uni open day

stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
Forum Member
✭✭
Going to a uni open day but not sure what to wear. Thinking about wearing Jeans, t-shirt and a hoodie.

Does anyone know?

Comments

• RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    It's just a look round to see what you think I assume? No interviews?
    Go comfy if so.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a look round to see what you think I assume? No interviews?
    Go comfy if so.

Yes it is just a look round. It isnt even the uni I think I will go to next year
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's fine - the majority of the potential students will be dressed similarly.:)

(not sure why you're visiting if you're not thinking of going there though, surely it would be better to visit one you actually want to go to):confused:
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Casual. Anything else will look deeply odd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    That's fine - the majority of the potential students will be dressed similarly.:)

(not sure why you're visiting if you're not thinking of going there though, surely it would be better to visit one you actually want to go to):confused:
    It is my back up option I am going another day to the other uni
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    It is my back up option I am going another day to the other uni

Oh, I see :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Going to a uni open day but not sure what to wear. Thinking about wearing Jeans, t-shirt and a hoodie.

Does anyone know?

Wear whatever you like, the Uni will have seen it all before, and couldn't really care less :D
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone know?

Congratulations I hope you have a great experience. University can be great the three or four years just fly by. Just remember don't get too drunk, actually turn up for lectures and tutorials (lectures you can get the notes for if you miss one but missing tutorials is not advised).

Are you starting this year or is it for your UCAS application for next?

Clothes wise don't worry just wear what people your age wear. Don't wear tops with explicit language or that are offensive to women.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody cares what you wear. It's all about what you think of the university rather than vice versa at this stage.
  • Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know sharing personal info isn't advised but just wondered what courses and uni your interested in

And yeah that dress code will be fine - they probably won't even remember. I told one of my really ambitious uni's I was an straight A a level student at an open day 😂
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations I hope you have a great experience. University can be great the three or four years just fly by. Just remember don't get too drunk, actually turn up for lectures and tutorials (lectures you can get the notes for if you miss one but missing tutorials is not advised).

Are you starting this year or is it for your UCAS application for next?

Clothes wise don't worry just wear what people your age wear. Don't wear tops with explicit language or that are offensive to women.
    It is for next year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know sharing personal info isn't advised but just wondered what courses and uni your interested in

And yeah that dress code will be fine - they probably won't even remember. I told one of my really ambitious uni's I was an straight A a level student at an open day 😂
    It is one of the Glasgow Uni's i am going to this week but at the moment I am still debating ideas
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is one of the Glasgow Uni's i am going to this week but at the moment I am still debating ideas

Both Glasgow Caledonian and Strathclyde Universities are great. Two of my cousins are at Glasgow and they are enjoying it.

What course are you interested in doing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both Glasgow Caledonian and Strathclyde Universities are great. Two of my cousins are at Glasgow and they are enjoying it.

What course are you interested in doing?

Im between teaching and geography type things. But I am still trying to decide
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im between teaching and geography type things. But I am still trying to decide

You interested in primary or secondary - both very rewarding
    Forum Member
    You interested in primary or secondary - both very rewarding

As long as you like LONG hours (particularly primary), dealing with aggressive parents, and masses and masses of paperwork :D

But it's rewarding work and decent pay for those with 'poor' (not much good for anything else) degrees.
  • waterlooenderswaterlooenders Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I was in the same position last year, this year I also work for my university (Caledonian) doing open days and most come casually, maybe a bit more 'groomed' than they usually might be, as you may meet people you might end up on a course with. I would say what you plan is fine.
    Open days are usually great and it should give you a good idea of what to expect in that particular university, including services you might not have thought of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone know?

Smart jeans, smart T-shirt or shirt, no hoodie. Even if that is what you are going to wear when you get to Uni.

Whether or not it is correct 'hoodies' give off a certain vibe much like some areas of society simply 'not wearing a tie' gives off a certain vibe.

I'm sure it will not make much a difference but putting in a little thought on the image you want to project is what you will be doing once you have left University and are in a job.

However, most important thing to do is talk to the lecturers and and current students or possible PhD students they might have around as they will tell you the truth - make sure you know what you want to get from the course and make sure they can give it to you.

Ignore pretty much everything anyone who isn't a direct lecturer or involved in teaching as anyone else is only there to get you to go to their university rather than get the right course for you.
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing less than a full suit and tie. Shiny black dress shoes are a must.

Though if you're visiting a uni in Scotland, you need to wear a kilt.
  • gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    We had to go to our local uni open days in school uniform! It was common practice, but we refused and spent the day avoiding the teachers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as you like LONG hours (particularly primary), dealing with aggressive parents, and masses and masses of paperwork :D

But it's rewarding work and decent pay for those with 'poor' (not much good for anything else) degrees.

Not sure how to take that. Especially the last bit
    Long hours are a part of both jobs - though I'd say I work longer hours actually in school (I'm secondary) than my wife does - she's primary and does a lot more at home. All depends on time of the year. Aggressive parents is annoying but a good bitch in the staff room - they love it at primary - we bitch more about the kids, soon changes that. And masses of paperwork may be a bit excessive - marking maybe and planning - I actually love planning - but actual rubbish shitty paperwork is quite scarce except for data drops.

It's decent pay for a lot if areas and both have good levels of progression - esp primary for a male. My head if year post is very good pay for where I live and when I become an assistant head and my fiancé becomes a deputy Ina. Few years we'll be very comfortable

And not all teachers have crap degrees
  • ChemistryChemistry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Ask all questions possible. I say this because I work at uni on open days and I'm shocked at how many parents take over and ask all the questions. It's not their degree.

Yes ask lecturers, but don't forget to talk to student ambassadors as they can give you the student experience.

Hope it goes well :)
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeans and plain tee shirt.
    All the best
    Forum Member
    Not sure how to take that. Especially the last bit
    Long hours are a part of both jobs - though I'd say I work longer hours actually in school (I'm secondary) than my wife does - she's primary and does a lot more at home. All depends on time of the year. Aggressive parents is annoying but a good bitch in the staff room - they love it at primary - we bitch more about the kids, soon changes that. And masses of paperwork may be a bit excessive - marking maybe and planning - I actually love planning - but actual rubbish shitty paperwork is quite scarce except for data drops.

Perhaps not as much paperwork at secondary as primary?, there's masses of paperwork at primary - I wasn't even counting marking and planning.

It's decent pay for a lot if areas and both have good levels of progression - esp primary for a male. My head if year post is very good pay for where I live and when I become an assistant head and my fiancé becomes a deputy Ina. Few years we'll be very comfortable

Headmaster pay is pretty decent :D

And not all teachers have crap degrees

No, not all, but many do - certainly at primary :D

At least at secondary I'd like to think (although I know it's not true) that teachers have degrees in the subjects they teach. It's particularly true in Maths and the Sciences, with suitable teachers hard to come by.

As far as primary goes, I would imagine an actually teaching degree would be 'better' than a normal degree and a teaching year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would you define as a crap degree