American Horror Story: Freak Show US Pace (spoilers in tags please)

Here we go, the first episode aired last night. Anyone managed to watch yet? I've got it to watch when I get home tonight, so excited!:D

Comments

• prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I'm going to watch it tonight! Very excited. I am trying to force my husband. He loved 'murder house' but gave up on Asylum and flat out refused to watch Coven but hoping how twisted this looks he'll like it.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I liked it but I didn't love it though. Solid enough opening episode.

I never trust any character Jessica Lange plays and in that respect, Elsa will probably be no different but I did like her enough in the episode (dodgy accent/singing aside) and the last scene was interesting.

Bette and Dot are clearly going to be the highlight of the season though. Already find both of them massively interesting. Dot seemed to soften to Jimmy as well.

The rest of the freaks had their moments - Ethel was a good wingwoman for Ethel, Jimmy made some fair points about wanting a better life. Really liked Ma Petite and seeing Pepper again. Poor candy striper girl though.

Dandy gave me the creeps as well. His fixation on freaks is clearly being set up as an unhealthy one.

The clown was scary too. Will be interesting to see how he affects Elsa's troupe though, 8/10
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what to make of it really, I didn't love it but it definitely has potential.

I personally think Sarah Paulson should have had a minor role like Murder House - no doubt the series finale will be her character talking to a TV crew and she lives happily ever after etc.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clown is terrifying
    If someone already has a fear of clowns this wont help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    clown is terrifying
    If someone already has a fear of clowns this wont help.

I can't wait to see what's under the mask :D
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the opening episode of this showed more promise than the one in the last series. It also wasn't as gruesome, which is a plus for me.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keviness wrote: »
    I can't wait to see what's under the mask :D

Those eyes are just :o
    you would think the silly cow seeing a sinister clown dressed like that would have reacted sooner than just standing there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    It looks and feels like AHS is back to form, after what felt like Glee, the witching hour last season. The preview for the season ahead looks very promising. Angela bassett's character was just LOL funny.

Favourites so far, Sarah Paulson is, as always convincing as the two headed lady.
    Jessica Lange's character is ruthless but there's some personal, poignant moments that make me feel quite sorry for her. She can't be all bad?
    The clown. OMG, no. Just no. Scary as anything and I will be having nightmares. If the clown turns out to have mummy issues though, I am done.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lange wants to be a big star.

Paulson, I am just not keen on her so a little frustrated she is going to be centre of it all.

Bates' character seems a little dull.
    Amge is adorable.

Conroy can never do wrong ;-)

Bassett looks like fun.

Had a big smile on my face after seeing Chiklis in the preview clip at the end, just finished watching The Shield :)

....and IT is on the loose killing and abducting.

No idea what I think really, they do tend to start of a bit of a mess and come together but feel already that this will be below Season 1 & 2 (I won't mention the disastrous Season 3).
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was ok. They pulled off the conjoined twins stuff more convincingly than I thought they would.

It kind of feels a little bit like a formula now though. The sex scenes/references, the psycho murderer, hopefully it doesn't feel like the same old again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the best opening episode of AHS but has potential.
    Sarah Paulson is gonna be the stand out.
    I wanted more of Frances Conroy and Kathy Bates.
    Twisty the Clown is not, as Ryan said, scarier than Stephen King's Pennywise, no way, but he is a very unsettling characters.
    Evan Peters is annoying already. So woeful.
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it! I wish there was more of Frances Conroy, loved the character. She's main cast so she'll probably be in it more later on!

Lange is a brilliant actress! And the conjoined twins were convincing I didn't think they'd look that good.

Hope Emma Roberts is in next week
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why they insisted on making the Siamese sisters reveal so painstakingly long. Anyone interested in this series would have no doubt already seen the promos so knew exactly what was coming in that sense.

What was with the Bowie song in the 50s? Felt a little forced. As did the bit with crab boy pleasuring different women.

The clown looks great but the rest of the show feels a little tired. I'm sure it'll be a lot better than Coven though.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I did last year.

Jessica Lange singing life on mars gave me LIFE.

Did I imagine it or was that Pepper from AHS2? They also mentioned the asylum a lot. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I did last year.

Jessica Lange singing life on mars gave me LIFE.

Did I imagine it or was that Pepper from AHS2? They also mentioned the asylum a lot. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Yeah it was Pepper; I love how they've introduced Salty too. Not sure if they're related or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can get past Jessica's awful singing voice, the Life on Mars sequence was brilliant.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm.

Wasn't great. Found it a bit of a chore by the end.

The song was awful. felt like I was watching Glee :( It worked in Asylum, only worked in Coven because it was Stevie Nicks and seriously doesn't work here. As long as it doesn't happen again I'll let them off .

Some of the acting was terrible - but I guess you want the 'freak' more than the acting ability so you have to let it pass.

Oh, and I thought the big reveal at the end was going to be Elise is a man :D Got that a bit wrong there. :D

I'm sure it'll get better though.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes it's the same Pepper, before the asylum :)

As an opening episode, I thought this was OK. There were a few moments that I found a little bit boring, but I guess it was an opening episode and they had to introduce a whole new cast of characters and storylines and I think they did that quite well.

I usually ignore the "this season on..." montages, but I watched the one at the end of this and felt far more at ease. I think last season really ventured to far down the road of trying to have shocking and/or dramatic moments, but didn't have anywhere near enough of a storyline to tie it all together. There were literally times at the end of last season where I was genuinely at a loss as to what the actual storyline of the season was (and I even began to wonder if they actually knew it themselves ) but the montage for this season seemed to imply that they've got a bit more substance this year.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Oh good I thought I was going mad there for a moment.

I have a good feeling about this series for a start Evan Peters didn't make me want to throw things at the telly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone bought the full version of Jessica Lange - Life on Mars? :D
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    Yes it's the same Pepper, before the asylum :)

That poor woman. Shave her head, unemployed for a year, then shave her head all over again 2 years later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdP19mBeiZI

Full version, forgot to add link d'oh.
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keviness wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdP19mBeiZI

Full version, forgot to add link d'oh.

Thanks for uploading that :) I'm on my 3rd listen now and the more I hear it the more I like it. Not seen the show yet - does her character have an accent or is it just some weird thing she does when she sings? Actually, I'll go and watch it now and find out for myself...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for uploading that :) I'm on my 3rd listen now and the more I hear it the more I like it. Not seen the show yet - does her character have an accent or is it just some weird thing she does when she sings? Actually, I'll go and watch it now and find out for myself...
    No problem! :D

and yeah she has a German accent
  • Nollaig79Nollaig79 Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw the first episode, and I enjoyed it a lot better than last season's opener. I have a feeling AMH is back on form and that this season will be so much better than Coven. Looking forward to seeing Michael Chiklis and Angela Bassett, next week.