A Suggestion For Programme Names In The Playlist

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
Forum Member
It seems there are people who'd like the name of the programme to remain as entered in the scheduled timer list because an incorrect name gets recorded in the playlist if the previous program overruns.
However there are others like me who would still like to see what actually got recorded (in the playlist) to avoid being lulled into a false sense of security in situations where the programme was never broadcast and something else is sitting in the playlist with the title from the scheduled timer list.

My suggestion is to try to satisfy both sets of people by the following logic:

1. When the programme start time is reached, the entry from the scheduled timers list is placed in the playlist when the recording begins.
2. At the same time, the Humax knows the length of the desired recording from the scheduled timers list so it sets a timer for half the programme length.
3. When the timer interval in 2 expires the Humax then takes the transmitted name of the current programme being recorded and changes the name in the playlist to this name.

Admittedly I am making the assumption that the hardware can support this extra timer and that Humax could make the necessary software changes perhaps as part of their work on upping the timers to 50?

What do people think?

If the majority seem to be in favour I'll suggest it in an Email to Humax.

Comments

• wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Against.

Should just take the name from the schedule.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's needed are two names:

1. Scheduled name, and
    2. Recorded name (should be taken half way through as suggested).

My feeling is, Humax aren't that thick and can't think of the methods of solving it... They are either not too concerned about names or the whole problem needs a big re-write of the firmware (which they can't be bothered with)...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    What's needed are two names:

1. Scheduled name, and
    2. Recorded name (should be taken half way through as suggested).

My feeling is, Humax aren't that thick and can't think of the methods of solving it... They are either not too concerned about names or the whole problem needs a big re-write of the firmware (which they can't be bothered with)...

Don't see why they couldn't figure out how to solve it. It was always the case on the 8000t that the name in the EPG for the programme you reserved was used in the list of reservations and also in the list of recorded programmes with padding at either end making no difference to the name. So if it worked fine on the 8000t why dd they change it to not work on the 9200?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, my feeling is that the firmware for the 9200T is just a re-hashed job of the 8000T. With regards to the names, bugs crept into the port from 8000T to the 9200T when they decided to use the EPG programme name. With the recent 1.00.04 firmware release the bugs have been removed.

With the Beta 04 release, Humax thought they could just introduce the autopadding feature by adding the minutes to the start and end, without much thought to the wider issues of autopadding (e.g. overlapping of programmes, and even the programme naming problem). This caused a huge debate when the betatesters reported in this forum about what was in the release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm. not quite. The notes that came with that beta actually says that the issue with taking the name of what is in the schedule and using it for the name of the resulting recording in the playlist will not work in that release. The notes that came with the beta also says that autopadding is introduced for the first time but can not be fully tested until other associated fixes are in as well, like the back to back recordings fix and what they call extra warnings that will come up about overlaps and schedule clashes. I guess in subsequent test software, as bits needed are added we'll start to get a good flavour of what it will be like in the furture when its available on official software. Its interesting to hear everyones views on implementation options. There are some good ideas coming out
  • PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In principle I like this idea but can see at least 1 instance where it may not work. A lot of films on some channels have a break in the middle for the news to be broadcast. I and I would imagine others select the 1st half of the film and then pad out the end of the timer to the end of the 2nd part of the film. This could mean that you would end up with the entry in the recorded list being that of the news or whatever programme split the recording.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see this instance not working, but taking the name from the EPG from the middle of the timer catches most cases.

This is why I suggested the two names. If both titles (or title and subtitle) appears in the playlist then when the mis-match occurs you would immediately know what has happened...

Wouldn't most people set up two timers for films that are broken by the news?
  • PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally dont setup 2 times for 2 reasons. 1 the break in the middle may only be a couple of minutes and you stand a good chance of missing some of the film and 2 because of the limited number of slots having 2 for 1 film seems to be a waste of valuable resources ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    Wouldn't most people set up two timers for films that are broken by the news?
    If I'd always seen the break actually match the time it was scheduled perhaps. I've actually seen a lot of cheesy news filler recorded instead of film.
  • JAK99JAK99 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I like the 8000T method. Thst's why I bought the new 9200T model, oh well!

If I set up a recording in the schedule I don''t want it called anything else as that is confusing. At least with the new s/w we're part the way there.

The EPG names are sometimes wrong in any event. When the C4 EPG was two hours out recently the 8000T labelled the recordings correctly from the schedule while the 9200T didn't. That's not really progress, is it?

To try and pick up the name from half way through a recording sounds pretty complex to achieve. Surely if one records a programme, that's what one looks for whe time comes to view it, not something else so I'd be very unhappy if anything other than the 8000T method is adopted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Perhaps then, to expand on my original suggestion, there seems a need to have a configuration option in one of the main menus, called. for example Playlist Programme Name Source.

This could have 3 options:

1. EPG Name at Start Of Programme - which will behave as the 9200T does today.

2. Timer List then EPG Name Mid Programme - like I originally suggested.

3. Timer list - so it unconditionally uses the name as scheduled.

As quite a few people on this forum seem to favour option 3 so far, this could be made the defauilt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    bworth wrote:
    Perhaps then, to expand on my original suggestion, there seems a need to have a configuration option in one of the main menus, called. for example Playlist Programme Name Source..

We are in danger of making this so complicated no one understands!

Keep it simple, what you select at the time of setting the event is the neme which appears in the recorded programe list, if need be, you can rename it later.

Anyway Humax will give us what they see fit!!

Woolfynorm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like what people are saying about the way the 8000t does it. The name of the recording listed in the playlist is whatever was in the scheduled timer for it, not what was on at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This would be good for me only if you are able to change the name when schedualing the timer (i.e choose an alternative name from the one given by the EPG)...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Has this got anything to do with the Freeview EPG rather than the 4TV EPG?

MY old Fusion, bless, managed this name business from day one. It does seem a little strange that a consumer electronics company has got this so wrong.

I still like my 9200 though.:)
    Forum Member
    woolfynorm wrote:
    We are in danger of making this so complicated no one understands!

Keep it simple, what you select at the time of setting the event is the neme which appears in the recorded programe list, if need be, you can rename it later.

Anyway Humax will give us what they see fit!!

Woolfynorm

I don't see what is complicated.

If Option 3 is a default then the people who want the name to remain as the scheduled timer name get what they want.

Those that don't want the above and want the real programme name in the list then have choice of 2 other options.

I'm sure if Humax just change the playlist to work like the 8000 so the name always comes from the scheduled list, the forum will start to receive complaints from others that want the real name in the list.

The configuration option aims to please everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I take it from the Option 2 suggestion that the programme name is transmitted all the time the programme is, yes? If so, then surely the obvious thing is for the Hummy to use that to record the programme you select irrespective of the time it is actually broadcast - like PDC on a VCR?

The only two issues with this that I can think of are:

1) It won't be able to warn you in advance of a conflict. The solution to that, possibly by a configuration option, would be to miss the beginning of the later programme (which has got to be preferrable to missing the last few minutes of the earlier programme). In an extreme case - such as when progs are shifted by half an hour due to, for example, a major news story, where you could miss an entire programme but I think that would happen anyway as you would not know in advance that the schedule would have changed.

2) If you wanted to record two or more consecutive programmes as a single recording (due to the 20 slot limit for example). In this case (as there would be no need for padding) if you altered the start and/or end time it would record the times you set; without padding, it would record the programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    parish wrote:
    If so, then surely the obvious thing is for the Hummy to use that to record the programme you select irrespective of the time it is actually broadcast - like PDC on a VCR?

That would be a great idea but the EPG is unfortunately not updated in real time.
    Forum Member
    parish wrote:
    I take it from the Option 2 suggestion that the programme name is transmitted all the time the programme is, yes? If so, then surely the obvious thing is for the Hummy to use that to record the programme you select irrespective of the time it is actually broadcast - like PDC on a VCR?

The only two issues with this that I can think of are:

1) It won't be able to warn you in advance of a conflict. The solution to that, possibly by a configuration option, would be to miss the beginning of the later programme (which has got to be preferrable to missing the last few minutes of the earlier programme). In an extreme case - such as when progs are shifted by half an hour due to, for example, a major news story, where you could miss an entire programme but I think that would happen anyway as you would not know in advance that the schedule would have changed.

2) If you wanted to record two or more consecutive programmes as a single recording (due to the 20 slot limit for example). In this case (as there would be no need for padding) if you altered the start and/or end time it would record the times you set; without padding, it would record the programme.

That's an excellent suggestion. Now you mention it I believe someone mentioned Humax may be working on a kind of "series link facility" where the recordings are driven by the programme name. I'm sure it was on one of these forums. It may have been the "wish list" one or may have been someone quoting an Email received by Humax.

If Humax can give us this facility as well that would be excellent.

A downside I can see with recording being driven by programme name is that if the programme name isn't broadcast until the programme starts, the start of the programme would be missed until the recorder can come out of standby and spin the disk up, whereas PDC seems to broadcast the name earlier to give VCRs a chance to get ready.

Does anyone know if Humax are working on a "series link" recording facility?
    Forum Member
    neilleeds wrote:
    That would be a great idea but the EPG is unfortunately not updated in real time.
    I don't follow what you are getting at :confused: Say you go into Guide, select Eastenders (20:00-20:30) tomorrow, press OK. It shows up as that in the schedule; now if it worked as I suggested, the Hummy would just have to "look" for the programme name "Eastenders" being transmitted at around 20:00 tomorrow (I assume that the broadcasters start transmitting the name a bit before the programme actually starts). If it starts at 19:58 or 20:06 it still gets recorded in its entirety. I don't see how the EPG not being realtime comes into it - unless you are talking about programming the Hummy for something that's not listed in the EPG yet, e.g. >7 days ahead.
    Forum Member
    bworth wrote:
    That's an excellent suggestion. Now you mention it I believe someone mentioned Humax may be working on a kind of "series link facility" where the recordings are driven by the programme name.
    To be honest, that was the way I expected it to work. I thought that this was the whole point of transmitting the programme name, like PDC (although of course, PDC didn't get adopted by all TV companies - my ITV, HTV West didn't, so the several PDC VCRs I've had have been worthless).
    bworth wrote:
    A downside I can see with recording being driven by programme name is that if the programme name isn't broadcast until the programme starts, the start of the programme would be missed until the recorder can come out of standby and spin the disk up, whereas PDC seems to broadcast the name earlier to give VCRs a chance to get ready.
    I would hope that the broadcasters have implemented it properly/sensibly, by which I mean that the programme name changes as soon as the last screen of the previous programme disappears (unless they have a "Next time on The Bill...." type continuity announcement, in which case at the end of that). Even BBC have continuity or programme trailers between programmes. Having said that, I'm amazed that broadcasters can't schedule trasmission times to within milliseconds with modern technology.