DVD Burning advice

MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What type of dvd's would be best for me to burn up to maybe 4 x 45 minute tv episodes on?

What is the best dvd burning software?

Comments

• Stevie_DonaldStevie_Donald Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    Cheap ones

ImgBurn is pretty easy to use
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheap is good but is there a capacity type? Do some store less/more information?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that these are downloaded TV shows in .avi or .mkv format that you wish to put on DVD for playing in any DVD player.
    If so the file will need to be converted then burned to DVD- there are numerous programs available to do this either as a one-step operatiom or to convert using one program then burn with another.

An easy way is http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ which converts then burns many file types
    If you try it read the installation options carefully for anything else it may try to install.

A standard DVD-5 single layer 4.7GB disc will be fine for 4 x 45 minute episodes although the quality will be slightly better on a DVD-9 dual layer 8.5GB disc
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    I assume that these are downloaded TV shows in .avi or .mkv format that you wish to put on DVD for playing in any DVD player.
    If so the file will need to be converted then burned to DVD- there are numerous programs available to do this either as a one-step operatiom or to convert using one program then burn with another.

An easy way is http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ which converts then burns many file types
    If you try it read the installation options carefully for anything else it may try to install.

A standard DVD-5 single layer 4.7GB disc will be fine for 4 x 45 minute episodes although the quality will be slightly better on a DVD-9 dual layer 8.5GB disc

You're correct - and thanks :)
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, JVC DVD-R or DVD+R should be very reliable as they will be made by Taiyo Yuden, now that they own this very respected Japanese blank media company.

DVD+R are technically superior, compared to DVD-R, but DVD-R has been around longer, and older hardware may not be able to read DVD+R discs.

The reliability of dual layer DVD-R and double layer DVD+R, compared to single layer DVDs, have been questionable in the past. Don't know if this has been ironed out, or if the technology to allow burning onto two layers using domestic equipment will always present problems for the hardware to be able to read as reliably.

If it was me, I would put the material onto two DVD-R or DVD+R discs. You could use just one, but quality will not be as good. Whether you can notice this, is another matter, though.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use convertxtodvd (free to download) to convert them to play on a DVD player. You can add a menu so you can select certain episodes and it'll burn it to disc for you once it's finished converting them, put blank disc in and close tray before starting the converting process. Plenty of easy to understand guides on the net to help you out, it's not as daunting as it looks. Disc wise use Verbatim, they are the best and I refuse to use any other, gone though thousands and have rarely had a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    ...Disc wise use Verbatim, they are the best and I refuse to use any other, gone though thousands and have rarely had a problem.

If only it was as simple as that. Verbatim, along with most other blank disc manufacturer, will have the discs made for them, on their behalf. A bit like 'Sainsbury's' fish fingers, for example. Sainsbury's simply put their name on them, but they will have been produced by somebody else, on Sainsbury's behalf.

For example, Verbatim DVD-R that displays the code '43548' and says 'Made in Japan' on the pack will have been made by Taiyo Yuden. I have used hundreds of them, and I've never had a single dud - unfortunately, Taiyo Yuden no longer cater for Verbatim, so you won't see these Verbatim (Taiyo Yuden-made) discs anymore. On the other hand, Verbatim discs with a different code and different country of manufacture will have been made my a completely different company. So, with respect, you can't say that because you have found your particular Verbatim discs to be reliable, it necessarily means that all Verbatim discs will be reliable, for reasons I've stated.

It is the same story with Panasonic DVD-Rs, which also used to be made by Taiyo Yuden, in Japan. Again, I've gone through countless without a single problem. More recently, Panasonic DVD-Rs have been made by TDK, in India. I found these to be very unreliable and returned the ones I bought very quickly (!)

This is the reason I say to the OP go for JVC, as they will be made by Taiyo Yuden (now a JVC company), as long as you make sure you buy recent stocks, which clearly state "Made in Japan" on the packaging.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.Page wrote: »
    If only it was as simple as that. Verbatim, along with most other blank disc manufacturer, will have the discs made for them, on their behalf. A bit like 'Sainsbury's' fish fingers, for example. Sainsbury's simply put their name on them, but they will have been produced by somebody else, on Sainsbury's behalf.

For example, Verbatim DVD-R that displays the code '43548' and says 'Made in Japan' on the pack will have been made by Taiyo Yuden. I have used hundreds of them, and I've never had a single dud - unfortunately, Taiyo Yuden no longer cater for Verbatim, so you won't see these Verbatim (Taiyo Yuden-made) discs anymore. On the other hand, Verbatim discs with a different code and different country of manufacture will have been made my a completely different company. So, with respect, you can't say that because you have found your particular Verbatim discs to be reliable, it necessarily means that all Verbatim discs will be reliable, for reasons I've stated.

It is the same story with Panasonic DVD-Rs, which also used to be made by Taiyo Yuden, in Japan. Again, I've gone through countless without a single problem. More recently, Panasonic DVD-Rs have been made by TDK, in India. I found these to be very unreliable and returned the ones I bought very quickly (!)

This is the reason I say to the OP go for JVC, as they will be made by Taiyo Yuden (now a JVC company), as long as you make sure you buy recent stocks, which clearly state "Made in Japan" on the packaging.

I am aware of what you said above but I can only call it as I see it. I've had Verbatim disc's made in India on countless occasions (because I always look) and have yet to make a coaster. Verbatim combined with my LiteOn 20X external drive, burning at the slowest speed possible, is a faultless combination.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the OP wants to do is burn 4 x 45 TV episodes to DVD the easiest and cheapest way possible.

The advice given in this thread is valuable but the OP shouldn't get too pre-occupied initially about brands.

TBH I buy most of my printable DVDs from the PC shop (just around the corner) at £9 for 50.

It says Ritek 8X on the pack but who knows? In any event for the purpose for which they're used for they're fine and if I get one dud in 50 I count myself unlucky.

Yes, more expensive branded discs may have better manufacture quality control/last longer before degradation but it's doubtful if the actual picture quality of downloaded/converted TV episodes will look better on them or even noticed.

Also to be considered is that some burners and DVD players handle some brands better than others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    I am aware of what you said above but I can only call it as I see it. I've had Verbatim disc's made in India on countless occasions (because I always look) and have yet to make a coaster. Verbatim combined with my LiteOn 20X external drive, burning at the slowest speed possible, is a faultless combination.

When you say 'countless', how many are we talking about? The Verbatim discs which are made in India will, no doubt, have been produced at India's Moser Baer plant, which has a very chequered history of producing reliable discs. You may be lucky for a good while (as you have appeared to be, up to now, with them), or you may well get an unreliable batch before too long.

The most reliable burns generally occur when burning at between a half to two-thirds maximum permitted speed - not the slowest speed, which may cause avoidable errors (i.e. around 8-10x is best for a 16x certified disc).