thought we was going to be deluged with doctor who stuff.

124»

Comments

• stocklenstocklen Posts: 4,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to add my opinion too.

The way I see it, it does feel like there is something to be disappointed about.

Yes, this is the 50th year and thats a big milestone. There has been some rather ill advised PR speak so far along the lines of Dr who taking over TV etc. There is a lot to be said for realistic management of expectations!

I am struggling to interpret the reality as anything other than the following:

in 2013, the 50th year, we have so far had the 'leftovers' of series 7 broadcast - this really should have been broadcast last year along with the other paltry 5 episodes plus the christmas special. It is only 8 episodes. Until the new fad of splitting seasons started, it has been fair to expect a full 13 episode season to be broadcast in a year.

We are all aware that we have something 'special' coming up i.e. the '50th special' but we have to wait 6 months from the end of transmission of the end of series 7 for this. Also, as good as this may or may not be, its bound not to please everyone. I have a lot of faith that we know very little about this episode and who is in it and will all be pleasantly surprised.

We then have the Christmas special to look forward to including a regeneration - although I wouldnt be surprised if the new doctor is already in place for this one.

Meanwhile the 'adventures in space and time' episode.... now although this is sure to be great viewing, it is not an actual episode.

It seems a lot is being centred around the 23rd November. For obvious reasons of course, but it would be nice for things to be spaced out a little more. The worst thing being the 6 months of dead space whilst we wait. Yes, there is a certain 12th Doctor announcement but this would be happening regardless of the 50th year depending on when the incumbent actor chose to leave the role. The recent royal visit to the set wasn't exactly something that is inclusive for the fans of the show.

How would I have liked to see it? Well as unrealistic as this is, it would have been nice to have the whole of series 7 broadcast in 2012.... and then a full 13 episode series 8 in 2013 leading up to the 23rd november special.

This isnt supposed to be a moan, just thinking out loud and wondering how the 50th year could have felt a little more special.

That said, I am looking forward to the 50th, and the adventures in space and time, and the christmas special of course... just a shame that it feels like despite all the PR, the 50th anniversary year is rapidly passing us by and we have only 8 left over episodes so far to look back on!

I would like to think that Steven Moffatts comment about 'if we think that all there is is a 60 minute special.....' was true... but seeing as the end of series 7 said he will return on 23rd November... then we still have a while to wait!

Another way of looking at it is that, since the show returned, we have had 14 episodes per year up until series 4. There haas been some messing about since of course but even series 5 and 6 managed to do this too - giving us 14 episodes. It just seems a great shame that however you try to spin this, 2013, the 50th anniversary year, we are only getting 10 episodes. Seems a shame eh.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this special anniversary year us going to go down in history as a massive anti climax/non events thanks to the mess ups of the current production team. I am sick of hearing all the PR spouted by Steven Moffat using his fancy not funny vocabulary. He obviously thought he had the same status as RTD when he started telling us about more doctor who than ever. Ha. Yeah right. Thanks for that. but sadly it seems not.
  • steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stocklen wrote: »
    I would like to think that Steven Moffatts comment about 'if we think that all there is is a 60 minute special.....' was true... but seeing as the end of series 7 said he will return on 23rd November... then we still have a while to wait!

Well, he never actually said the 50th special wouldn't be 60 minutes, he simply said the 'idea of one 60 minute special was nonsense'. So if we get other DW related stuff on the TV, but only one hour long 50th special, he wont have been lying as such, just being economical with the truth.

So again, it just feels like one of those annoying arse covering PR double speak thingys from the Moff that I'm really starting to tire of now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, he never actually said the 50th special wouldn't be 60 minutes, he simply said the 'idea of one 60 minute special was nonsense'. So if we get other DW related stuff on the TV, but only one hour long 50th special, he wont have been lying as such, just being economical with the truth.

So again, it just feels like one of those annoying arse covering PR double speak thingys from the Moff that I'm really starting to tire of now.

Exactly.

You can interpret that a number of ways but for sure if you add the 'adventures in space and time' biopic then what he says is true from a certain perspective.

I fear that the other stuff will be cast members appearing on quiz shows etc. None of it will be a nice new episode!

Heres the pessimistic view so far:

2013 - 50th Anniversary year of Dr Who....

Jan, Feb, March... nothing. 1/4 of the year passes without anything.

April, May - we are 'treated' to the final 8 episodes of last year's season 7.

June, July... nothing ;-) and no prospect of anything until 23rd November.

Do you all remember when David Tennant left? Over that Christmas period both he and Catherine Tate literally did take over TV and radio.. they were everywhere! every chat show, most quiz shows, presenting radio together etc. If that kind of 'taking over TV' is what we have to look forward to later in the year, then I guess we will take it but its still not any new episodes :-(
  • ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I think Moffat's comment on that Doctor Who will "take over television" in 2013 is actually true at the moment.

My PVR is full of Doctor Who stuff and I am getting complaints from my family that there is too much Who being recorded. I was read similar comments in the Independent yesterday.

I don't think they could have put more stuff on TV, Red button and BBC radio if they had wanted to. Not everyone is a Doctor Who fan but I am sure most people are now aware of the anniversary now with all of the shows and publicity including the missing episodes announcements last month.

i think they've done a great job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    And three pages of people making themselves look like tools.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but although I've loved the minisode with McGann, and have loved the 2 trailers I've seen, and the indent thingy, I still would have preferred the trailers/programmes etc to have been more spread out throughout the year.

Some people probably like the way it's been done - I think a drought then overkill isn't good planning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair there was absolutely no Doctor Who on in 1963 before November, so maybe the producers are just accurately reflecting the past

;)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but although I've loved the minisode with McGann, and have loved the 2 trailers I've seen, and the indent thingy, I still would have preferred the trailers/programmes etc to have been more spread out throughout the year.

Some people probably like the way it's been done - I think a drought then overkill isn't good planning.

Exactly. Now we are in the middle of the storm we are loving it. Of course its churlish to continue complaining because it is what it is. But you are right. Its all very well coming on here with hindsight and snidely calling people 'tools' bur honestly? They could have paced things better. Now I don't care but someone saw fit to resurrect a dead thread to make a point. So I will make a point back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And three pages of people making themselves look like tools.

Not at all.... just look at when the comments were made and what information was available at that time.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it.

And, for the record, Everyones comments are still valid. It is great to see all the Dr Who content that we have right now... but theres no denying the fact its all come at once.

Maybe its better to see this event as the '50th Anniversary week', instead of having expected more of a '50th Anniversary year'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. Now we are in the middle of the storm we are loving it. Of course its churlish to continue complaining because it is what it is. But you are right. Its all very well coming on here with hindsight and snidely calling people 'tools' bur honestly? They could have paced things better. Now I don't care but someone saw fit to resurrect a dead thread to make a point. So I will make a point back.

+ another 1

There's some nice things going on now, but also some"what's the point?"things like the baddies of dr Who on bbc3. It's got a presenter who looks like he's never heard of the show before, and they are only showing episodes from2005, must of which have been on in repeats in the last couple of months. What we needed was a show like this showing classic eps, about once a month over a weekend so people could get to know stuff that they might not have seen before, featuring baddies both new and old, mainly old. AND presented by sine celebrities who are actually fans. Perhaps a different one each month.

That could have built interest over time and kept the wagon rolling on the dr who front, a well as getting new fans interested. Right now it's like buses that all come at once. The buses behind the first one serve no propose to you. It's like what's the point in showing an episode I saw on tv a couple of Weeks ago, later in the evening, on bbc3, with a vague premise of then featuring a baddie on some top 10 list made up by a researcher who was already told which episodes would be shown, and presented by someone the bbc found at the nearest bus stop.

Don't get me wrong some of the other things are nice, but I have to record stuff because I don't have time to watch ail at once as they are shown. Plus the best stuff has not even been on the bbc, it's been on watch with the classic stories and stuff about the companions etc every weekend recently. (now that's a much better way of handling things.take note bbc1)
  • LightAtTheEndLightAtTheEnd Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Agree that the thing that has been missing has been repeats of the classic series. Spreading these out across the year, linked to the Doctors Revisited series as they aired in America - but on the BBC rather than Watch - would have been brilliant and built the anticipation for Saturday nicely.

The problem with the producers saying 'Doctor Who is going to take over TV' at the time that they did backfired, because we were all digesting the fact that we weren't getting a full series this year and the promise seemed - at the time - to be a broken one.

Now we're into the anniversary month, I'm mostly very happy with what we've got this month though and it's all rapidly and very nicely filling my Sky+ box!

The trailer, the McGann 'minisode' (especially that!), the CiN clip, the biopic & showing of An Unearthly Child, followed by the anniversary special itself are making up a pretty special week all round.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair there was absolutely no Doctor Who on in 1963 before November, so maybe the producers are just accurately reflecting the past

;)

:D

Long time no moo, Gene.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,081
    Forum Member
    Now we're into the anniversary month, I'm mostly very happy with what we've got this month though and it's all rapidly and very nicely filling my Sky+ box!

The trailer, the McGann 'minisode' (especially that!), the CiN clip, the biopic & showing of An Unearthly Child, followed by the anniversary special itself are making up a pretty special week all round.

Well I think you are being a little generous to include a trailer as part of the celebrations. :)
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dreamt, the other night, that as a special present to fans the BBC was releasing Marco Polo in DVD form but gilded. The truth is this will never happen. Best summed up by Churchill's comments in '65;

"Never, in the field of broadcasting, have so many fans had so many episodes lost by so few bumbling archivists."
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    I dreamt, the other night, that as a special present to fans the BBC was releasing Marco Polo in DVD form but gilded. The truth is this will never happen. Best summed up by Churchill's comments in '65;

"Never, in the field of broadcasting, have so many fans had so many episodes lost by so few bumbling archivists."

To be fair, it wasn't bumbling, it was policy :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Churchill, when cold war was in tv the other day, something stuck in my head.probably nothing, but Churchill was mentioned and so was the doctor saying he was still breaking in a new Tardis. That's the same thing he told Churchill in Victory of the Daleks. He told him it's a type 40 Tardis, I'm still breaking her in.

Like I said, probably nothing, but Churchill bring mentioned tweaked a memory there. Could it be a part if some future plot point? (Or more likely the doctor just making excuses.)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'd recently changed the Desktop theme (plus some rebuilding in the first case) prior to those two stories so that was probably all he meant.
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    How come nobody ever mentions the 'Pointless' special we got? :D
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I liked what was on watch as I saw a few
    I have nearly seen all of the seventh doctor apart from survival and it's reminded me what I loved about the series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    He'd recently changed the Desktop theme (plus some rebuilding in the first case) prior to those two stories so that was probably all he meant.

I do agree that is the most likely explanation. And I remember thinking before that he must be talking about the recent transformation if the Tardis (in victory). It was just something that popped into my weird head when watching cold war again, as weird thoughts often do come to me were watching;)