New macghina - a question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
Forum Member
Not sure if anyone will know the answer or have a view, but I received my new machine from Dixons yesterday after much searching for a supplier who had one in stock. Seems fine and appears brand new and unused, but to my surprise it is on s/w version 0.4 dated 29 March 2006.

Given the trouble I had in getting one - everyone was waiting for stock - I would have thought I'd have later s/w. Have I got a recycled machine? It appears to be new?

Secondly will this update soon OTA? There is none sceduled this week.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Oops. Sorry for title cock up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    You are lucky to get an old machine :) , otherwise you might have got one of the new but noisy ones like me :(

johntres
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    johntres wrote:
    You are lucky to get an old machine :) , otherwise you might have got one of the new but noisy ones like me :(

johntres

I got a new one (1.06) not noisy at all, silent in fact. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    WYNIR0 wrote:
    I got a new one (1.06) not noisy at all, silent in fact. ;)
    Are you saying your machine is truly and absolutely silent when on and working??

If you are, you have the only truly silent working computer hard drive I've ever come across!! :D
    Forum Member
    lancer wrote:
    Are you saying your machine is truly and absolutely silent when on and working??

If you are, you have the only truly silent working computer hard drive I've ever come across!! :D

:D

Well, If I pressed my ear against it then I'm sure I could hear something.... but I find that doing so drasticly buggers up my viewing angle to the telly. :D

I certainly can't hear the hummy in operation, either with the TV on or off.

My DVD player on the otherhand is extremely noisy in use.
    Forum Member
    Any chance of getting this back on topic?
    Forum Member
    alexandp wrote:
    Any chance of getting this back on topic?

Hard to say re the box, may just have been sat at the back of the warehouse or something.

Re OTA, supposedly there will be a new s/w version before year end with lots of cool additions / fixes. Not sure if there's a 1.06 or 1.08 ota scheduled.

Are you not able to update it from your pc?
    Forum Member
    I'd need to get the cable but that's easy enough. Is the process easy? Reading the various threads, there is enough within them, given the large number of questions /threads, to raise doubts in my mind as to how simple it is.

Is there a definite, easy to understand "idiots guide" anywhere?
    Forum Member
    alexandp wrote:
    I'd need to get the cable but that's easy enough. Is the process easy? Reading the various threads, there is enough within them, given the large number of questions /threads, to raise doubts in my mind as to how simple it is.

The Hummanx support website makes it pretty clear, but it's basicly.

Download the update and loader software.
    Power off the hummax
    connect the cable
    Run the software
    Power on the Hummy
    wait for update to complete and END to appear on the LCD
    Power cycle the Hummax
    Done!

I've done it a number of times ok, and I'm a muppet. ;)
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexandp wrote:

The process is very straightforward, even if you do initially have problems, this should be a one off and next time you do it there shouldnt be problems

I allway do it this way as I like to get the sofware when its released instead of waiting for an over the air download

As well as instructions given on here, check out the Humax site (if you havnt already), you will need to register first though
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/hcsa/
  • betsvigi9betsvigi9 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I bought one a couple of months ago and it had v0.4 loaded. At the time other people were reporting buying machines with v0.6 on.

I don't think that it means it has been recycled, I suspect it might just be older stock.

I upgraded to 0.6 last week after having formatted the hard drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    With a big supplier like Dixons, I would be very doubtful - they must be supplying in order of receipt surely?
    Forum Member
    betsvigi9 wrote:
    I bought one a couple of months ago and it had v0.4 loaded. At the time other people were reporting buying machines with v0.6 on.

I don't think that it means it has been recycled, I suspect it might just be older stock.

I upgraded to 0.6 last week after having formatted the hard drive.

I guess I won't find out. Why did you format the hard drive? Is that needed before an upgrade?
    Forum Member
    paulsalter wrote:
    The process is very straightforward, even if you do initially have problems, this should be a one off and next time you do it there shouldnt be problems

I allway do it this way as I like to get the sofware when its released instead of waiting for an over the air download

As well as instructions given on here, check out the Humax site (if you havnt already), you will need to register first though
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/hcsa/

I've just bought the cable on ebay. I suppose though I'll have to lug the Humax up to my PC to do this - I don't have a laptop. It doesn't need to be connected to air while the update takes place I assume?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexandp wrote:
    I've just bought the cable on ebay. I suppose though I'll have to lug the Humax up to my PC to do this - I don't have a laptop. It doesn't need to be connected to air while the update takes place I assume?

no, you just need to have it plugged in but turned off when you start the transfer. If you have it turned on the Humax isn't found and the transfer gets timed out after 10 seconds.

If you are upgrading the software to 1.08 you should upgrade the loader to 4.09 first, it makes machine start up quicker.