Brucie- anyone think he wont go until he has his Knigthhood?

2»

Comments

• IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Gawd - does that mean we're stuck with him on SCD for another year.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He isn't on the list. I have just posted on a thread in the Showbiz forum on here. Have a look if you want a laugh at the opening post.
  • kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    He isn't on the list. I have just posted on a thread in the Showbiz forum on here. Have a look if you want a laugh at the opening post.

brilliant :D you can almost see them bashing out each letter with their forehead in a fit of rage
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I still don't see why he should get a knighthood - and just added some more fuel to the fire over on showbiz!
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    I think the general rule is that you don't go straight in at the top of the honours tree - Kelly Holmes already had an MBE before she was made a Dame ... in the same way that Chris Hoy was an MBE before his knighthood (as were Steve Redgrave and Matthew Pinsett) but Rebecca Adlington had no honour to 'ugrade' and even then skipped the MBE and was awarded an OBE.

After Beijing 2008 they standardised it so that each gold medal equalled one step up the ladder. So Rebecca got 2 and jumped to OBE and Chris got 3 and jumped from MBE to KBE.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    After Beijing 2008 they standardised it so that each gold medal equalled one step up the ladder. So Rebecca got 2 and jumped to OBE and Chris got 3 and jumped from MBE to KBE.

So Steve Redgrave should have two more levels above his KBE then!
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex Ferguson ( Knighted by Blair the day after winning the European Championship........odd?)

He didn't get it after winning the European Championship, that is a competition in which national teams compete. He was awarded after Manchester United won the Champions League, completing a treble of the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League, something which had never been done before in English fooball. That was on top of the major honours he had already won in Scotland and England.

Is that undeserving?
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did actually mean the European club championship.....whatever it was called then as I am completely aware of the difference between National and club championships......and no I don't think people should be knighted the day after their acheivements whatever they are...........during their careers maybe......at the end even moreso but the day after the achievement .......no and not least so that governments can't jump on the tailcoats of achievements or percieved feel good factor
  • hiawathahiawatha Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brian723 wrote: »
    I do not believe in the royal thing, but for sure he should be rewarded for his achievements to entertainment over many generations .

Brucey has been well rewarded for his contributions to show biz. He is a millionaire out of it,
    Far more deserving of awards are people who do some good
    eg surgeons who save many lives.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    hiawatha wrote: »
    Brucey has been well rewarded for his contributions to show biz. He is a millionaire out of it,
    Far more deserving of awards are people who do some good
    eg surgeons who save many lives.

I agree. Knighting celebs, even if they do a bit of charity work, is a bit senseless. If they go out of their way to help people, then that may be different. Millions of people do charity work without any recognition. I don't know how much charity work he does, but he has certainly been richly rewarded for anything he has done. It isn't like he is even very talented. He's been in the business for a long time, but he's been doing a very bad job for the past few decades.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think a Knighthood has anything to do with whether he stays or goes. It is probably more to do with getting the right replacement. He doesn't polarise opinions in quite the same way as John Barrowman, Dale Winton or Graham Norton do.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    I agree. Knighting celebs, even if they do a bit of charity work, is a bit senseless. If they go out of their way to help people, then that may be different. Millions of people do charity work without any recognition. I don't know how much charity work he does, but he has certainly been richly rewarded for anything he has done. It isn't like he is even very talented. He's been in the business for a long time, but he's been doing a very bad job for the past few decades.

I have no problem with some celebrities getting honours, just about every country has some similar system of honours. It is better than senior civil servants automatically getting various honours at various points in their career. I do object to the bias towards Shakespearean actors, classical musicians over people with just as distinguished a career in light entertainment.