Bose cinemate gs .....

...... Anyone have or had one of these systems , I need nothing more complicated like a 10.2 system with twin subs :D , just a bit more sound than my panny plasma can give , thoughts please :)

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do know that BOSE stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment? :D

Just did a quick google and could not believe the prices it showed for that system. Unless it's showing me the wrong thing. My advice would be to save yourself a shed load of money and get something like this instead.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/onkyo/htx22hdx/onky-htx22hdx-blk

The HTX22 can be upgraded to full 5.1 surround if you want or just leave it as a 2.1 system. In addition the HTX22 is a proper AV system. Much more capable and versatile than the Bose, and less than half the price. And probably sounds better as well knowing Bose! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Would your answer be the same if I said I was getting it for £100 off my dad ? ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would your answer be the same if I said I was getting it for £100 off my dad ? ......
    Probably :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Probably :D

but not definitely though .....
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

If you are getting it off your Dad then what do you think of it? If you like it then buy it...if you don't then don't bother.
  • MartinteaMartintea Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    or get one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Channel-Satellite-Speaker-Surround/dp/B003KZKSVI

If anyone on here DOES have one...are they any good?I need to know before I shell out :D
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member

A lot of people who've paid full price seem to thing they are fab. They may be deluded but at that price it would be massively better than any built-in TV speakers around now. :)
  • ray_01ray_01 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    It amazes me the number of people who slam BOSE products.
    Are they really that bad or is there a little bit of jealousy?
    Probably the same people who detest Range Rovers but have never owned or even been in one!
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I've got the Bose Companion 3 speaker system that I use with my tv. It is good, a massive improvement on the tv sound so I'm happy - I suspect I could have got something just as good though for much less than the £250 I paid
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ray_01 wrote: »
    Probably the same people who detest Range Rovers but have never owned or even been in one!

Does make you wonder if they've ever owned anything Bose?

I can't praise my Sounddock enough. Pricey, but well worth it.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    ray_01 wrote: »

It's not a question of 'being that bad' - just a question of being EXTREMELY over priced, and of far lower quality than they would have you believe.

As has been mentioned previously, Bose refuse to send their products for review, because they know they would be absolutely slated :p

This isn't to say many users don't love them, they give a completely artificial sound, but some people seem to like the artificial sound - plenty of 'boom boom' noises, bearing little relation to what it should sound like :D

Essentially it's fairly cheap Chinese gear, with a MASSIVE advertising budget - if they dropped the prices to about 20-25% of what it is, it would be reasonable for the money then.

But as far as putting TV sound through it, it will absolutely transform the TV's audio - but so would a pair of £9.99 PC speakers (although to a lesser extent).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have used BOSE kit, both professional PA stuff and domestic "HiFi" stuff.

BOSE is not completely awful. Though I would agree with Nigel above it can sound a bit "boom boom" unsubtle at times.

And it is certainly overpriced for what you get. As I posted earlier 750 quid for a 2.1 speaker set is nearly what I paid for an entire 5.1 system, receiver and speakers. And I bet I got the better deal. There is plenty of kit out there that can blow BOSE into the weeds sound wise at much lower prices.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

I have a high end Bose system in my car and it is truely dire. If it wasn't built in to the centre console it would have been replaced.

I've heard a few Bose home cinema systems as well, for what they cost I was seriously unimpressed, no high's and no low's, paper cones and no tweeters, you are paying high end money for entry level sounding equipment, which is why I consider their products poor value for money.

I could put together a couple of lifestyle systems that I consider to be much better value for money which would sound much better for less than the equivelent Bose product.

Not a fan of satellite systems myself, crossovers are way to high on some systems and the subs are meerly cheap boom boxes, so whether it's a Bose system or another manufacture it would not impress, less so given the price Bose ask for their products.