Bens Sexuality EE

Comments

• curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    No, I think you're way off. I think recent thngs such as trying to come on to Johnny, going to kiss Jay and now confessing his true feelings for Abi - I think we're well on the path to Ben accepting who he is, rather than trying to hide it.

The idea that he will turn straight because the show "doesn't need" another gay character is silly.

I really like this new Ben. I think when Kathy comes back the 'angel vs devil' thing will return with Kathy pulling him one way and Phil the other.

Exactly the way I see it, he used Abi to get into his Dads good books, yes he likes her but more as a friend/sister relationship, he is definetly gay.
  • craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ozboz3 wrote: »
    The thing with this storyline is that realistically it could be quite long term but I wonder how long it'll be before Ben finds his true sexuality- which I think is gay.

There's definitely potential for this storyline to run and run. It would be nice to them develop both Ben and Abi and show them as being in a very complex, co-dependent relationship, until that is, the right man comes along for each of them.

Though I think what we'll be looking at is Abi being the driving force of them sticking together and her being shocked and hurt when Ben finally gives in and breaks it off to be with a guy.
  • Kevin_McGrathKevin_McGrath Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One factor in this is that, in the same was as has been surmised for Dean during his prison time, Ben could well have had some pretty unpleasant sexual experiences while he was in prison, perhaps both times. They could have have had him feeling even more confused about his feelings about sex.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    One factor in this is that, in the same was as has been surmised for Dean during his prison time, Ben could well have had some pretty unpleasant sexual experiences while he was in prison, perhaps both times. They could have have had him feeling even more confused about his feelings about sex.
    When he came out of Prison the first time it was implied in a conversation with Shirley that Ben had been attacked in prison and I suspect that may be where they heading through I cant see him confessing to Abi but only Sharon or Kathy when she returns.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like Ben to grow up and live his life
  • Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting that what happened during his time in prison hasn't been covered really. A friend of mine is training to be a police officer and he said that someone told him that there's more sexual acts in prisons then you would imagine. It's possible Ben might have experienced something I think.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ozboz3 wrote: »
    It's interesting that what happened during his time in prison hasn't been covered really. A friend of mine is training to be a police officer and he said that someone told him that there's more sexual acts in prisons then you would imagine. It's possible Ben might have experienced something I think.

When Ben was released back when he was jailed for attacking Lucas's son, he remarked "you don't know what happened to me in there". He said it in such a scared and terrified way. To me, that was a slight hint he had been abused in prison.
  • Casper GomezCasper Gomez Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dtc only brought back Ben so he could tackle another gay storyline, without having to bring any one new in. Yawn.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The massive double standard that straight characters can turn gay, but gay characters can't turn straight, rearing its head again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think it would be very good if they handled the issue of abuse in prison!
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dtc only brought back Ben so he could tackle another gay storyline, without having to bring any one new in. Yawn.

How insanely short sighted. This is clearly a story of a young man struggling with trying to suppress himself because he thinks he's not normal. It's more than a "gay storyline". It's building on a foundation set for years with Bens character.

It's so irritating when people start judging everything on face value. Just because everything isn't spoonfed to you.
  • blue_angelblue_angel Posts: 3,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    Abi didn't say, "no you're straight", in fact she just said that it was okay. I think she fully understood what he was saying but for her, right now, it didn't matter. It's a relationship that is convenient for both of them and until they both sort their shit out, it makes sense that these two friends put up the pretence of a happy couple.

Obviously it's going to massively blow up in Abi's face and she's going to fall for the man Ben is going to pretend to be.

Instead, I'd love to see the two stay together long term. Marry, even have kids and keep up this illusion, Ben can have his men on the side and undoubtedly there will be time when Abi will stray too but to the outside world they're this wonderfully happy couple. If they up the anti on the Ben/Jay new age Mitchell brothers arc, Abi can become the Bonnie to Ben's Clyde (meaning we get more Dark Abi!!!) which would all end in tears in about 10-15 years when Abi and Jay inevitably have a fling marking Sharongate II.

I'm loving the 15 year long term story plan! That really is thinking ahead!

I actually agree with what you said, about Abi's point of view. I think in the past she has been naïve in some circumstances, but she seems to have developed her cynical side in the last year or so. I think she's understanding what Ben is saying, but the thing between them is mutually beneficial. They love each other, but not 'like that'. They've known each other for years and there's a sort of comfort in the pretence that is their relationship. Whether Abi grows to love Ben in a different way, remains to be seen.
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a bisexual character in EE or any soap, in fact I'd welcome it. I also think that Danny who was involved with Syed, Janine, Lucy and Jonny probably was but as you say he was shortlived.

I just don't think Ben is the right character to do it with given his history as we've seen it. He didn't show any sexual feelings for girls at all when growing up, he seems to be forcing it for whatever reason.

I agree, any sort of sexual relationship with a girl has been like he's forcing himself, reactionary or a pretence. I don't think they're going down the bisexual road with the character of Ben, nor should they based on what we know about the character and his history.
  • iveivaniveivan Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The massive double standard that straight characters can turn gay, but gay characters can't turn straight, rearing its head again

People don't generally change sexuality. A character who has been happily straight and turns gay is bad writing and sensationalism. What's realistic is people coming out as gay after pretending to be straight.

You don't get people in denial about being straight. People don't pretend to be gay in order to gain acceptance from religion/friends/workplace/family.

But people do pretend to be straight and can be in denial about being gay. That leads to people coming out as gay when they accept it.

When have you ever heard of anyone coming of as straight?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that's a really small minded judgement to make. There's hardly been any "gay storylines" and the 2 that we had were both different. Not everyone has the same experience in realising their true sexuality because for some it's really hard and they spend a lot of time struggling with their emotions! Ben is obviously one of them and I think this is a good story if handled correctly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The term "bisexual" does imply the possibility of somebody who has been leading a lifestyle that is gay opting to switch to a straight lifestyle, as well as for the reverse. Depending on who they fall for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term "bisexual" does imply the possibility of somebody who has been leading a lifestyle that is gay opting to switch to a straight lifestyle, as well as for the reverse. Depending on who they fall for.

Except Ben has never shown an interest in women except for this farce with Abi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iveivan wrote: »
    Except Ben has never shown an interest in women except for this farce with Abi.

Well for most of the relevant time he's been banged up in prison, and his opportunities have been limited. Lola would have been rather an intimidating young lady, not at all surprising his session with her, though effective enough in terms of pregnancy, was evidently not too enjoyable for either. Abi is pretty intimidating too, but in a rather different way.

Maybe they'll find they both enjoy the same musicals, and going dancing... Max could show him a few steps.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I think this is a really interesting, slightly twisted, route to go down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask if there is anyone on here who is gay or bisexual who thinks it's realistic that Ben could be turning straight?
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iveivan wrote: »
    Can I ask if there is anyone on here who is gay or bisexual who thinks it's realistic that Ben could be turning straight?

You can't simply turn straight. But you could choose to live your life as a hetrosexual, repressing your feelings and desires for the same sex which is something that has been going on for centuries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    You can't simply turn straight. But you could choose to live your life as a hetrosexual, repressing your feelings and desires for the same sex which is something that has been going on for centuries.

Yes, I agree
  • wwinterjwwinterj Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    As a gay friend once said to me about sleeping with a girl, yes he had, nearly everybody has tried it once just to 'make sure' - it doesn't make them bi sexual.

So folk sleep with people that don't find attractive? Pull the other one!(no pun).
    If you've been with both sexs you're bisexual to me and that's what ben is. I can claim I'm heterosexual because I've only been with girls and only find girls attractive. Should I sleep with a guy who I don't find attractive "just to be sure"? Of course not. Point is ben(and even your friend) must have found woman to be attractive to even think about having sex with them but hey if people want to give themselves another label that's up to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwinterj wrote: »
    So folk sleep with people that don't find attractive? Pull the other one!(no pun).
    If you've been with both sexs you're bisexual to me and that's what ben is. I can claim I'm heterosexual because I've only been with girls and only find girls attractive. Should I sleep with a guy who I don't find attractive "just to be sure"? Of course not. Point is ben(and even your friend) must have found woman to be attractive to even think about having sex with them but hey if people want to give themselves another label that's up to them.

That's not the case. Many gay guys have been with girls because it's what's expected of them. When you are young, you get aroused easily and so could even perform adequately even if not really into it.

He wants to convince himself he likes girls and so he slept with Lola. Lola said he was definitely gay after that experience.

Not sure he's having sex with Abi but he wants people to think he's into her.
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwinterj wrote: »

A lot of people sleep with people they don't find sexually attractive. In Ben's case, it is him trying to convince himself he is straight.

Where did you get the idea this didn't happen? Think of all those husbands and wives who have fallen out of love with each other etc. Sex isn't always a lovely thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    One word for Abi... D***h**d!

The man is telling her that he's gay and she's there desperately clinging on, forcing him into something that he wants to get out of. It's going to end in rainbow, sparkly tears. Just as it should... Now he needs get himself to G-A-Y and go and find a bloke.

A shame Jonny didn't stay, they would have made a lovely couple.

I don't think he's confused, he knows it but has to put on the pretence because he's already lied to Abi about it. And Jay almost exposed it for what it was but petty people play the jealousy card. Abi... D***h**d who doesn't want to accept the truth. Kmft.