Options

Would Americans think Cheryl Cole is Scottish?

Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
Forum Member
Wth her Geordie accent, it's almost identical and more closer to Scotland than London or South East which the Americans may prefer. So some of the audiance believe she would be Scottish?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Wth her Geordie accent, it's almost identical and more closer to Scotland than London or South East which the Americans may prefer. So some of the audiance believe she would be Scottish?

Or just simple:D
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible that some would. I can't think of any other Geordies that have made it big over there (with the accent).

It might raise interest in Auf Weidersehen Pet. When that series started I couldn't make out most of is until about the third programme :)
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I hope so. I'd be ashamed if they thought she was English.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member

I'm not sure what planet you're from but Ant and Dec sound nothing like Billy Connoly.

Do you actually travel past the border of your home county ? :D
    It is possible that some would. I can't think of any other Geordies that have made it big over there (with the accent).

It might raise interest in Auf Weidersehen Pet. When that series started I couldn't make out most of is until about the third programme

Ridley Scott(Alien. Gladiator, Blade Runner) was born is South Shields and is one of the most world well known directors.

Sting was born in Wallsend and is still popular in USA.

If you go back to last century then Stan Laurel was from the Nort East..
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm scottish and when I visit the states they either think I am Irish or need to ask where I am from. They really aren't the best at identifying accents :D.
  • Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what planet you're from but Ant and Dec sound nothing like Billy Connoly.

Billy Connolly is a Glaswegian and dosen't have the same accent as Annie Lennox, Lorraine Kelly or Sean Connery
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My point was the North East accent is not even remotely close to the Scottish one lol.

Broad Glaswegians need an interpreter when crossing the border to England.

It could be she could have a mackem accent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also mark Knopler from dire straits came from Newcastle and done well in the states also. So geordies have cracked america :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stupid ones might.

The other three wouldn't
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vol wrote: »
    Well I'm scottish and when I visit the states they either think I am Irish or need to ask where I am from. They really aren't the best at identifying accents :D.

I'm from Dublin and when I was in the States they thought I was Australian !!! So anything is possible with Cheryl....LOL.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire33 wrote: »
    Also mark Knopler from dire straits came from Newcastle and done well in the states also. So geordies have cracked america :D

Nobody says it's impossible for a Geordie to crack America, but judging by the American reaction to both Ant and Dec and Vernon Kay, it certainly doesn't help with matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And geordies sounds nothing like scottish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire33 wrote: »
    yeah but did he talk or just sing? :)
    Nobody says it's impossible for a Geordie to crack America, but judging by the American reaction to both Ant and Dec and Vernon Kay, it certainly doesn't help with matters.

What was the reaction and was it thought to be down to the accent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    yeah but did he talk or just sing? :)

What was the reaction and was it thought to be down to the accent?

They couldn't understand them and after the TV show pilots the options were either to add subtitles or give up and go home. Subtitling English was deemed patronising enough after Monty Python, so they went home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some geordies have more of a staunch accents than some geordies do. I can understand every word ant and dec say :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They couldn't understand them and after the TV show pilots the options were either to add subtitles or give up and go home. Subtitling English was deemed patronising enough after Monty Python, so they went home.

Oh dear, I didn't think that their accents were that strong but then I may be too used to them,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Oh dear, I didn't think that their accents were that strong but then I may be too used to them,

Personally I don't find it too bad, although with Ant and Dec, pretty much every British child is brought up with Geordie accents on TV. I don't understand the North very well though. I know I'm hypocritical, being Northern Irish, where no-one else can understand anything, but Northerners and certain Scottish accents I just can't understand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I speak perfect English, but have often been asked in the US what part of Oz I'm from? :confused:

Cheryl will do well, they love beauty the best, and she is that. btw, she in no way comes close to a Scots accent, she has the perfect Geordie tone!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Well, I thought Irish at first. Sorry! =P Just to clarify, I can understand every word she says, I just couldn't determine the accent for a while. Cheryl will be fine if she goes to US. I had never heard of the term Geordie until I came across XF through the internet and learned of Cheryl
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't find it too bad, although with Ant and Dec, pretty much every British child is brought up with Geordie accents on TV. I don't understand the North very well though. I know I'm hypocritical, being Northern Irish, where no-one else can understand anything, but Northerners and certain Scottish accents I just can't understand.

Snap:D

I have been asked what part of Scotland I am from many times. I was also on a course once and the guy taking it kept making Scottish jokes and it was clear that it was for the benifit of someone in the room. I couldn't work out who was Scottish and then on day three I realised that it was meant to be me :)

I have also been asked if I am American

Someone asked me the other day if I was "worried about Ireland" For a moment I wasn't sure what she meant and then just said "only that they might not pay us back", Bless her she thought that I would be worried that the ROI was going bankrupt
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    They'll probably think she's french.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doubt it.
    Gerard Butler is popular over there, and I'm sure they could tell the difference between his and Cheryl's accents.
  • Options
    THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe they will think she is chav?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    maybe they will think she is chav?

I heared most chavs come from Liverpool now and all look like the cast of Shamless.

Isn't the 'Pooooooool the crime capitol of the country ?
  • Options
    MaxyParkGuyMaxyParkGuy Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    There's not actually a huge difference between the Geordie accent and that of the East of Scotland. The whole east coast of Britain is broadly similar as that was the main route up and down "Britain" from Roman times onwards.

Several invasions from the east and south towards "Britain" over the last 2000 years and easy passage up and down that east coast meant that there was more integration up and down the east compared with the west.

These invasions pushed the ancient Britons mainly west and they were added to by the Irish Gaelic immigration from 1500 years ago, so that there is a much bigger divide between the peoples' culture and accent going east and west - much more so than going north and south. Glasgow is much more like Liverpool than Edinburgh which is more like, say York.