for their callous act?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All right then - just for you.

Muslims against crusades burning poppies at remembrance day services.

Do you blame WW2 veterens for being offended or Muslims against crusades for their callous act?

What does this have to do with fancy dress?
    Forum Member
    What does this have to do with fancy dress?

It is about offence.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is about offence.

No, it's about power.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it Neither Racist or Offensive, But some will.:)
    Forum Member
    No, it's about power.

It's about subjugation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is about offence.

Yes and something's are more offensive than others. Your point?
    Forum Member
    Yes and something's are more offensive than others. Your point?

The anti PC obsessives don't appear to agree with you.
    These permanently offended people shouldn't be given any attention or pandered to in any way.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More people are pointing out that it isn't racist and is a disgrace that its branded racist and its pc gone mad blag blah than are saying it is offensive

Says it all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The anti PC obsessives don't appear to agree with you.

I am anti PC, but know that somethings are more offensive than others. Dressing up as a footballer is way down the list.