Pvr 9200t Freezing Problems

15678911»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I do still believe, regardless of all the problems, that the Humax PVR9200T is a top piece of kit. It has completely revolutionised my telly viewing and I wouldn't know what to do without it!

I totally agree. This box is not just a replacement for a video recorder but allows you to create your own TV channel. This means you set up programmes to record say before you go to work, i.e. what you actually want to watch that night/following day/week. When you then sit down to next watch TV you watch what you have recorded, rather than what's happens to be on at the time.

I rarely watch live TV, and never watch adverts as I skip them using the autoadvance feature set to 60 secs, four presses usually does it.

As a ex sky + user, this box is almost as good, and will be when we get auto padding and chase play, and more that 20 timer events! These improvements are being tested as we speak! And to top it all I'm saving in the region of £40/month having the Hummy!!

As for the ITV "problem", don't leave your reciever on ITV, until the issue is resolved! I'm sure it will be. Just record what you want to watch on ITV with the box left on a BBC channel. to ensure no lock ups in the mean time!

Woolfynorm
  • BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    wolfpup wrote:
    Just spoken to someone at Humax customer support.

He has told me that the lock-up problem has been fixed with the 04 software release (which I installed yesterday).

He also told me that the lock-up on ITV channels is not their problem.

Apparently ALL terrestrial digital tuners are having problems with freezes on ITV channels still (most often in the mornings).

This is quite clearly rubbish - just take a look in the DTT forum here, and find me one (non Humax) Freeview viewer who's having any of these problems?

I'm really tired of manufacturers, and owners, blaming their boxes problems on what the broadcasters are doing. There is simply NOTHING that any broadcaster can do that ought to be able to crash this or any other box, even if they wanted to. Any crash is, by definition, a failure of the software in that box - simple as that - and the manufacturer, in this case Humax, needs to address that and stop trying to confuse consumers with these silly excuses.
  • Frank1Frank1 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Boinng wrote:
    This is quite clearly rubbish - just take a look in the DTT forum here, and find me one (non Humax) Freeview viewer who's having any of these problems?

I'm really tired of manufacturers, and owners, blaming their boxes problems on what the broadcasters are doing. There is simply NOTHING that any broadcaster can do that ought to be able to crash this or any other box, even if they wanted to. Any crash is, by definition, a failure of the software in that box - simple as that - and the manufacturer, in this case Humax, needs to address that and stop trying to confuse consumers with these silly excuses.

As in the title.

Come on Humax, less BS and more action!
    Please get this fixed.
    Look at the comments regarding lockups with 1.00.04

Frank
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agreed with boinng too. I think we would have witnessed a lot more reports about ITV lockups than the few we have here and for other STB/PVR device manufacturers around DS.

The helpdesk agent on monday or tuesday morning may have witnessed like the rest of us a dramatic halt to the lockups during testing up to that point. But we know by our few reports since then that there is still more work to do for a water tight system. Despite what the helpdesk agent was aware of up to that point, the technical guys were already engaged with the third party about the MHEG engine when I got an update in the afternoon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    wolfpup wrote:
    It isn't really as bad as all that! - The ITV problem is relatively uncommon and (according to Humax) affects just about every freeview box (if it is left on the ITV channels) - usually just in the mornings.

The updated software has stopped all the freezes on the BBC channels and has made the box much more reliable (thankfully).

I do still believe, regardless of all the problems, that the Humax PVR9200T is a top piece of kit. It has completely revolutionised my telly viewing and I wouldn't know what to do without it!

I agree with you wolfpup, I don't quite see why people are getting so heated about such a minor inconvenience. Yes I am sure Humax will fix it, relax, take a chill pill and realise there are far more serious things going on in the world that need action now!!

Since I applied the patch I've not had one single lockup, before that I was having several a day. I am more than happy with the performance of the unit, it is an excellent piece of kit.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    gav28 wrote:
    I agree with you wolfpup, I don't quite see why people are getting so heated about such a minor inconvenience. Yes I am sure Humax will fix it, relax, take a chill pill and realise there are far more serious things going on in the world that need action now!!

Since I applied the patch I've not had one single lockup, before that I was having several a day. I am more than happy with the performance of the unit, it is an excellent piece of kit.

:)

Just to add my 2p, I had one or two lock ups when the COmmonwealth Games were on, but I've not had any in the last week or so, and I'm not running the latest sorftware.

Seems to be a bit of luck involved. It probably depends on factors like your transmitter, signal strength and quality, and the gravitational pull of the car parked in your drive.

I'm waiting for more bug fixes and a few features (EPG saved, chase play) before recommending this to my mum, but I'm happy with my purchase.

(Be nice if Humax themselves were a bit more reliable though!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Just like to say that I did the software update Thursday night & the box froze on ITV yesterday morning! No problems since then, touch wood...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    thebiggis wrote:
    Just like to say that I did the software update Thursday night & the box froze on ITV yesterday morning! No problems since then, touch wood...

I maybe tempting fate here but...

Since the update on Monday via PC, and a spate of lockups on ITV on Monday, the Hummy has been rock solid. Are people still getting lock ups?

Woolfynorm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    woolfynorm wrote:
    I maybe tempting fate here but...

Since the update on Monday via PC, and a spate of lockups on ITV on Monday, the Hummy has been rock solid. Are people still getting lock ups?

Woolfynorm

Since my ITV lock-up the morning after I upgraded to 04 my Hummy has been solid as a rock - no further lock-ups.

I am a happy bunny. :D

edit: (when I say solid as a rock I mean it has been brilliant, not like a doorstop!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is something going around at times in MUX2 currently so you may find it on ITV or channel 4 for example. I've not had any more sinse the two I reported on Monday, but I'll continue to leave my machine on ITV when not in use to try and get it again.