Court rules UK ISP's must block The Pirate Bay

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    as is often the case the obviousness of the truth is somewhat obscured.

HBO are trying to push their HBO-GO service. which is why their stuff is not available on itunes, netflix etc.

the business needs to sort this. all these exclusive contracts with fox stuff only being available on this platform and sony stuff on another. meanwhile the pirates are offering drm free downloads that play on anything.

this is not rocket science.

DS ran an appropriate story today:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s151/game-of-thrones/news/a381015/game-of-thrones-is-most-pirated-show-of-2012.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I'm tempted to take that bet :D

Reselling games is ethical. Many would argue downloads are not.

There's very little difference between buying second hand games and downloading them for free. Either way the publisher loses out.

Games creators/publishers are not shy of expressing their hatred of the practice.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-27-pre-owned-increases-cost-of-games-cannibalizes-industry-says-dyack

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/897227-crytek-in-favour-of-blocking-used-games-but-against-wii-u

In fact, reports say that Microsoft and Sony are working hard to make playing used games on the next generation of consoles impossible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jittlov wrote: »
    There's very little difference between buying second hand games and downloading them for free. Either way the publisher loses out.

Ok, back to school with some simple maths. :p

£30 game, bought new, and then resold to 2 people. Games company gets their share of £30.

£30 game, hacked and downloaded by 1000 people. Games company gets nothing.

Steam and similar systems will be loved by publishers as they have lower overheads (not producing and shipping DVDs) and you can't lend the game to anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, back to school with some simple maths. :p

£30 game, bought new, and then resold to 2 people. Games company gets their share of £30.

Games company does lose out on a share of £60. These people want to buy the game, but chose to buy a second hand copy.
    £30 game, hacked and downloaded by 1000 people. Games company gets nothing.

The games company might not be losing anything since we don't know whether any of the 1000 people would have actually bought it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Games company does lose out on a share of £60. These people want to buy the game, but chose to buy a second hand copy.

The games company might not be losing anything since we don't know whether any of the 1000 people would have actually bought it.
    I don't agree with that argument. It's like the one earlier 'I only buy the DVD if I like the film'. What next? 'I only go to the cinema if I like the film before I see it'?

Don't games have downloadable demos any more?
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is... they're killing the goose that lays the retrogaming egg...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about when the game goes out of print?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with that argument. It's like the one earlier 'I only buy the DVD if I like the film'. What next? 'I only go to the cinema if I like the film before I see it'?

With second hand sales, whether it be DVDs, CDs or Games, there is no doubt that the publisher is losing out.

Like I said before, someone has decided that they like the product so much that they would like to own it, but don't want to pay full price for it, so they buy it second hand. If a second hand version wasn't available, they would likely buy a new one.

With downloads people could be downloading them because they are free, and would never even consider purchasing them.

If a shop announced that they were giving away free bluray players, there would be queue a mile long, even though the vast majority of those people never intented to buy one or may not even need one.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

demos? No. Not for ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With second hand sales, whether it be DVDs, CDs or Games, there is no doubt that the publisher is losing out.

Like I said before, someone has decided that they like the product so much that they would like to own it, but don't want to pay full price for it, so they buy it second hand. If a second hand version wasn't available, they would likely buy a new one.

With downloads people could be downloading them because they are free, and would never even consider purchasing them.

If a shop announced that they were giving away free bluray players, there would be queue a mile long, even though the vast majority of those people never intented to buy one or may not even need one.
    What about if the game's gone out of print, but they find and buy a copy from Oxfam?
    Forum Member

there is some supposition there that I'm not sure you're entitled to make. I agree with you about downloads and sales. But who knows the effect of second hand sales.

It is very possible that people put the money from selling second hand towards buying something new. Further that they wouldn't buy it if they couldn't sell it. But if someone buys something it's theirs and trying to stop them selling it is shocking. It's like if bmw tried to stop me selling my car.
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    What about if the game's gone out of print, but they find and buy a copy from Oxfam?
    pirates and terrorists. Should be executed. It's akin to insurance fraud.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see The Pirate Bay's changing their name nearly every day now. :D They seem to be keeping their URL though, obviously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pirates and terrorists. Should be executed. It's akin to insurance fraud.
    I trust you're taking the piss...
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    I trust you're taking the piss...
    I'm just trying to get in on the outrage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    preachy, judgemental and alarmist much?

i don't know exactly who you think you are to tell the rest of us to take a good look at ourselves. only my mother gets to talk to me like that and she never would.

He's talking to you exactly as the media industries talk to you.

They just don't get it, the passive aggressiveness, the "do as I say" attitude, the "I am right and you are wrong" style, the "We need more and more laws on our side" beliefs.

Because all of that works so well to convince pirates to change their ways out there in the real World, surely it must work on DS too. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Games creators/publishers are not shy of expressing their hatred of the practice.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-27-pre-owned-increases-cost-of-games-cannibalizes-industry-says-dyack

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/897227-crytek-in-favour-of-blocking-used-games-but-against-wii-u

In fact, reports say that Microsoft and Sony are working hard to make playing used games on the next generation of consoles impossible.

Indeed and is a perfect example of what I consider to be an unethical practice by the big media companies.

In the US, the right to sell items (yes, includes games) second hand is protected by their First Sale Doctrine. There have already been rumblings of a class action lawsuit if the new consoles do indeed lock games to consoles. Look at Nintendo, the 3DS was, it was reported, going to store games saves permanently to the cartridge in a limited amount of space, meaning it would be difficult to sell them second hand because there would be no space for the second hand purchaser to save their games. They soon changed their mind after something of an outcry and some bad publicity.

Besides, there's also the argument that a great many people use the money raised from selling games second hand to buy new ones. This is especially true in the UK I would guess as the vast majority of second hand games end up at the likes of Game, Gamestation etc. who normally prefer to give credit rather than cash.
  • PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How do they lose out on £60? Most second-hand games are bought when the games are older, meaning that the developer will likely have stopped producing the game. Then there is not alternative other than to buy used.

As far as pirating games, someone will have had to buy the game, so the developers would get money for it, just not for the people who then download it off of that person.

The same argument can be used for games as it can be for pirated music. Until the prices they charge to legitimately buy the product, people will always prefer to get a cheaper version if they can.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    The same argument can be used for games as it can be for pirated music. Until the prices they charge to legitimately buy the product, people will always prefer to get a cheaper version if they can.

Some people will pirate 99p apps so it’s not always the case!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do they lose out on £60? Most second-hand games are bought when the games are older, meaning that the developer will likely have stopped producing the game. Then there is not alternative other than to buy used.

With Xbox Live, PSN and Steam, it is possible to buy older games.

Even older Ps1 and original Xbox titles are still being sold.
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Some people will pirate 99p apps so it’s not always the case!

it's not always the case. there are no hard and fast rules. but we have to be pragmatic. look at the trends.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attempting to stifle a legitimate 2nd hand market is disgraceful.

The industry can always switch to licensing if it bothers them so much.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The industry wants everything their own way.
    Forum Member

zx50 wrote: »
    The industry wants everything their own way.

this is it. they want to take the rewards of new technology. hand held game devices. people listening to more music than they ever have, paying for online game play etc.

but they don't want the other stuff that comes with it. have their cake and eat it.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    have their cake and eat it.

Like most people to be honest