• Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Alfie Moon

But mostly because he's disliked!
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    JR Ewing or Ken Barlow for character recognition.
  • Options
    Teabag84Teabag84 Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly I think it's an EE character. Although if it's Dot that's great! I don't think it's anyone from another soap tho. Unless you count people who are now famous round the world and were in a soap? Michael French round the Uk, yes. Couldn't guess anyone else.
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd guess maybe Pat, Peggie or Dierdre?
  • Options
    Neu IntentionNeu Intention Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hard to say. I'd imagine a lot of people know of various iconic characters from EE (Dot, Dirty Den, Phil/Grant/Peggy Mitchell) or Corrie though.

In terms of actors, Corrie and Emmerdale have had some notable names (there could be a long list here - though Eastenders has had its fair share too - Michelle Ryan, Martine McCutcheon, Danny Dyer, Barbara Windsor. Rob Kazinsky (Sean Slater) seems to be on the rise in both American TV and film very recently.

I wonder if due to her high rankings in recent FHM Hottest Women Polls the last few years if Michelle Keegan is known outside of the UK?

Hollyoaks actors seem to be getting their big break on American TV in recent years - Roxanne Mckee (Louise Summers) and Nathalie Emmanuel (Sasha Valentine) have or are starred/starring in Game Of Thrones. Barry Sloane (Niall Rafferty) has been a major character in Revenge. Emma Rigby (Hannah Ashworth) and Rachel Shenton (Mitzeee Minniver) have joined major American shows very recently. The actor who played Newt seems to be in a few successful TV shows atm as well.

I've probably missed many people out here. But you get the idea.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dot Cotton & Peggy Mitchell.

Dot for her Launderette.

Peggy for' Ger atta ma pab!'
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who don't exclude evening soaps, JR Ewing.

Other contenders might be Victor Newman, The Young and the Restless. Stephanie, The Bold and the Beautiful. World wide these programs probably have a wider reach than any UK soap. The actors (Eric Braeden, Susan Flannery) have had some big non-soap roles too.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Peggy Mitchell for her carry on films.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JR Ewing, for sure.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    World wide i'd say JR Ewing without a doubt. It's possibly difficult for people that weren't around in the 70s and 80s to comprehend quite how huge Dallas was - it was everywhere (at least everywhere I went on holiday across Europe like France, Italy, Germany, Spain, even places like Yugoslavia as well as Australia, America, Canada and even Russia I think by the end) and he had a very iconic image with the big smile and stetson. After him, probably Alexis Carrington.

If it is more specific to Britain, i'd still say the above 2 but then Hilda Ogden and Bet Lynch and possibly Dot Cotton.

I haven't read the thread btw to see other answers.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JR Ewing for me too. I was in my teens when Dallas was on and it was my favourite programme. I remember it was talked about everywhere - there was no getting away from it. I was one of many people who got a mug with 'I shot JR' printed on it!!
  • Options
    BBKINGREALITYBBKINGREALITY Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toss up between Shadrack & Jason's dad
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    In the world, right now? With a character still on air?

It wouldn't be ANYONE from a U.K or Aussie soap. It would be one of the stalwarts from one of the U.S soaps who has been there for decades, if we are actually talking the whole world.

Someone like Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke Logan) from The Bold & The Beautiful, Deidre Hall (Dr. Marlena Evans) from Days Of Our Lives or Eric Braeden (Victor Newman) from The Young And The Restless.
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Who shot JR" from Dallas has to be the most famous and iconic soap story worldwide. Most people of a certain age have heard of JR Ewing. For a more up to date soap star I would say Michelle Keegan for being the winner of Sexiest Soap Star six years running and for being top of the FHM Sexiest Woman list.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JR Ewing's portrayer Larry Hagman was also well known in the US, and definitely even in Australia, at the time of Dallas' debut. That's because Hagman's old sitcom I Dream of Jeannie was a regular fixture on Australian TV being repeated and repeated and repeated (along with Get Smart, Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes, Here's Lucy, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch). I think it is likely it had a few reruns in the US too.

I'm not sure if the same thing happened in the UK, but in Australia thanks to all those repeats, Hagman was already well known even before Dallas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihmLRxyus0g
  • Options
    NFAN 21NFAN 21 Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    From Neighbours the most famous characters worldwide are most probably Scott Robinson (Jason Donovan), Charlene Robinson/Mitchell (Kylie Minogue) and Paul Robinson (Stefan Dennis)....
  • Options
    KrstiKrsti Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Alexis Colby
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,303
    Forum Member
    Surely its Shenice?
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenneth Barlow
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NFAN 21 wrote: »
    From Neighbours the most famous characters worldwide are most probably Scott Robinson (Jason Donovan), Charlene Robinson/Mitchell (Kylie Minogue) and Paul Robinson (Stefan Dennis)....

Absolutely, how could we all forget about Kylie Minogue?
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say In terms of people who are still working widely now it would be Kylie or Alan Dale maybe -- he went on to appear in many high-profile American shows, The OC, Ugly Betty, etc. Or there'd be the bit-part soap actors who are now superstars, like Russel Crowe. In terms of people who are mostly only known for soaps I don't think anyone from a UK soap is recognised by the average Joe outside of the UK, even the likes of Ian Beale or Phil Mitchell. As said previously up thread, a few of the HO folks are in the process of making a name for themselves, so give it a couple of years and you might be able to say one of those.

Eta: Just realised it said soap character, not actor. So yeah, I'd go with JR. No one would come close.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Surely its Shenice?

:D:D:D
    Either her or Shirley Benson and her cat.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,303
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    Either her or Shirley Benson and her cat.

And there is Lily Matlock too.