Options

What to get dad's girlfriend for Christmas.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
Forum Member
I'm spending with Christmas with my dad and his girlfriend has recently moved in with him so she'll be there too. I'm certain she'll have got me a present and she is desperate for me to like her so it'll probably be big and/or expensive and extravagant. I just want to get her something small, but not too small that it looks rude, so I don't feel awkward when she gives me something. I've asked my dad what I should get her and he said he didn't know- "normal women things" :rolleyes: he has suggested perfume, but that's too personal.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She's 27 and doesn't have any hobbies or interests that I know of.

Comments

• Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit: totally misread OP!
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a nice necklace and/or some earrings?
  • Options
    Charlie_the_catCharlie_the_cat Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to get her something small, but not too small that it looks rude. I've asked my dad what I should get her and he said he didn't know- "normal women things"
    He must be struggling to keep up with a 27 year old. A medium-sized vibrator seems to fit the bill all round.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally understand why you don't want to opt for perfume, most people see it as a perfect 'medium' present, but scents are such a personal thing... do they prefer floral tones or fruitier ones? Woody scents or lighter ones? It's impossible to choose one without asking a person first really.

What about one of those incredibly pretty compact mirrors, you can get some beautiful ones from most jewellers for around £20 or £30. Another idea, they are doing gorgeous bejewelled eyelash curler set things in Next... in fact, they do an awful lot of pretty, inexpensive beauty things in there. Might be worth a look? Food baskets are due for a comeback, fill one up with some pretty cupcakes, gingerbread or whatever sweet thing she likes? Only other thing I can really think of to suggest is gift vouchers...
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rampant rabbit...:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Body Shop stuff and chocs.. that what I buy people.
  • Options
    cymrugirlcymrugirl Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ELF 100 piece eye shadow palette. £15
    http://www.eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~195.htm

Even if she doesn't wear makeup, it'll come in handy if she needs to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NIce necklace?
  • Options
    LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she's just recently moved in with your dad, how about some bits and pieces she can put around the place to make it feel like home? Some nice photo frames, a jewellery tree or an atomiser so she can decant her favourite perfume into it?
  • Options
    fonzerellifonzerelli Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make up a foodie hamper. With nice biscuits and sweets - truckles of cheese and oatcakes, jams, tea or coffee, truffles, oil oils and vinegars. and a bottle of wine. Chuck it into a nice but cheap basket and tie on a bow.

I just made two fantastic ones for around £20 each. Looks fab and like you've made the effort (without really trying) x
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NIce necklace?

Pearl? It would be what I would be thinking about if my dad had a 27 year old girlfriend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    smellies- perfume or something. ask your dad what she has and go into boots or somewhere and get advice. (although there are cheaper places on the highstreet if you live in quite a large town)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boots have some nice stuff that isn't too expensive that would be the right kind of thing for this present
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Lingerie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    cd's, dvd's, books/s
    depends how well you know her tastes of course.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just want to get her something small, but not too small that it looks rude, so I don't feel awkward when she gives me something. I've asked my dad what I should get her and he said he didn't know- "normal women things"
    He must be struggling to keep up with a 27 year old. A medium-sized vibrator seems to fit the bill all round.

Lol ! :D:D
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't go wrong with Moulton Brown toiletries. Monsoon have some lovely gifty things in, very reasonable prices too.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong with Moulton Brown toiletries.

Was going to suggest this myself!
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jewellery. In the history of the world no woman has ever been upset when given jewellery and the cost can be whatever you chose to spend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone who gave helpful suggestions. I think I'm going to go with a nice toiletry gift set or a make up gift set.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and a DVD of Stepbrothers - she is sure to like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone who gave helpful suggestions.
    I'm guessing that doesn't include the ****holes with the vibrator suggestions?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't buy smellies or make up! They are so personal IMO, unless you can ask your dad what she uses.

I buy my mum three mascaras and three foundations as stocking filers each year as I know exactly the ones she uses, but if I bought her a make up pallette or random smellies, I know she wouldn't use them - definitely not the make up anyway.

If your dad's GF has bought you something extravagant, her tastes are probably such as well - unless you're forking out for Chanel or YSL and you know the products she uses, you might end up buying her something she'll put in a drawer :(

By OH's son (who is 11 years younger than me) bought me a bottle of vodka and an optic one year, I don't actually drink vodka but it was a lovely thought :D Last Christmas he got me a bonsai tree - loved it, a clock for the garden and a hamper.

This year he's bought me one of my favourite candles for my birthday, that was great, I raved so much about it I hope he'll get me another for Christmas :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stickler wrote: »
    By OH's son (who is 11 years younger than me) bought me a bottle of vodka and an optic one year, I don't actually drink vodka but it was a lovely thought
    Eh? Sounds like a rubbish thought to me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? Sounds like a rubbish thought to me!

Awww, I made Skittles vodka with it, it was a fun pressie! But just shows it's good to know what people want/like/use rather than just spending money for the sake of it.

If OP buys Boots smellies, they may well get shoved in a drawer :(