Options

Taxi driver saved from false rape claim by iphone app

peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A woman who falsely accused a taxi driver of sexually assaulting her at knifepoint has been jailed - after he exposed her 'outrageous' lies thanks to an app on his mobile phone.

Astria Berwick, 27, told police Mohammed Asif, 34, had subjected her to a terrifying attack in his cab as he drove her home from Nottingham city centre in February.

But the father-of-two was able to prove his innocence with an app he was using to record his journeys because the CCTV in his cab was broken.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2355655/Astria-Berwick-Woman-jailed-lying-police-taxi-driver-sexually-assaulted-cab.html

What an utter scummy bitch this woman is. I think she should have got the equivalent sentence to a successful rape conviction. At least everybody knows who she is now and can avoid her at all costs when she is released. Despicable.

Comments

• Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    What a shame there isn't an app that can prevent all the real rapes that go unpunished.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    What a shame there isn't an app that can prevent all the real rapes that go unpunished.

Whataboutery is the lowest form of argument. This is a story about a false allegation of rape. Saying 'but what about real rapes!' makes you sound like some whiny idiot in the question time audience who just says 'but errr. WHAT ABOUT THE BANKERS THOUGH' in response to every question. It's lame.

And for what it's worth I'm sure the same app could be used by women to record everything they do. It wouldn't prevent rapes (just as this app didn't prevent the false allegation), but it would be very cogent evidence the rape took place.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

What a stupid comment to post in this thread.

Cant believe the woman only got 16 months. She should have got longer. Its stupid woman like this, that make it harder for actual victims of rape to get a conviction.

I hope the accused sues her and gets a load of dosh.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And what a shame there isn't an app that can solve world hunger too. And burglary. And rain.

Just as an aside, it seems that nowadays, whenever anyone does something newsworthy, the papers get hold of pictures from, I guess, their facebook page. Now, either everyone who does something wrong has loose security settings, or do the papers go and contact all their friends and see how wants to earn a few quid ?
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That would be wonderful, but why the need to respond in this way?

What this woman did is abhorrent as it could have destroyed this mans life, may have damaged his reputation and it affects real rapes as it highlights in the public consciousness that false claims can be made for malicious reasons.

It can be difficult to prove rape as it is, without idiots like her adding to the problem.
    A judge at Nottingham Crown Court condemned Berwick's 'outrageous behaviour' after saying she had invented the story for 'some unaccountable reason'.

I can think of one possibility.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Makes you wonder what on Earth drove her to it?

I mean, she phoned the police almost immediately after leaving the taxi so it's not like it was an excuse she told her boss for pulling a sickie which got out of control.

One assumes there was nothing in the recording of the journey which suggests a motive.

She must have got out of the cab and thought "Right, I'm gonna get that bastard into trouble".

Baffling. :confused:
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    proviso wrote: »
    Whataboutery is the lowest form of argument. This is a story about a false allegation of rape. Saying 'but what about real rapes!' makes you sound like some whiny idiot in the question time audience who just says 'but errr. WHAT ABOUT THE BANKERS THOUGH' in response to every question. It's lame.

And for what it's worth I'm sure the same app could be used by women to record everything they do. It wouldn't prevent rapes (just as this app didn't prevent the false allegation), but it would be very cogent evidence the rape took place.

Indeed. Well said.
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    proviso wrote: »
    Whataboutery is the lowest form of argument.
    ACU wrote: »
    What a stupid comment to post in this thread.
    johnny_t wrote: »
    And what a shame there isn't an app that can solve world hunger too. And burglary. And rain.
    Fizix wrote: »
    That would be wonderful, but why the need to respond in this way?

I'm glad I wasn't alone in my thoughts. I just shook my head and went and made a brew when I saw that reply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Makes you wonder what on Earth drove her to it?

I mean, she phoned the police almost immediately after leaving the taxi so it's not like it was an excuse she told her boss for pulling a sickie which got out of control.

One assumes there was nothing in the recording of the journey which suggests a motive.

She must have got out of the cab and thought "Right, I'm gonna get that bastard into trouble".

Baffling. :confused:

Maybe she pre-planned it. Its not something that you would think to do on the spur of the moment. It doesnt matter how rude/obnoxious the driver was, accusing him of rape, is probably the last thing you would do. I cant make the jump from what the driver could have done, for her to accuse him of rape. :confused:
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Maybe she pre-planned it. Its not something that you would think to do on the spur of the moment. It doesnt matter how rude/obnoxious the driver was, accusing him of rape, is probably the last thing you would do. I cant make the jump from what the driver could have done, for her to accuse him of rape. :confused:

Well, aside from That Which Must Remain Unspoken, if she'd tried to blag the journey for free or summat, you'd think there would have been something in the recording offering a motive.

Maybe she thought he over-charged or summat? :confused:
  • Options
    Raven8472Raven8472 Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    The women (Scum , Cretin) should do minimum 5 years inside. I feel for women who have been real victims but what would have happened if the gentlemen did not have the evidence to back up his story. Jail time and ruin his life and family.

Evil women. :mad:
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Cant believe the woman only got 16 months. She should have got longer. Its stupid woman like this, that make it harder for actual victims of rape to get a conviction.

I hope the accused sues her and gets a load of dosh.

Her sentence does seem to be on the low side for what she tried to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, aside from That Which Must Remain Unspoken, if she'd tried to blag the journey for free or summat, you'd think there would have been something in the recording offering a motive.

I have tried to blag stuff in the past, and failed. I have never thought of accusing the other person of a sexual crime. Would she have really accused him of rape, if he didnt give her a free ride (pardon the pun) or gave her a discount? I know there are vile people out there, but this is pretty low. She wouldnt have known the CCTV camera wasnt working in his cab. So seems a pretty stupid thing to try on.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does a drunk person have the sensory faculty to even consider accusing someone of rape?

I'm happy for the guy. For once Android does something right... oohhhh.
  • Options
    wychwych Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With respect, that is an utterly irrelevant & profoundly stupid comment.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member

Maybe she thought she could get a payout from the criminal injuries compensation scheme.
    I think the minimum for rape is £11,000, which can be awarded even without a conviction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    If he HAD raped her, I wonder how long he'd get in jail?

She should get at least the same amount behind bars for falsely accusing him. Not only to make it clear the severity of the crime but for all those women who have actually been raped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    Maybe she thought she could get a payout from the criminal injuries compensation scheme.
    I think the minimum for rape is £11,000, which can be awarded even without a conviction.

You say wha? :eek:
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member

Stupid comment, and to be fair there is, you could use the same app against a rapist, to proof rape.

This women should of been handed the same sentence as if the man was found guilty (where are all the women that keep crying on about equality).

This is not a case of "not proven" etc or "not guilty" through a technicality, she lied in order to get someone found guilty of what most people consider a "horrendous crime". This may of ruined his life, that of his family and his job, lets hope he sues her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

£11,000 is the maximum.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    £11,000 is the maximum.

Not according to this.
    "
    Groups representing victims of crime have welcomed a Government overhaul of the criminal injuries system to increase cash pay-outs.
    The minimum award for rape victims will be increased from £7,500 to £11,000 and people who suffer multiple injuries will receive higher sums, it was announced last night."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24743/New-pay-outs-victims-welcomed.html#ixzz2Y5P45Fny
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not according to this.
    "
    Groups representing victims of crime have welcomed a Government overhaul of the criminal injuries system to increase cash pay-outs.
    The minimum award for rape victims will be increased from £7,500 to £11,000 and people who suffer multiple injuries will receive higher sums, it was announced last night."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24743/New-pay-outs-victims-welcomed.html#ixzz2Y5P45Fny

Interesting.

I wonder if they still reduce the amount of compensation by 25% because of inebriation.
    That was causing a lot of uproar a few years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Hitchens lied to me! Apologies.
  • Options
    abhabh Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe she was trying for out of court settlement to make quick bucks from the taxi driver by initiating a chrge fisrt? Is that possible to do in UK?

Wht a good use by the taxi driver of his phn.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it just me or do so many people make it up these days? I guess they do it for attention.

I went to Uni with a girl who falsely accused someone of rape, he was able to prove he didn't do it, then she said she made it up cos she was depressed then every one forgave her. No charges were pressed against her. This girl then went to do masters abroad and falsely accused someone there!