Courts quietly confirm that MMR causes Autism

Comments

• RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I'm merely attempting to indicate he's normal, as far as the term goes. But you knew that. My knowledge of autism may be slightly greater than you think, as it happens.

Agree - high level functioning autism ain't far from 'normal' - in fact a bit of a crossover, so what's the point eh?
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree - high level functioning autism ain't far from 'normal' - in fact a bit of a crossover, so what's the point eh?

I'm confused now

isn't MAW saying that his son can do those things because he ISN'T autistic? whereas the chances are that he could.

Maybe I've misunderstood what he is saying.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I'm confused now

isn't MAW saying that his son can do those things because he ISN'T autistic? whereas the chances are that he could.

Tiresomely, you've misunderstood entirely deliberately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiresomely, you've misunderstood entirely deliberately.

I didn't misunderstand - I was being polite

you said your son was doing those things ergo no autism.

or perhaps you'll be denying that too.

Edit - to jog your memory
    He's up a ladder about 10 ft from me now. His 21st birthday is next week, he has a 1st class degree from a well known university, so no autism induced by the fit or the jab
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't misunderstand - I was being polite

you said your son was doing those things ergo no autism.

or perhaps you'll be denying that too.

Could you tell me your POINT here - simply?

Or are you just having some sort of 'go' at Maw?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you tell me your POINT here - simply?

Or are you just having some sort of 'go' at Maw?

The point is that it's offensive to presume that those with autism can't do any of those things.

Or is MAW some sort of untouchable?
    Forum Member
    Lets let Hobbity get on with me being offensive, and repost the bit she didn't quote.
    In any case, the point really is that there's no proven link between MMR and any condition you could mention, but that still doesn't preclude the possibility of isolated cases. What we do know is that the danger of not vaccinating carries a far higher risk of long term damage than the possibility of damage caused by the vaccine. No medical treatment is 100% safe. I know of someone who died in hospital from a blood clot after trivial surgery, and drug reactions are an occasional and tragic bit of news from time to time. You play the odds, basically.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused now

Maw was saying that his son is 'normal' in the sense of no ASD, the fact that HIGH LEVEL FUNCTIONING ASD can do the same is neither here nor there.

It's a spectrum, and it doesn't 'cut off' into 'normal' - plenty of nerdy types out there that can be classified as a bit asd but it doesn't actually matter.

It's also a 'male exaggerated' thing - the lines are blurry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debunked junk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maw was saying that his son is 'normal' in the sense of no ASD, the fact that HIGH LEVEL FUNCTIONING ASD can do the same is neither here nor there.

It's a spectrum, and it doesn't 'cut off' into 'normal' - plenty of nerdy types out there that can be classified as a bit asd but it doesn't actually matter.

It's also a 'male exaggerated' thing - the lines are blurry.

I absolutely agree with all this apart from the bit where you think that MAW was saying any of it.
  • BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Autistic spectrum is so diverse that we are all on it somwhere. It also exists as a comorbidity with other conditions such as ADHD, OCD, Dyspraxia etc.

So no two people with Autism will be the same, so why even argue about who is capable of doing what?
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That charlatan should have been arrested and prosecuted.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »
    The idea a court can 'confirm' such a thing is ridiculous.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/galileo/condemnation.html
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did courts become experts in medicine?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely agree with all this apart from the bit where you think that MAW was saying any of it.

I saw it as MAW saying his son was normal, not with any side pop at Autism per se.

The INTENT was not combatative or trying to downgrade autism.
  • BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *puts hands over ears*

Aaargghhh can everyone please stop I don't like the noise!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it as MAW saying his son was normal, not with any side pop at Autism per se.

The INTENT was not combatative or trying to downgrade autism.

That's what I took exception to, saying that his son was 'normal' and using being able to do those things as examples of his 'normalness'.

I'm not trying to continue this, just trying to explain my position :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I took exception to, saying that his son was 'normal' and using being able to do those things as examples of his 'normalness'.

I'm not trying to continue this, just trying to explain my position :o

S'alright.

I just didn't think there was 'side' there.

:o:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breadstix wrote: »
    *puts hands over ears*

Aaargghhh can everyone please stop I don't like the noise!

Go upstairs and play with your pens.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post 15 was clearly using an example of how well his son turned out after the MMR as a counter example of the claim that MMR can cause autism, (a counter to the example anecdotes in this thread that imply otherwise.)

Im sure MAW was not trying to diminish people with ASD however the examples given were clearly to express how his son turned out ok and not at all autistic nothing else would make sense as to why he would bring up ladders.

So I dont see why Hobbit Feet is getting a hard time for pointing out those are piss poor examples of 'non autistic behavior'. Because they are. And if they were not intended as examples that indicate his son is not autistic what was the point in posting them in that context?
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Post 15 was clearly using an example of how well his son turned out after the MMR as a counter example of the claim that MMR can cause autism, (a counter to the example anecdotes in this thread that imply otherwise.)

Im sure MAW was not trying to diminish people with ASD however the examples given were clearly to express how his son turned out ok and not at all autistic nothing else would make sense as to why he would bring up ladders.

So I dont see why Hobbit Feet is getting a hard time for pointing out those are piss poor examples of 'non autistic behavior'. Because they are. And if they were not intended as examples that indicate his son is not autistic what was the point in posting them in that context?

That's the way I saw it too
    Forum Member
    That's the way I saw it too

This may be true, I apologise for using a poor example. My son, for the record, is not autistic, and does now eat his greens.:) I merely take slight exception to nit picking for the sake of scoring a cheap point.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may be true, I apologise for using a poor example.

Well thats fine, Im sure no one here thinks you had ill intent. But why didnt you just say the above then when Hobbit Feet first pointed it out?

I appreciate you guys must have some history (since you are fine with others pointing it out, but not her apparently) but if you accept it was indeed a poor example, do you think maybe you have been unfair?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love and Peace

Peace and Love

Enough now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets let Hobbity get on with me being offensive, and repost the bit she didn't quote.

omg

I wasn't going to revisit this

you added this as an edit long after the page had turned, it wasn't even part of the post I took exception to

that's quite deceptive really