Options

The All Purpose Rugby Union Thread (P2)

Comments

• Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Scotland: Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors), Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby), Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester, CAPT); Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Geoff Cross (London Irish), Richie Gray (Castres), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan (London Irish) Johnnie Beattie (Castres).

Replacements: Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors), Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors), Jim Hamilton (Saracens), Alasdair Strokosch (USA Perpignan), Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby), Greig Tonks (Edinburgh Rugby), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby).
  • Options
    Michael_VaughanMichael_Vaughan Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Predictions for Round 2

England 41-13 Italy
    Ireland 24-16 France
    Scotland 11-19 Wales
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Predictions for Round 2

England 41-13 Italy
    Ireland 24-16 France
    Scotland 11-19 Wales

Not sure England will be that rampant, Ireland, arguably the form team coming in struggled to put Italy away, and I don't think Twickenham bothers the Italians like it does some other teams so I'd be surprised if we get above 32 points... I'd prefer no tries conceded... but no doubt there'll be some daft interception as we try and get expansive and waste.

Ireland should be stronger this weekend with their 3 best players coming back (I realise that makes my previous paragraph slightly silly)... France looked all over the place and tend to travel about as well as guinness.

Will Scotland shake off the "plucky losers"? Wales didn't look great, interested to see if Gatland and Howley come up with anything different to Roberts/North/Cuthbert into the 10 channel.

I'll go:

England 32 - 6 Italy
    Ireland 28 - 13 France
    Scotland 16 - 13 Wales
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »

Will Scotland shake off the "plucky losers"? Wales didn't look great, interested to see if Gatland and Howley come up with anything different to Roberts/North/Cuthbert into the 10 channel.

People persist on mentioning that but it wasn't really the reason for the defeat to England.Our neighbours just kept possession very well and bossed us in the scrum and the breakdown. Plus our lineout had one of its frequent bi-polar days.I can only recall Roberts running at the channel of Ford once all game, something he should've been doing for most of the 80mins.

Believe it or not, there were signs of us varying the style slightly in the last Autumn international against the Boks.Where we beat them for only the second time in Rugby history.We kept the ball superbly that day but England did the same to us last week and possession generally wins you Rugby matches.The exception being the All Blacks whoe seem able to generate points no matter if they aren't keeping the ball.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People persist on mentioning that but it wasn't really the reason for the defeat to England.Our neighbours just kept possession very well and bossed us in the scrum and the breakdown. Plus our lineout had one of its frequent bi-polar days.I can only recall Roberts running at the channel of Ford once all game, something he should've been doing for most of the 80mins.

Run at Ford all day long... nothing doing there, same as Farrell... you don't have one of the toughest men to play rugby league as your dad and not learn to tackle big fast lumps.

So much for England's defence...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Run at Ford all day long... nothing doing there, same as Farrell... you don't have one of the toughest men to play rugby league as your dad and not learn to tackle big fast lumps.

So much for England's defence...

The point I was making that would he have coped had those bigger men ran at him all game.Not to mention the space it could've created if the centres had to cover for him.

I think Farrell was battered in the last game between Wales and England at the Millennium Stadium.No amount of your father playing Rugby League is going to protect you and there's a different technique in the tackle between both rugby codes.

What a battle developing at Twickenham.The long stoppage might help England compose themselves but what a start for Italy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England look to have broken Italy with a second try.In a more high profile game, the TMO award of the 1st England try would be very controversial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England look to have broken Italy with a second try.In a more high profile game, the TMO award of the 1st England try would be very controversial.

Agree, I was surprised it was given but another "law of the game" thing falling in favour of one team.

The Italian 10 was having the game of his life, but he'll tire.

If England had any other wingers May should be dropped for that butchered chance, shocking decision making and just highlights the difference between NZ and the rest of us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superb try from Italy but there ten is wasting his kicks

18-10 to England, 52mins
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two questions.

1) Who is the person who first decided that it would be a good idea to play music after every score in a game rugby?

2) In which city is their gibbeted body on display?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England look very good,down to Ireland to make the tournament a contest this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England look very good,down to Ireland to make the tournament a contest this year.

Hard to say, having the blues at home "should" make France easier, but Ford's kicking was off today... if we get Parling, Lawes and Corbs back fit that could be a difference maker.

Really keen to see how Ireland go today with JS back, hope his head is okay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England's defence has regressed a bit since last week.Do wish Wales had kicked behind them in attack a bit more.

Good game to watch though,although I expect the Ireland v France game to go up a level of intensity.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Well England now seem to have firmly found a centre partnership and scrum half. Their two weaknesses from the Autumn. Omnious!!

Meh, they had a penalty advantage would probably have just scrummed it over
    Agree, I was surprised it was given but another "law of the game" thing falling in favour of one team.

The Italian 10 was having the game of his life, but he'll tire.

If England had any other wingers May should be dropped for that butchered chance, shocking decision making and just highlights the difference between NZ and the rest of us.
    I honestly think Jonny May is the most underrated player in the competition. I think he's very good, incredibly lively and a real handful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Michael_Vaughan;76961968]England's defence has regressed a bit since last week.Do wish Wales had kicked behind them in attack a bit more.

Good game to watch though,although I expect the Ireland v France game to go up a level of intensity.[/QUOTE]

They're obviously going to switch off a bit in a game they're going to walk away with anyway

You can't judge anything on a glorified training session. England in second gear all game, very understandable, madness to peak in a game like this
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Well England now seem to have firmly found a centre partnership and scrum half. Their two weaknesses from the Autumn. Omnious!!

Meh, they had a penalty advantage would probably have just scrummed it over

I honestly think Jonny May is the most underrated player in the competition. I think he's very good, incredibly lively and a real handful

I guess you are regretting that now after his missed tackle at the end of the game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »
    I guess you are regretting that now after his missed tackle at the end of the game.

Yeah I am, considering I typed it afterwards...!!

A missed tackle with the game completely over as a contest is not going to change my mind

What about the try he created about ten mins before
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Nor sure I would describe that as a missed tackle, given the pass that gave the centre enough space.

England struggled with the basics at times, given their success last week with the maul, they were very ineffective with it today.
    Good to see brown on his feet in the second half.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    Two questions.

1) Who is the person who first decided that it would be a good idea to play music after every score in a game rugby?

2) In which city is their gibbeted body on display?

All I know is that is is damn annoying, added to that it sounds rather childish.

Not sure whether the Italians had music when they scored their try?? If they did, I missed it, so it can't be half as bad as the England ditty!!

I have no clue to the answer to yor second question!!
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ireland not quite having the return of points for territory and possession. Hard to see them being beaten at home this season.
    Who are this French team? Normally the backs would instinctively make the right passes but they seem to have the flair coached out of them.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The French No.4 was lucky to escape red there. A deliberate knee into the back is not much different to a punch to the face.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew!! That was really hard work....credit to the French for making a real battle of it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Ireland not quite having the return of points for territory and possession. Hard to see them being beaten at home this season.
    Who are this French team? Normally the backs would instinctively make the right passes but they seem to have the flair coached out of them.

They'll be beaten at home in their next match..
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great defensive display, some chances Ireland should have taken but overall I'm happy enough.

Bring on England ^_^