Forum Member
    ✭✭
    47) Star Trek new frontier: After the Fall-Peter David
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    izanami wrote: »
    64. A Christmas Carol (Dickens)
    65. Shatter: The Children of Man (Elizabeth C. Mock)

66. The Valley of Fear - Arthur conan Doyle
    67. A Simples Life: The Life and Times of Aleksandr Orlov ( ;) )
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about all the X-men related books, but as I have done my 210, I have set myself a target of reading all the X-books dated up to the year 2000 by the end of the year.
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>

366. Private Eyes - Jonathan Kellerman 6/10
    Headline (Hodder Headline), 598 pages
    Alex Delaware & Milo Sturgis # 6. Ex-patient Melissa from 10 years previous, contacts Delaware about her agoraphobic mum, Gina (who'd had been the victim of an acid attack before Melissa's birth) who subsequently disappears. With the help of Milo, Delaware begins an investigation into the disappearance finding a multitude of suspects in Gina's life. ANother great case, but once again tended to have so much detail at times, it was often difficult to maintain interest.

367. Mutant X 1998 - 1999 - Howard Mackie, Cary Nord etc. 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 447 pages
    Mutant X # 1- 16 and Annual 1999.

368. X-Force classics 1998 - 1999 - J F Moore, Adam Polliana, Jim Cheung etc. 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 631 pages
    Collects X-Force # 73 - 97 and Annuals '98 and '99.

369. Generation X 1999 - Jay Faerber, Terry & Rachel Dodson etc. 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 380 pages
    Generation X # 47 - 58, Annuals 1998 & 1999

370. Uncanny X-Men 1999 - Steve Seagle, Alan Davies, Howard Mackie etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 465 pages
    Uncanny X-Men # 363 - 375, Annual 1999, Magneto Rex #1 - 3, Astonishing X-Men # 1-3 and Peter Parker # 4 (with Marrow).

371. X-Men 1998 - 1999 - Joe Kelly, Alan Davies, Terry Kavanagh etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 755 pages
    X-Men # 77 - 95, X-Men & Dr Doom Annual 1998, X-Men Annual 1999, X-Men Wizard 1998 and Magneto War.

372. X-Men Unlimited 1998 - 1999 - Various 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 466 pages
    X-Men Unlimited # 18 - 25, 'Eighth Day series' in Iron man, Thor, Peter Parker and a Juggernaut one-shot.

373 X-Man 1998 - 1999 - Terry Kavanagh, Roger Cruz, Luke Ross, Mike Miller etc. 4/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 636 pages
    X-Man # 34 - 58 and X-Man & Hulk Annual 1998.

374. Essential Wolverine 1999 - Erik Larsen, Jeff Matsuda, Lenil Francis Yu etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 515 pages
    Wolverine # 133 - 145, Revelation #1 -4, Wolvering Annual 1999, Hulk # 8 and Guts and Glory one-shot with Cable.

375. Warlock - Louise Simonson and Pascual Ferry
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 204 pages
    Warlock #1 -9.

376. Inconceivable - Ben Elton
    Black Swan (RandonHouse), 366 pages
    Actually a really good romantic comedy by Elton, veering away from his usually dark polictially tinged comedy. Quite cleverly constructed… as part of self presribed relationship therapy a couple are writing diaries to record there thoughts and feeling whilst trying for a baby... and it is essentially these diaries that ultimately play leading roles, with the couples themselves in this book. As ever I feel a lot of Elton's younger characters are very one-dimensioal and samey, but it's still quite a funny, entertaining and dare I say it, heartwarming book.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    49. The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (another re-read while I kill time waiting for Christmas books!)

I expect I'll make my 50 book target :)
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    288) Robin Pilcher - A Matter of Trust
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    286) Nemisis - Jo Nesbo
    287) Confessions of a GP - Benjamin Daniels

My prospects of hitting 300 books by the end of the year while still difficult have been boosted as my Christmas holiday plans (Med cruise) have been thwarted by the snow and ice at Heathrow:(

So I have nearly two weeks at home and the bad roads etc mean I will spend most of it at home.

Merry Christmas!

Sorry to hear about your abandoned holiday plans, Oxford Girl :mad:.

Whilst reading books is fun, it's not as cool as being on a Med cruise. :(

However, I hope you can still have a nice and comfortable Christmas - likewise to everyone else on this thread, it has been fun seeing what everyone is reading. :D

I'm currently on book 76 and hoping now to finish number 77 by the end of the year. I had hoped to break 100, as well.....oh well, maybe next year :D

Well done to those of you who got to 210 and WELL beyond....I salute you guys.

Merry Xmas all. x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    289) Her Last Letter - Nancy C johnson
    290) Complicit - Nicci French
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your abandoned holiday plans, Oxford Girl :mad:.

Whilst reading books is fun, it's not as cool as being on a Med cruise. :(

Thanks Gallovidian

I am sad that my holiday plans have been cancelled but I am keeping things in perspective - I have relatives and friends and work colleagues who have all lost close family members this year and I am just counting my blessings
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    98) Nightfall - Stephen Leather.

Another re-read as the sequel is on its way!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Numbers 73 - 75 are a a re-read for me, but the last time I read them was about 10 years ago. They are a trilogy by an author called David Lodge, as follows:

73) "Changing Places" by David Lodge.

74) "Small World" by David Lodge.

75) "Nice Work" by David Lodge.

76) "Outposts: Journeys to the Surviving Relics of the British Empire" by Simon Winchester.

I LOVED this book. A few years ago I read Ben Fogle's "The Teatime Islands" which is like a smaller, more modern version of the above, and it inspired me to seek out this book.

Winchester wrote his book in 1985, so it is a little out-of-date now, but the edition I read has a new foreword written in 2003 which updates things a little.

The premise is that Winchester, a journalist, travelled around the world visiting those little parts of the old British Empire that still remained - for example British Indian Ocean Territory, Tristan da Cunha, St Helena, Ascension Island, The Falklands, Bermuda, The Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos, Gibraltar and Hong Kong (this chapter shows the book to be out of date as obviously it's back with the Chinese since 1997, but this is dealt with in the new foreword).

It's a fascinating look at the places themselves, their history, their people and the politics / ethics of Empire.

The chapter on the Falklands is quite something as he happened to be there when the Falklands War broke out.

A must-read if you are interested in these last remnants of Empire.

After reading these books (Fogle's as well) I have a dream to go on the RMS St Helena from England to Cape Town, calling as it does at Ascension, St Helena and Tristan da Cunha. If I ever win the lottery that will be my dream holiday. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After reading these books (Fogle's as well) I have a dream to go on the RMS St Helena from England to Cape Town, calling as it does at Ascension, St Helena and Tristan da Cunha. If I ever win the lottery that will be my dream holiday. :D[/QUOTE]

I have also been fascinated by these islands so might try to get this book

My lottery dream holiday though would be the Oz Bus to Sydney!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    291) The Devil's Star - Jo Nesbo

I am getting quite fond of Inspector Harry Hole
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After reading these books (Fogle's as well) I have a dream to go on the RMS St Helena from England to Cape Town, calling as it does at Ascension, St Helena and Tristan da Cunha. If I ever win the lottery that will be my dream holiday. :D

I have also been fascinated by these islands so might try to get this book

My lottery dream holiday though would be the Oz Bus to Sydney![

/QUOTE]

Oxford Girl, you MUST read this book seeing as you're interested in these islands, it's fab. I borrowed mine from my library but Amazon are selling copies too.

You might enjoy Ben Fogle's "The Teatime Islands" too - as I say, it was this book that introduced me to the subject. I loved Ben's book at the time, but having read Simon Winchester's, I realise how superior the latter's writing and research is (no offence, Ben, if you are reading this :D). But Ben's book is a good taster for the subject.

Have a great Xmas, Oxford Girl and everyone else xx :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    292) Venus Envy - Louise Bagshawe

load of garbage but I am pleased to get another rubbish book off my shelf!

Merry Christmas everyone!
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about all the X-men related books, but as I have done my 210, I have set myself a target of reading all the X-books dated up to the year 2000 by the end of the year.
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »

<snip>

376. Inconceivable - Ben Elton
    Black Swan (RandonHouse), 366 pages
    Actually a really good romantic comedy by Elton, veering away from his usually dark polictially tinged comedy. Quite cleverly constructed… as part of self presribed relationship therapy a couple are writing diaries to record there thoughts and feeling whilst trying for a baby... and it is essentially these diaries that ultimately play leading roles, with the couples themselves in this book. As ever I feel a lot of Elton's younger characters are very one-dimensioal and samey, but it's still quite a funny, entertaining and dare I say it, heartwarming book.

377. Cable classic 1999 - Joe Casey, Joe Pruett, Jose Landronin etc.. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 320 pages
    Cable # 63 - 74 and Annual 1999

378. X-Force classics 2000 - Warren Ellis, Ian Edginto, Whilce Portachio 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 300 pages
    The X-book 'Revolution; saw Ellis and co. drag this book to the dark world of espionage, conspiracy and counter culture as a team honed down to four and Pete Wisdom seek a more proactive stance. Collected X-Force # 98 - 109.

379. X-51 - Karl Bollers, Higgins, Joe Bennett etc. 4/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 285 pages
    X-51 #1-12, part of the 'M-Tech' series, with the rebirth of the Machine Man title as 'X-51'.

380. Mutant X 2000 - 2001 - Howard Mackie, Tom Lyle, Rom Lim etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 493 pages
    Mutant X # 17 - 32. Annuals 2000 and 2001

381. Maximum Security - Kurt Busiek, Jerry Ordaway, Chris Claremont etc 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 548 pages
    21 part epic - the universe sentient races are manipualted by the Kree into cutting Earth off and making it a Maximum Security prison. The US Agent, Avengers, FF, X-Men, Thuderbolts, New Warriors and legions of others work together with Professor X and Cadre X to thwart the Kree.

382. Cable Classic 2000 - Robert Weinberg, Michael Ryan, Joe Pruett, Ben Raab etc 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 454 pages
    Cable # 75 - 86, Phoenix # 1 -3 and the extremely good X-Men: Hellfire Club # 1 - 4 starring his scribe Irene Merryweather.

383. Essential Wolverine 2000 - Rob Liefeld, Steve Skroce, Larry Hama, Jay Faerber etc. 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 475 pages
    Wolverine # 146 - 157, Annual 2000, Before the FF - Benn Grimm & Logan # 1 - 3 and Iron Fist & Wolverine # 1 -4.

384. Uncanny X-Men 2000 - Chris Claremont, Fabian Nicieza, Joe Casey etc. 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 1018 pages
    The advent of the X-Men movie in 2000, saw a lot of UXM books out in this year - covering a reimagination of the origianl team formation, Magneto's Genoshan troubles, the resolution of the Apocalypse storylines, Cyclops' 'death', Xavier leaving, Marrow leaving, Cable and Thunderbird (III) joining, an N'gari/Belasco demon invasion and the new Magik, Claremont's return and the Neo and the equisite 'X-men Forever'. All that is collected in Uncanny X-men # 376 - 388, Annuals 1999 & 2000, X-Babies Reborn, Children of the Atom # 1- 6, Magneto: Dark Seduction # 1 -4, X-Men Forever # 1 - 6, Spider Man & Marrow, X-Men: Declassified, Black Panther # 26 and X-Men: Black Sun # 1 - 5... phew!

385. I'm Watching You- Karen Rose 6/10
    Headline (Hodder Headline), 660 pages
    Karen Rose's second book and as good as, if not better than 'Count To Ten'… a serial killer story with a difference. Criminals involved with sex attacks, that somehow escaped justice start turning up murdered, and all of them seem to be connected to the same prosecuting attorney who failerd to convict them... and that's just the start, as the killing escalates, and the press and other parties interfere the tale gets more and more compelling as it progresses. Another fine piece of crime writing with, as in in her previous book a lot of time building up the lives of the main characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    293) Marina Lewycka - We are all made of glue
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    50. The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman (interesting and a very quick read - only got it yesterday!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    294) A Girls Guide to Kossing Frogs - Victoria Clayton

598 pages of utter claptrap
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    295) Room - Emma Donoghue
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    296) Mini Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    136. The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips - Michael Morpurgo
    137. Pernament Rose - Hilary McKay
    138. A Candle in her Room - Ruth Arthur
    139. The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
    140. Letters from Father Christmas - JRR Tolkien
    141. Caddy Ever After - Hilary McKay. So sad there's only one more Casson book to go:o
    142. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L Frank Baum. Had never read this before, just seen the film.
    143. Looking for Alaska - John Green

144. Magicians of Caprona - Diana Wynne Jones
    145. The Family from One End Street - Eve Garnett
    146. The Oxford Book of Christmas Stories
    147. Forever Rose - Hilary McKay. Finished the series:(
    148. Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse - Rick RIordan
    149. Stories for Christmas - Alison Uttley
    150. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
    151. A Child's Christmas in Wales - Dylan Thomas
    152. Mysterious Christmas Tales - various authors
    153. Uglies - Scott Westerfeld.

I got through the christmas books lol.
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    59 - Dark Flame by Alyson Noel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone planning a challenge for 2011?

211 in 2011?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone planning a challenge for 2011?

211 in 2011?

I'm sure someone will start the thread on Jan 1st. If no-one else wants to I will :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    297) Barbara Trapido - Frankie and Stankie

Excellent read about growing up post was in Durban