This Cot Death storyline in Eastenders

Comments

• fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are correct - all soaps have a silly proportion of shouting and screaming over nothing but Eastenders really did corner the market in it - minimum of 25 minutes for every half hour show.

Which proves you dont watch it! How can you comment on something you dont watch!!!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hate isn't a strong enough word for how I feel about Eastenders. It's an evil programme that should be on BBC3 after 9pm if it must be on at all - truly depressing and is an energy drain on it's viewers. I simply do not see how anyone can watch it and feel anything other than totally miserable afterwards.

Are you me? That's exactly what I think of the show!
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Praise be!! A supporter. I thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    Which proves you dont watch it! How can you comment on something you dont watch!!!

What do you mean? When i have been stuck round someones house on a Sunday and the omnibus is on I am literally in shock at how much shouting and arguing there is in it - i mean I have braced myself for maybe 80% of the shows content to be in this form but it is usually more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean? When i have been stuck round someones house on a Sunday and the omnibus is on I am literally in shock at how much shouting and arguing there is in it - i mean I have braced myself for maybe 80% of the shows content to be in this form but it is usually more.

You must be watching a different programme from me then!

What programmes do you watch then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeymz wrote: »
    Seriously? :eek:
    I guess we should just wrap all children in cotton-wool then and pretend nothing bad ever happens- Its all just smiles and rainbows. We should put that Macca-Pacca nonsence on BBC1 all day In fear that a child might get a glimse of real sadness that occurs all around us.
    I'd actually say it's more emotionally damaging to a child to raise them to be naive and unaware. But each to their own.

You're missing the point completely

As a "vehcile" for promoting any message about serious issues like drugs, rape and murder Eastenders is a laughable way to introduce these topics to your child- farcical in fact. Why?? Because the scripts and characters are beyond a joke and completely out of kilter with real life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    You must be watching a different programme from me then!

What programmes do you watch then?

Peep Show
    The Wire
    The Street
    Sopranos
    Horizon
    Panorama
    Newsnight
    Accused - ( being a good example of how serious issues can be made to be dramatic without becoming farcicial with the likes of the Slaters and Alfie Moon - i'm laughing just typing the name and thinking of his "acting")
    Apprentice
    Banged Up Abroad
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    West Wing
    Storyville

Plenty more.......why? I'm sure some people hate all those, big deal, none of them are scheduled completely wrongly and having an adverse affect on the nation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peep Show
    The Wire
    The Street
    Sopranos
    Horizon
    Panorama
    Newsnight
    Accused - ( being a good example of how serious issues can be made to be dramatic without becoming farcicial with the likes of the Slaters and Alfie Moon - i'm laughing just typing the name and thinking of his "acting")
    Apprentice
    Banged Up Abroad
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    West Wing
    Storyville

Plenty more.......why? I'm sure some people hate all those, big deal, none of them are scheduled completely wrongly and having an adverse affect on the nation.

So its okay for you to criticise people for watching EE but not if they criticise your programmes!! And Im sure if you search the net, you will find people who give what they think are good arguments for some of those programmes being harmful to people, regardless of the scheduling times!!! Hope you wear ear plugs, lots of shouting and screaming in those programmes!!
  • jeymzjeymz Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're missing the point completely

As a "vehcile" for promoting any message about serious issues like drugs, rape and murder Eastenders is a laughable way to introduce these topics to your child- farcical in fact. Why?? Because the scripts and characters are beyond a joke and completely out of kilter with real life.

The storyline in question here is, perhaps "our of kilter with real life" (Much like storylines in many of your favourite shows you listed) however, Eastenders storylines have been praised by charities and groups for raising awareness and portraying something well in the past.
    It's not a "vehicle", it's a tv show. Just because it's one of the most watched doesn't mean it carries a duty to step away from unrealistic drama and focus only on realistic-issues, which, it naturally does portray a lot of the time anyway.

I never said Eastenders was a good way of introducing real-issues to children, but what I said was that hiding your children from the portrayal of darker issues is stupid. There's nothing wrong with allowing a child to know everything isn't happy and jolly all the time.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see that button on the remote control? Well use it...
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done for taking a stand against this rubbish, Crazyeyedkiller.

Unfortunately DS is pretty much an Eastenders love-in community and anything you say thats negative about the programme is going to get a lot of people upset. But when they stoop to such horrible storylines it does need someone to stand up and say "this isn't right"!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Oh jeez, I do not get the big fuss about this. Cot deaths happen in real life, what's the problem with it being portrayed sensitively on a soap?

You hate Eastenders obviously, so you won't be watching it I presume? Thus it will not affect you anyway.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Apparently though, the distraught mother goes and swaps her baby with another one. If thats not the stupidest thing I ever heard then its pretty close. Nothing "sensitive" about that. Its just plain stupid and a definite "out for ratings" move.

I don't watch Eastenders much, but I have enjoyed the odd episode. Of course its all over the top nonsense, but thats what soaps are-escapism.

This though I feel is just plain barmy. But there you go.
  • telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't normally watch Eastenders but am interested (as an adult) in the way they handle this story line. I wouldn't have allowed my children to watch at a very young age and get your point but surely it is up to the family to decide what they watch. An opportunity to discuss such awful issues can be a very useful tool for parents, it is all about how you deal with things.
  • eliza2355eliza2355 Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I used to sort of watch EE but when I found out about this latest story line I just couldnt bring myself to watch another episode . Bad enough it being about cot death but then to swap a dead baby , unreal and to have it on TV at 7.30 -- I think its a step too far and thats not entertainment in I my opinion .
    Well done for starting off this subject
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    If you want to teach your children about life and all of its problems then EE is hardly a good vehicle. Story lines that have included drug addiction and mental health never really show the long term aftermath. The writers just quickly rush it along in time for the next "thrill". See..........this is the inherent problem with soaps. They are designed to entertain and more recently shock. Where as drama is more usually based on an individual subject matter. This will allow scrutiny of pre and post subject. The lines between soap and drama, I feel, are becoming more and more blurred. I suppose this all started with Brookside...........which I loved.

I myself find watching EE depressing whenever I watch a recent episode, and try to explain to my daughter that not everybody is trying to stab eachother in the back in real life.

I myself would like to see something different now as I think that EE is way past its shelf life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that at all.

Apparently though, the distraught mother goes and swaps her baby with another one. If thats not the stupidest thing I ever heard then its pretty close. Nothing "sensitive" about that. Its just plain stupid and a definite "out for ratings" move.

I don't watch Eastenders much, but I have enjoyed the odd episode. Of course its all over the top nonsense, but thats what soaps are-escapism.

This though I feel is just plain barmy. But there you go.

Again, I still don't get what's so bad about this? These things have happened in the world; people snatching children etc etc. Tbh, those who don't watch EE wouldn't understand that this fits well within the context of Ronnie's character. It's her complete and utter grief which obviously leads her to do this, I hardly think they are going about it lightly.

Woops, did I just defend a soap. If this was featured in a film, or a tv drama, there wouldn't be half as much grief.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, I still don't get what's so bad about this? These things have happened in the world; people snatching children etc etc. Tbh, those who don't watch EE wouldn't understand that this fits well within the context of Ronnie's character. It's her complete and utter grief which obviously leads her to do this, I hardly think they are going about it lightly.

Woops, did I just defend a soap. If this was featured in a film, or a tv drama, there wouldn't be half as much grief.

Lol, you will be ok if you go and lie down!

I'm not necessarily concerned about the storyline - I mean its a tv show not real life so I agree its not exactly life altering stuff, but I just think they've been too ridiculous with it all.

Of course distraught mothers snatch kids sometimes - The real life example of Baby Abby comes to mind - but in this case she is taking the body of her dead baby and putting it into another baby's cot and taking the healthy baby away with her - I don't think thats actually happened ever - if it has it was never publicised!

Also, a lot will depend on what happens next. The mother of the healthy child is going to know the dead baby isnt hers right? Because anything else really is absurd. And has no-one ever met the child that is going to die and will know him? In which case they'll know where the kidnapped baby is.

It depends very much on exactly where they take the storyline. But I'd say if they wanted to do a real life portrayal of the horror of Cot Death they are way off the mark - because people are really not going to be able to take this seriously if they have a brain cell.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

And me

To my utter disgust, I have an OH that insists on having this tripe on. Even the theme music makes me puke. I immediately get my earphones out and listen to some music, or even find something to do elsewhere other than the living room.

I can vouch that there is non-stop screaming because wherever I am, earphones in or not - I can still hear them screeching and bawling.

I detest the programme and everyone in it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    kyri wrote: »
    You see that button on the remote control? Well use it...

The off button or the channel up/down one? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders is like a factory.

It produces the constant stream of crap (storylines) which is then packed away. You have your colleagues, many are rubbish at there job (actors) but you have to put up with them to ensure the job gets done. Occasionally you are asked to work overtime to ensure the crap gets done with your colleagues and then the managers (writers) come up with an idea to ensure more of the crap is produced in quicker time to ensure consumers (the viewers) buy this crap that is being churned out at every possible moment available.

If consumers dont like it, there are always other factories doing the same thing.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I've seen alot of television and thousands of movies,yet Eastenders is one of the nastiest things I've seen put to film.And I'm being serious!

None of the characters seem to have any ambition at all.The women are 95% vile,cheaply dressed tarts.The men are either stupid or wannabe Kray era gangsters.Nearly everybody cheats or steals from everybody else.

London is filled with long gone,Only Fools/Minder era type spiv characters living out of a somehow booming,crappy pub.The setting is an out-of-date market,filmed in a very dark,gloomy way.

It is hell with fake cockney accents.:p
  • pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guys it havent even aired yet but yr judging it can we keep from judging it until it aired please
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh jeez, I do not get the big fuss about this. Cot deaths happen in real life, what's the problem with it being portrayed sensitively on a soap?

How often does a cot death happen and the mother swaps the dead baby with someone elses baby? Sorry, i agree with the OP, the storyline is sick
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Peep Show
    The Wire
    The Street
    Sopranos
    Horizon
    Panorama
    Newsnight
    Apprentice
    Banged Up Abroad
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    West Wing
    Storyville

I had a feeling you were going to write a list of mostly pretentious shows. :rolleyes:
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    How often does a cot death happen and the mother swaps the dead baby with someone elses baby? Sorry, i agree with the OP, the storyline is sick

It's the fact that it's being offered as "entertainment" that makes me very unhappy. Some people seem to think that saying "it's only entertainment" justifies whatever foulness might be shown. I think that's an extrememly dangerous moral slope for society.

FWIW, I've watched EE since episode #1, where my only impression was that it was the most miserable, shoutiest programme I'd ever seen. I have a certain affection for some of the characters - they're gits but they're Our gits - but the storylines have gone downhill over the years. Gut-churning despair is not my idea of entertainment.
This discussion has been closed.