ABC1 - Prelaunch and launch discussion

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not just that, but how about having a word with the ITC about all that sex and nudity during "Once and Again" this afternoon. I loved the show but I didn't think it suitable for afternoon viewing.

Not that I care myself being a broad minded adult, but I can imagine that families with children who may be viewing might be quite shocked. Shame on you ABC1 to show such a thing in the middle of the afternoon. We still seem to have some debate about this ad break thing. I'm off to start a new thread for those who want to dissagree about just that.

As for all this Welsh cr*p. What has this got to do with ABC1? It's easier for the Welsh to understand English than the English to understand Welsh as you are taught both languages. So why do you feel the need to have multilingual channels when nearly all of the Welsh can understand and speak English anyway? As we all know, and I speak as a person who's family IS WELSH so I know full well that the Welsh language is only spoken part time as most of the time I know they all speak English.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikej wrote:
    As far as I know and can remember there is still a max figure of ads per hour - something like 8 or 9mins for terrestrial and 12 for multichannel - which is averaged out over 24hrs..

Might be wrong, but 99% sure here

Stu

Nope! Sorry, like I said, there is no limitation in place anymore. Sure, terrestrial may not get away with showing non stop adverts but there is no rule set in stone...please check out the Ofcom website it you are unsure.

mmlabbd
  • PolarknightPolarknight Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thepuffin wrote:
    Moonlighting was one of the shows that I was basing my opinion on (The other being Geena Davis immediately after it). It certainly wasn't crisp or fabulous.

It looks low res and fuzzy to me.

Probably due to the low bitrates the channel is forced to use because QVC is using most of the bandwidth ;)

I have to say I'm not experiencing any fuzziness at all with this and I'm recording Moonlighting onto DVD and it still looks great! Hmmmm... Don't watch Geena Davis, though, so I can't really say - have only seen the clips. Didn't that get axed pretty early on? I notice Ellen is a bit on the blurry side, but then it used to be like this on Channel 4. I have to say, I think abc1 is great and am just INCREDIBLY impatient for it to extend into evenings.
  • rikoriko Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmlabbd wrote:
    Nope! Sorry, like I said, there is no limitation in place anymore. Sure, terrestrial may not get away with showing non stop adverts but there is no rule set in stone...please check out the Ofcom website it you are unsure.

mmlabbd

According to ofcoms website there still are rules in place limiting the amount of ads and number of breaks.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/codes_guidelines/broadcasting/tv/advertising/rules_amount_scheduling_adv/amount_advertising?a=87101

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/codes_guidelines/broadcasting/tv/advertising/rules_amount_scheduling_adv/int_breaks_progs?a=87101

riko
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riko wrote:

Well Riko I do stand corrected and apologise! :o

I was told by a source in media that those rules had gone a long while ago...bad source bad bad source :p

mmlabbd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote:
    As we all know, and I speak as a person who's family IS WELSH so I know full well that the Welsh language is only spoken part time as most of the time I know they all speak English.

That's utter and complete rubbish. Most Welsh people with the ability to speak their own language will grab the opportunity with both hands. All Welsh-speaking people I know feel more comfortable speaking the language with each other, and will only speak English when necessary, even if we are all completely bi-lingual.
  • Sunset BitchSunset Bitch Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GwiDan wrote:
    That's utter and complete rubbish. Most Welsh people with the ability to speak their own language will grab the opportunity with both hands. All Welsh-speaking people I know feel more comfortable speaking the language with each other, and will only speak English when necessary, even if we are all completely bi-lingual.

Im perfectly cool with your choice to speak your own language just please dont call directory enquiries cos we can never undestand you welsh people and we cant spell your towns, yet the Welsh always seem to have an attitude when we ask them to spell it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Im perfectly cool with your choice to speak your own language just please dont call directory enquiries cos we can never undestand you welsh people and we cant spell your towns, yet the Welsh always seem to have an attitude when we ask them to spell it...

Wow, that's some lovely discrimination there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how many people watched the channel on its launch day? does anyone know?
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did, so that's at least one viewer they had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read few pages back that ABC 1 address is Chiswick Park,anyone know whhy their based here and not down the road in Hammersmith with ABC News and Disney UK?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    abc1 is now listed in Digiguide.

It's got timings from 16:45 today but the details are a bit sparse. No episode details or numbers, maybe they'll come along later.

At least they are listed (albeit after the channel launched):cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    You people must have sad lives,waiting,watching,gossiping,over a crap usa channel on 12 hrs shows how bad freeview really is...sussed lol.get a life u lot :o
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You forget many people may be housebound, so have to rely on TV, radio, DVD etc for a little entertainment, and thus being housebound may only be able to afford freeview and the odd DVD now and then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone else ABC1 in digiguide just a huge line of thumbs up? (the favourite sign)

I don't know how the repeats at the weekend will work. Take Sports Night for example: there are five showing per week (weekdays) and then 2 * 50 minutes on a Saturday. How is that gonna work?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PIGSFEET wrote:
    You people must have sad lives,waiting,watching,gossiping,over a crap usa channel on 12 hrs shows how bad freeview really is...sussed lol.get a life u lot :o

Sounds like another Sky Digital person jealous because they ain't got ABC1 yet.
  • djshaun1982djshaun1982 Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    PIGSFEET wrote:

Why dont you get a life,, and go back to your own forum and pray for some more sky digital channels and repeats, (if uv got rip-off-sky that is) u greedy bit of ****. :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:

....also sort your puntuation out ****-****!!! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Must add my two pence.

I think its a decent addition to Freeview, with a good mix of shows. I've seen Ellen, Sportsnight and Moonlighting. It adds an extra dimension to the platform.

Lets hope it and the other new additions (hopefully at the expense of the shopping channels) help to make Freeview stronger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellen was so funny yesterday - the one when she tapes over the video of her friends childbirth.

Plan B was to reverse the spin of the earth and turn back time.

Pllan A led her to the hospital where she asked all the pregnant woment o let her video their birth.

Gina Davis show is really funny too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I found this article on the web at Time Magazine Online:
    http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,639622,00.html
    James Poniewozlk makes a meal of ABC's troubles.
    I think it's quite interesting, comparing what Time had to say about the ABC network earlier this year with ABC's recent expansion into the UK.
    I suspect ABC has very clever strategy up their sleeve by going international. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disney’s new Freeview channel ABC1 made a strong debut this week, attracting a healthy share of viewers with its line-up of US soaps and sitcoms. During its broadcast hours of 6am to 6pm, ABC1 achieved an average share of 1.61% in Freeview homes on Monday, growing this to 2.05% on Tuesday.

Source:broadcastnow.co.uk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PIGSARSE wrote:

Ignore this troll....

judging by previous posts the 'banned 'user' line will apear below their name soon. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disney’s new Freeview channel ABC1 made a strong debut this week, attracting a healthy share of viewers with its line-up of US soaps and sitcoms. During its broadcast hours of 6am to 6pm, ABC1 achieved an average share of 1.61% in Freeview homes on Monday, growing this to 2.05% on Tuesday.

Does anyone know how this compares to other channels on Freeview?
  • spikejspikej Posts: 3,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's overall share is about 0.35% which means my first guess would be 3 times better than Ftn and UKTV Bright Ideas (0.1% overall share) and equal to UKTV History (0.4%).

Obviously this is an educated guess....

Tell you what tho, it was nice to watch 8 Simple Rules at lunch before going off to work, made a nice change.

Stu
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Can anybody in west wales recive this new channel on dtt