Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Yes, NB has cancelled that interview.
    I think this is another mistake. Could of tried to make up for what happened this morning.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is another mistake. Could of tried to make up for what happened this morning.

She could be doing the sensible thing and having an early night.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redunited wrote: »
    I see sky news using lbc clips.

For once the great paymaster finds worthy use of an LBC talking head - Kudos to Ferrari .

Jimbo- listen and learn on how to conduct a political interview : no elevation of voice required to make a point , no making an arse of yourself required - just gentle , calm annihilation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if we're drifting into political territory here but this is all about how it kicked off on LBC.

Watch bonkers Jenny Jones add her bit to the fiasco:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/green-campaign-launch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrRayDO wrote: »
    point is that LBC is not just a LONDON station anymore and where i live you can still buy a house for 60,000

London too

Harrods toy dept - in the style of Qatar chic ;-)
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    For once the great paymaster finds worthy use of an LBC talking head - Kudos to Ferrari .

Jimbo- listen and learn on how to conduct a political interview : no elevation of voice required to make a point , no making an arse of yourself required - just gentle , calm annihilation.

:D:D:D

Well said.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrRayDO wrote: »
    point is that LBC is not just a LONDON station anymore and where i live you can still buy a house for 60,000

Yes, to buy one, not build one - it's the cost of building affordable housing that the interview centred on. If it costs £54,000 or £60,000 to build a house, it's going to cost more than that to buy it: 1) to cover the inital cost price of building the house in the first place, 2) to break-even, and 3) for the (local) government to make a profit to plough back into the economy - but it probably will end up in private coffers tbh.

ETA: the whole scheme is to fund affordable rental market anyway which isn't a bad idea; it's just a shame the leader hasn't got a terribly good head for figures...
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    She could be doing the sensible thing and having an early night.

Or considering the even more sensible thing: standing down as leader of the party?

I have no doubt that she looked rough on TV later but very much doubt it was anything to do with a "huge cold". She sounded absolutely fine, and only introduced the weak cough and pathetic excuse as she drowned in her own sea of incompetence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Or considering the even more sensible thing: standing down as leader of the party?

I have no doubt that she looked rough on TV later but very much doubt it was anything to do with a "huge cold". She sounded absolutely fine, and only introduced the weak cough and pathetic excuse as she drowned in her own sea of incompetence.

*cough, cough (save me!), cough, cough (this is a nightmare), cough, cough (what was that he was asking?), cough, cough (I hated maths at school), cough, cough (oh, my poor head! sniff)*
  • Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Yes, to buy one, not build one - it's the cost of building affordable housing that the interview centred on. If it costs £54,000 or £60,000 to build a house, it's going to cost more than that to buy it: 1) to cover the inital cost price of building the house in the first place, 2) to break-even, and 3) for the (local) government to make a profit to plough back into the economy - but it probably will end up in private coffers tbh.

ETA: the whole scheme is to fund affordable rental market anyway which isn't a bad idea; it's just a shame the leader hasn't got a terribly good head for figures...

I thought the proposals were about social (i.e. council), not 'affordable' housing, so the calculations would be quite different, wouldn't they? It would certainly be hard to tell from the interview!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh God now we've got the Baroness (for what? Who knows) on defending her. She thinks Nats is fantastic but she's been really really ill ok? And she's doing a GREAT JOB!

Do me a favour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Natalie back at Green HQ after "that interview"

http://youtu.be/YgYZd59LJyQ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the proposals were about social (i.e. council), not 'affordable' housing, so the calculations would be quite different.

Yes, you're right, it is about social rental homes that are affordable, but you still need to build the actual home which she said would cost £60K in total. That amount would be swallowed up in building materials alone (if you are not using bricks), let alone labour costs etc. If the start-up figures quoted aren't correct, how can we know that the rents will be at the very least competitive in a market where private landlords are coining it in (which is the whole premise of the Green proposal)? If the figures are not properly costed, local government will be renting those houses at prices way beyond what is reasonable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you're right, it is about social rental homes that are affordable, but you still need to build the actual home which she said would cost £60K in total. That amount would be swallowed up in building materials alone (if you are not using bricks), let alone labour costs etc. If the start-up figures quoted aren't correct, how can we know that the rents will be competitive in a market where private landlords are coining it in (which is the whole premise of the Green proposal)?
    It's all conjecture, of course, but wouldn't the building therefore be subsidised?
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    It's all conjecture, of course, but wouldn't the building therefore be subsidised?

And who buys the land?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe. But then the whole outlay for this project per house is going to cost more than £60,000 per house if part of it is going to be government/taxpayer-subsidised. That's the problem with this interview: we couldn't get to the nitty-gritty details of the plan/proposal because Natalie didn't have a proper grasp the figures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    And who buys the land?
    My understanding is that most (if not all) of the land would already be government-owned.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a strange discussion, to say the least. Firstly, as she had that 'huge cold' perhaps it would have been better to postpone the interview. I should think it was always going to be a given that NF would be challenging, although if she knew what she was going to be challenged on, she certainly should have been better prepared. I did find this aspect very surprising and, as has been said before, NF is like a dog with a bone once he discovers a weakness. I was also a little perturbed back when the leadership changed as I've always thought Caroline Lucas very much on top of her game and would have stood up to NF far, far better. This interview will go badly for the Greens, I should think.
    I've yet to hear this 'disastrous' interview, but I've never rated NB. She's not the most articulate or comfortable of interviewees whenever I've heard her. I could never understand out of all the choices they had the Greens chose Natalie to lead them after Caroline Lucas stepped down. Although it appeared that NB had done a lot of good work in popularsing the Green vote it now seems that this was more of a lucky break than anything she really had to say. Any good work by her will have been completely undone and she will inevitably have to depart unless she can redeem herself at the tv debates. And that's not looking good now..
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    My understanding is that most (if not all) of the land would already be government-owned.

So, tell me how much of the land is government owned that could be built on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Oh God now we've got the Baroness (for what? Who knows) on defending her. She thinks Nats is fantastic but she's been really really ill ok? And she's doing a GREAT JOB!

Do me a favour.

Yes good question - for what -

Barren of feasible policies perhaps .
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bennett has done the right thing in ducking out of tonight's phone-in with 'Robust' Duncan Barkes.

She's clearly ill prepared for questioning about certain Green policies & their costings, so she needs to go away & learn her lines, so to speak.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

Nick F kept pressing Natalie Bennett on the cost of land before building, she was totally nonplussed by this question as though this had never entered her head let alone equations!! Best left to 'Mother Earth' I venture, she'd be better off negotiating for plots of land to erect glorious teepees, wigwams and mud huts instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do other radio and TV stations pay LBC for the use of sounds clips, because the Ferrari/Bennet interview has been on all the major outlets? The online papers are also carrying it. A nice little earner if they do.
  • Options
    puddytatpuddytat Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    Thoroughly sick of that 'penguins in my room' ad and the burglar/phoney gas man one as well. You can hear them so often that it turns you off the product.
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bennett has done the right thing in ducking out of tonight's phone-in with 'Robust' Duncan Barkes.

She's clearly ill prepared for questioning about certain Green policies & their costings, so she needs to go away & learn her lines, so to speak.

He might have given her an easy ride as she's female. I've often heard him say how he adores women and "the female form". ;-)
This discussion has been closed.